71 cutlass choke tubes

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2006, 10:00 AM

71 cutlass choke tubes

I am trying to locate were the choke tubes go. The first comes out of the manifold and screws into the choke housing. Question is were did the second tube coming out of the intake pipe up to?
Thanks
Doc
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Past Administrator

The choke coil on your carb which is the source of the end you know about has a small amount of vaccum on it so it pulls the air through that tube which is in the heat crossover passage on your manifold. It picks up heat and then heats the choke coil which operates your choke. I think (can't remember for sure) the other end should go to a nipple under the lower edge of the air cleaner housing but don't quote me on that. It might just go to a nipple above the choke plate on the carb which is really the same thing. It gets filtered air that way. I guess they don't want some bug plugging it up

If you convert to an electronic choke or a different carburetor than the Rochester you might not even need that and you can plug both tubes or remove them altogether...
Old February 18th, 2006, 09:51 AM

The second tube goes from the intake manifold to the back of the carb. It attaches to a vacuum fitting at the back top-center of the carb. (just below where air cleaner sits) with a short piece of vacuum hose. I replaced the one on my 1971 Cutlass Convertible about 3 1/2 years ago. But I recently replaced the whole hot-air choke setup with a electric choke which works great.