71 Cutlass "442 Clone" Insight

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:06 AM

71 Cutlass "442 Clone" Insight

I'm sure these types of posts are always appearing on these forums but I could use some help.

I'm thinking about buying a 71 Cutlass (pics included), it has 72,500 miles, 350 motor, new trans, interior is in good shape, body appears to be in good shape except the paint job looks too good (makes me wonder what it's hiding), little rust. I haven't had a chance to look under the hood or take it for a drive yet but asking price is $8500. I'm not too familiar with buying cars this old but I get the feeling that price is a little high. Could I get anyone's opinion on the price?

I would use the car as a regular driver you could say, and I'd like to hear from anyone who also drives their similar car as a daily or just about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cutlass.jpg (231.2 KB, 57 views)
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:09 AM

$8500.00 doesn't seem too bad, but you need to touch it, smell it, and drive it first. You're right new paint can hide a lot of sins. Have a look at it and see if it's as advertised. There are a good number of guys and gals on this site that have great advice and insight that will chime in too.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:21 AM
1971 Cutlass S

I drive my 71 Cutlass year round even in the snow! Not that I want to drive it in the snow - but it is my daily driver. Do I like having this car as my daily driver? Well let's see - my previous mode of transportation was a 2001 Taurus which I hated getting in, even though I owned it since new, it blew ice cold A/C, and got decent gas mileage, was clean, never hit, etc. but there are 8 billion of them on the road. it looks like very other car - and no one ever said "Beautiful car" about my Taurus. Now the Olds - The Ac works, but not so great - it is the only one I am aware of in the County I live - the previous owner dumped $20,000 into the restoration - new motor, trans, rear, interior, only issue is ten year old paint that he never got to. I smile EVERY time I get in this car - I get compliments EVERY time I get in this car. It drives down the road straight and true, gets decent mileage as long as I am not driving it hard - so yea - I love my Daily Driven 1971 Oldsmobile.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM

Pics look good. Try and get all the history on the car. I would recommend that you get it up on a hoist and have a real good look. If you don't know what to look for, bring someone who does. Have a good look at the floors and trunk. You can see the rear quarters pretty well from inside the trunk. You can even pop off the door jamb vents (two screws) and have a look inside the rear quarters with a flash light. Check the frame for weak spots. Should be solid. The front fenders just behind the wheel wells to the door tend to rust. Bring a magnet and if it sticks, its metal. If it doesn't, bondo. Open the doors and check for rust. Have a compression test and a mechanical inspection. Well worth the $. Take it for a drive and make sure there are no braking or steering issues, and everything works as it should. I drive my 69 442 ~ 2000 miles (3200 kms, I'm Canadian eh!)
Good luck, I'm excited for you...