'69 Cutlass "S" A/T Console Emblem

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2014, 06:22 PM

'69 Cutlass "S" A/T Console Emblem

I need to have my A/T console bezel repaired and re-chromed (notice cracked upper righthand corner) but I haven't had much luck getting the "rocket" emblem off. Here's a pic:

There appears to be a pin on the emblem that is accessible from the underside. I've tried lightly beating on the pin with a punch and hammer but no luck. If that's the preferred method of removing the emblem, please give me the confidence to go forward and break this part.
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Anyone? I am assuming this bezel is not reproduced.
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:14 PM

No repro's. If you look on the back side of where the emblem is you'll see a slight bubble maybe two, if you grind those down a bit you can push the emblem off with a slim punch or nail. I was able to do this with one of my top plates.
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
No repro's. If you look on the back side of where the emblem is you'll see a slight bubble maybe two, if you grind those down a bit you can push the emblem off with a slim punch or nail. I was able to do this with one of my top plates.
This gets my "Tip of the Month Award"! Thanks, 501Paratrooper. The route I was taking would have ended up in either "warp city" or, more likely, "snap in two city"! The emblem is off and is re-usable.
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:43 PM

Glad I could help someone! Usually it's everyone else helping me!

I had one rechromed at a local shop and wasn't too happy with the quality and it set me back about 250.00. Check with some others on the best places for pot metal rechroming Good luck on your resto.
Old April 19th, 2014, 01:41 PM

Some others have mentioned Ogden Chrome (Ogden Utah) as a good chrome shop, and their website does specify pot metal repair & chroming.
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
Glad I could help someone! Usually it's everyone else helping me!

I had one rechromed at a local shop and wasn't too happy with the quality and it set me back about 250.00. Check with some others on the best places for pot metal rechroming Good luck on your resto.
We've got a local shop but prices have gone through the roof. (Thanks, EPA.) I'm ready to go mail order, but there also is a shop north of Dayton that I will show it to at the Springfield, OH swap on May 23rd.

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Some others have mentioned Ogden Chrome (Ogden Utah) as a good chrome shop, and their website does specify pot metal repair & chroming.

Thanks for the memory jogger Paladin31. I have not used Ogden Chrome but I've recommended them to others. To date, no one I know locally has used them but I have a feeling I'm going to try them. This project will start in about a year and I'll be gathering everything up that needs chrome. Fortunately the PO had the bumpers chromed!