'69 Cutlass moulding clips

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2023, 08:01 AM

'69 Cutlass moulding clips

In the process of installing the door & rear quarter trim on the Cutlass. Bought the trim clip kit from Parts Place to do all the pieces a while back. Front fenders were no problem to install the trim but the door & quarters are not cooperating as the clips are different, at least compared to what was on the car. New clips for the doors fit into the slots on the trim but do not slide as needed as they are too large. The quarter clips are also larger than the OE parts and will not allow the trim to snap over them. Fusick guys measured their clips over the phone & confirmed that their parts are the same as those from P/P. Guess I will have to trim each nylon piece to fit unless someone has a better idea or different source. Photos show the new pieces next to the OE parts for comparison. Au-ve-co may have door clips under P/N 10617 or 11288. Anybody have correct P/N's & source fro the door & rear quarter clips?

Waiting for clips

Aftermarket door clip on left, OE on right

Aftermarket rear quarter clip on left, OE on right

Aftermarket rear quarter clip on left, OE on right
Old June 20th, 2023, 12:36 PM

This subject comes up every few months. Every time someone with a '69 convertible has new paint and is trying to install the aftermarket trim clips. I've been there so I feel your pain. First, the door clip you have isn't even close to the original. Notice the 'flares' on the long sides that get captured in the trim. No massaging to do on this one. You have the wrong clips.
The quarter clips should really have a book written about them at this point. There must be multiple sets of tooling out there because what you receive from a parts house is a gamble. Sometimes they're wrong, like the ones you have pictured, and sometimes they're right. Again, ask me how I know. I purchased a set through Fusick several years ago when I painted my car and the bodyman couldn't even get them into the original holes. I purchased a second set and, luckily, they were like the originals. The second set also came from Fusick.
Note the originals used a small o-ring at the top of the 'tooth' that seals against the metal to inhibit water leaks. The replacements don't come with these. You either have to use the originals (if you have them) or get creative. Some guys use a little silicone or other methods to create a seal at the tooth.
Good luck. The car looks sharp.
Old June 20th, 2023, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
This subject comes up every few months. Every time someone with a '69 convertible has new paint and is trying to install the aftermarket trim clips. I've been there so I feel your pain. First, the door clip you have isn't even close to the original. Notice the 'flares' on the long sides that get captured in the trim. No massaging to do on this one. You have the wrong clips.
The quarter clips should really have a book written about them at this point. There must be multiple sets of tooling out there because what you receive from a parts house is a gamble. Sometimes they're wrong, like the ones you have pictured, and sometimes they're right. Again, ask me how I know. I purchased a set through Fusick several years ago when I painted my car and the bodyman couldn't even get them into the original holes. I purchased a second set and, luckily, they were like the originals. The second set also came from Fusick.
Note the originals used a small o-ring at the top of the 'tooth' that seals against the metal to inhibit water leaks. The replacements don't come with these. You either have to use the originals (if you have them) or get creative. Some guys use a little silicone or other methods to create a seal at the tooth.
Good luck. The car looks sharp.
Thanks for the comments. Do you have a source & P/N for the correct door clips?
Old June 21st, 2023, 10:07 AM

Unfortunately, no. Every reproduction supplier offers them but you really have to spend time examining physical examples or really good pictures before pulling the trigger. Fusick does a good job of showing detailed photos of the clips so you can do your best to match them up. The quarter panel clips are a real PITA. Do your best to save as many of your originals as you can. Even the 'good' repops won't fit like the originals.
Old July 7th, 2023, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
Unfortunately, no. Every reproduction supplier offers them but you really have to spend time examining physical examples or really good pictures before pulling the trigger. Fusick does a good job of showing detailed photos of the clips so you can do your best to match them up. The quarter panel clips are a real PITA. Do your best to save as many of your originals as you can. Even the 'good' repops won't fit like the originals.

Got lucky with the door clips. Fellow Cutlass owner found the Body-tite clips in his stash that are extremely close to the OE parts. Surprised that these are still available on line. In the meantime I ordered the clips sold by OPGI. Shocked to find out that those were also copies of the OE parts!!! Trim went on just fine.