'72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM

dealer badge still there?

Hey, one of the neatest things about your car I noticed in one of your photos. The dealer's script is still on the left rear of the trunk lid! ("Bradley" motors?) Keep that! People used to hate having them on the car because they were just another piece of metal to rust and/or fall off. But I think they add a real hint of originality if still there, especially when they're in as good a shape as yours appears to be.
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Experience with the Tamaz's hoods...

I put 1 if the Tamaraz's hoods on my 70 SX convertible....the main thing I noticed that really sticks out on the hood is the air duct openings on the top of the hood. They are not cut as crisp as the factory hood. I know this because the real deal sits 3 feet away on my 71 442 W-30 (recreation car) and it has the hood, dual gate shifter, rear wing spoiler, rear bumper from an original 1971 442 from Miami, Fla. It had some really funky rust on it and I sold the body after I took all the high dollar goodies off it, even the sport mirrors (reminds me of the grinch who stole xmas) and of course the motor and transmission. The other thing about the hood I had to take care of was the rear trim moulding around the windsheild. I had to take a small air grinder and cut the whole trim piece in 2 because the fiberglass hood from Tamaraz;s was way too thick for the trim to fit back over it but I made it work, I had to epoxy it onto the hood. I guess I could have used something else like doublesided tape or something similar but it looks good. rdokit I wanted to let you know I used to have a 1964 dodge polara almost identical to yours. It had that funky eggshell blue color with the 318 "Y" block engine. Pushbutton automactic of course. That was a pretty fun car. But that was before I drove an Ods for the 1st time. I didn't count my dads 1970 Olds 98 he bought from my sister when I was 14. It wasn't quite the performance level of my buddies 2 Olds 442's he used to let me drive. Good luck with the cutty! Oldsdroptop
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Tha' Big Dog

Red face Whaaa'?

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Hey, one of the neatest things about your car I noticed in one of your photos. The dealer's script is still on the left rear of the trunk lid! ("Bradley" motors?) Keep that! People used to hate having them on the car because they were just another piece of metal to rust and/or fall off. But I think they add a real hint of originality if still there, especially when they're in as good a shape as yours appears to be.
In the almost 12 years I've owned this car I'd never noticed/payed attention to that badge until this moment! Thanks for the heads up, 'cause I'd planned to shave all the chrome(badging, side moldings, etc...) including the door handles when it was ready for paint. Your post gives me pause. Thanks again.

"Originally posted by oldsdroptop"
The other thing about the hood I had to take care of was the rear trim moulding around the windsheild. I had to take a small air grinder and cut the whole trim piece in 2 because the fiberglass hood from Tamaraz;s was way too thick for the trim to fit back over it but I made it work, I had to epoxy it onto the hood. I guess I could have used something else like doublesided tape or something similar but it looks good.

This is one of the things I've heard consistently about all of the reman hoods. How much thicker is it? I thought maybe I could grind that edge thin enough for the trim to fit. Would that muck it up? Your idea sounds good also. How much trouble did you have with fitment & gap alignment? Thats the other complaint I've heard addressed.
Thanks to both of you for your info and advice.
Walt
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Glasstek hoods also have the large rear lip that the chrome will not fit over....Since I do not have a show car I just taped off the area were it went and painted it with chrome paint..........I did the same thing to the cowl hood on my car now........Its nice to not have a show car and get away with some stuff!!!!!!!
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Tha' Big Dog

BIGJERR

Hey Jerr,
Did you have any trouble with fitment issues on yours? I don't plan to have a show car either, just a part-time daily driver(where I can "show" it like you in your sig).
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by A72CUTLAS
Hey Jerr,
Did you have any trouble with fitment issues on yours? I don't plan to have a show car either, just a part-time daily driver(where I can "show" it like you in your sig).
There were some issues but nothing like some of the storys I have heard about the glasstek hoods..........For the price I can live with a few problems........I bought mine at least 10 years ago and I paid $300 for it(CASH NO RECEIPT )

Judge for yourselve here are a few pics with the Glasstek hood on.......

Old July 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Tha' Big Dog

Talking Pretty in pink

Wow... that's what my car wants to be when it grows up! I know with the racing you need the cowl, but to me there's nothing meaner than staring down those "nostrils". And the rear spoiler is the crowning touch! Good job!

Due to my budget, I was wondering if you(or anyone) has had any experience with the pin-on type. If I get the bolt-on it wouldn't make sense not to spring for the $500 air cleaner assembly, right? My worry is that the pin-on will stick out like a sore thumb. Or are they identical until they are raised/taken off?

I appreciate everyones help/advice, I'm getting so excited about this that I've started to consider selling the wife to git'r done NOW!!

JK... maybe... I think