'65 Cutlass Brake question...

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM

'65 Cutlass Brake question...

I also posted this in the brakes section... but figured it is probably better here due to the Cutlass experts on here everyday... Car originally had 4 wheel drum manual brakes. I pulled off the manual master cylinder and used it to replace a worn out unit on my '65 4 door. Now, I recently acquired a power master cylinder off a '66 that had the same 4 wheel manual brakes. From everything I read, this should be a bolt in set up that will work just fine. I have two questions though.. is it truly a bolt on set up, and there is nothing else that needs changed? Secondly, Where do the vacuum lines run to and is there a place to order these? OR is it just a standard size rubber line that I can get at the hardware store. Motor is non stock, '77 403
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 65az
I also posted this in the brakes section...
And unfortunately I'm confused in both places...

Now, I recently acquired a power master cylinder off a '66 that had the same 4 wheel manual brakes. From everything I read, this should be a bolt in set up that will work just fine. I have two questions though.. is it truly a bolt on set up, and there is nothing else that needs changed? Secondly, Where do the vacuum lines run to and is there a place to order these? OR is it just a standard size rubber line that I can get at the hardware store. Motor is non stock, '77 403
What is your question, exactly? Are you asking about the master cylinder or the power booster? If your question is, can you put the 66 POWER brake MC AND booster on the 65 manual brake car, the answer is yes, but you will need to rebend the brake line to the MC to fit.
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:07 AM

The vacuum line goes to manifold vacuum behind the carburetor. Just use hose instead unless you are "restoring" the car.
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info... I hope to get it completely hooked up this weekend. Another question though... The booster looks like it has two vacuum lines that need to go to it? Do both of these come from the manifold?
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Hmm, that is interesting. As far as I know brake boosters use one manifold vacuum line going to them. Maybe someone else knows something I don't. If you have a pic that would be great.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Ben

Don't forget to use the "OTHER" hole in the brake pedal for the pushrod clevis.
There are two holes in the brake pedal, Manual brakes use one hole, power brakes use the other one.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM

ok... sorry it took so long.. here is a picture of the new/old booster/master cylinder with the vacuum hook up...

Secondly.. this is the manifold that is on the car...which has no spots to hook up a vacuum line that I can find.

Lastly... is this a bolt plug that I can change out to install a vacuum line?

Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM

I've never seen two lines like that. If its not too late, I know you said you wanted to complete this over the weekend, this might be a good time to upgrade to a dual reservior master cylinder. With a single if something bad happens and you get a bad leak you'll loose the brakes on all four corners. If you have the dual reservior you'll only loose two at a time and still have some braking ability. Just a thought. John

About where to attach it to the manifold, I don't think the bolt you show in the last picture is to vacuum. The factory manifold has a fitting between the carb and the distributor. Do you have your PVC attaching at the base of the carb in the back? If not, that might be a good place for vacuum. I'd find a port as large as the big port on your booster fitting.

Last edited by 2blu442; August 22nd, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've never seen a check valve like that either. It does just pull out of the rubber grommet and you can insert a normal one instead.