67 Cutlass Supreme Cross Country Trip

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2022, 06:22 PM
Running On Empty

One other item - when you hear the noise, slightly/very lightly apply some braking pressure but keep car rolling (kinda like brake torquing) - noise stop?
Old July 28th, 2022, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I suspect you've already attempted to visualize the tire - rock wedged in tread groove, bulge (bump) in tire, age of tire(?) (old tires which have sat some time can become out-of-round e.g. flat-spot, even if not losing air a nail/screw/piece of metal embedded). A sound like loose spokes on a bicycle makes me think of a flat spot - which generally works itself out after driving a fair distance - tires heat up, check tire pressure.

Any chance the noise is coming from the speedometer cable or speedometer cable housing inside the dash panel?

Any chance the noise is not there in the morning when the wheels are cold - at least not heated up via travel @ 65mph. IOW, no noise when cold, but develops after some road travel? Could be indicative of a wheel bearing (possibly). Cold they get sticky/goopie may not emanate a noise - hot they get loose as a goose (if bad) - could start making noise. Just some thoughts.

It could be other items, but if it's a safety issue/concern jack car rotate wheel assembly listening for noise.
It starts making the noise right off the hop. No changes when braking or coasting. Pretty much the same hot or cold. I can hear it on the drivers side when my window is down, but my wife does not hear it on the passenger side. It doesnt go away with centrifugal force either, like something might when you spin it faster.

I'm going to see how it goes in the morning, and play it by ear. My friend lives in Minnesota, which is where we are headed next. If nothing else, I have AAA+ to get me there, or get the Uhaul of shame and tow it back to Washington.
Old July 30th, 2022, 04:06 PM

We left Wausau, WI, Friday morning, and stopped in Alexandria, MN, at my buddies place. We went through training together in the Navy, and had not seen each other in a long time. It gave us time to jack up the car and look for the clicking coming from the front end. The bearings looked good, but the hub nut came off a little too easy. Not sure if dad rotated the drum as he torqued it down or not, or backed it off too much. Either way, repacked and retorqued, it has not made a peep since. Hopefully it cools off a little bit. North Dakota is above 90 degrees, and the old 2/70 AC on the vinyl seats is getting sweaty.

Also, had to stop in Fargo, to get a picture with the woodchipper. Do not pass up the visitor center there!

Old July 30th, 2022, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

I am so happy you found the issue & resolved the issue. Have a safe & wonderful trip.
Old July 30th, 2022, 04:16 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by fgeese
..... Hopefully it cools off a little bit. North Dakota is above 90 degrees, and the old 2/70 AC on the vinyl seats is getting sweaty.
Glad to hear you are making progress and probably corrected that nasty noise from the front.

I use something like this, a coil wire seat cushion during the summer. It allows the air to get around and under you as you drive. Makes a BIG difference when sitting on vinyl, highly recommended.....

Old July 30th, 2022, 04:19 PM
Running On Empty

I tried to roll over the image to zoom in but it didn't work...
I'm not right in the head...
Old July 31st, 2022, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I am so happy you found the issue & resolved the issue. Have a safe & wonderful trip.
I appreciate the help!
Old July 31st, 2022, 07:43 PM

We left Dickinson, ND, this morning and drove to Bozeman, MT. It definitely helps to drink a lot of water when its 97 out and the windows are down for 6 hours. Everything went pretty good today, until I decided to let the car idle in the lot after dinner. Coolant started spraying out of the overflow cap. Threw a shirt over the fountain to keep it from spraying the paint. Luckily there was a hose outside the hotel to wash off the coolant. Sometimes you learn the hard way. Either way, we are almost back to Whidbey Island. Thanks everyone for keeping track of us, and hoping we make it.

Old July 31st, 2022, 11:20 PM

These work great.
Old August 1st, 2022, 04:49 AM

Great trip, Frank! Love it, what a great experience! I envy you.
Old August 1st, 2022, 04:57 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by fgeese
We left Wausau, WI, Friday morning, and stopped in Alexandria, MN, at my buddies place. We went through training together in the Navy, and had not seen each other in a long time. It gave us time to jack up the car and look for the clicking coming from the front end. The bearings looked good, but the hub nut came off a little too easy. Not sure if dad rotated the drum as he torqued it down or not, or backed it off too much. Either way, repacked and retorqued, it has not made a peep since. Hopefully it cools off a little bit. North Dakota is above 90 degrees, and the old 2/70 AC on the vinyl seats is getting sweaty.

Also, had to stop in Fargo, to get a picture with the woodchipper. Do not pass up the visitor center there!

Greetings shipmate! I spent almost 21 years in the Navy from 75 to late 95. Wouldn't you know, three were spent in Wausau Wi. recruiting, wow! what a small world. I bet the trip has been a blast for and yours and the '67.
Old August 1st, 2022, 05:00 AM

Thanks for taking CO on your adventure, drive safe!
Old August 1st, 2022, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bill G
Dont forget a good old coat hanger- My dad had that on his list in case the exhaust broke..

Ya, you can also use it when you lock your keys in it at Stuckeys getting a pecan roll 😳😩
Old August 1st, 2022, 10:39 AM

Safe travels 😉
Old August 2nd, 2022, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by 67abody
Ya, you can also use it when you lock your keys in it at Stuckeys getting a pecan roll 😳😩
Not if its locked in the trunk. Two things that made my life a little easier. Put the stretched out coat hanger inside the bumper and/or use a hide a key (at least during the day). Or give your wife a spare to carry.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 09:55 PM

Left Spokane this morning, making the last stretch go back to Whidbey Island. Drove up the long grade after crossing the Columbia River Gorge Bridge, made it to the top, then stopped to pee. That grade, and my speed, were too much I guess, and coolant started coming out of the over flow lid. Just sat in the parking lot and let it cool off for a while, then made our way back onto 90 west.

Had to drive up 405 through Seattle. Do not do that unless you like being tortured by terrible drivers and bad roads. Either way, we took the ferry back to the island, and made it home without a hitch.

We got between 18 to 19 mpg doing 70 mph. We drove almost 2900 miles, and drove through 8 states. Went through 2 quarts of oil. Repacked and retorqued one wheel bearing, and over heated twice. All in all, it was a very painless trip. I can now take all the stuff I didn't use back to Harbor Freight and O'reillys. Got it put to bed. Now it just needs a bath and wax. Again, thanks for everyone's support along the way. If anyone ends up on Whidbey Island, hit me up. I make a lot of hard cider every year from our trees, so I have plenty to share.

Frank

Old August 3rd, 2022, 03:27 AM
Running On Empty

Frank - Great story line history about the car, great updates of your trip - happy it worked out so well. Whidbey Island sounds like a great place to reside.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your trip experience. You may not have been overheating, you might have just overfilled the radiator. There needs to be about an inch of head space to let the water expand when hot.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 05:17 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Pressure test that radiator cap...
Old August 3rd, 2022, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Thanks for sharing your trip experience. You may not have been overheating, you might have just overfilled the radiator. There needs to be about an inch of head space to let the water expand when hot.
I'm gonna check it out today and see where it's at. Thank you!
Old August 3rd, 2022, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by tnswt
Pressure test that radiator cap...
I am gonna get a new cap. It is the original cap, and i could hear it hissing when it wasnt boiling over.