72 Cutlass S w/ Hood Louvers

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2022, 02:02 PM

72 Cutlass S w/ Hood Louvers

Was the hood louver an option or did certain cars come with them? Was it part of the W29 package?

Trying to get some more info as I've seen with louvers, without and the OAI hoods.
Old January 6th, 2022, 08:22 PM

My 72 S had fake louvers.
Old January 7th, 2022, 06:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

There were FIVE different hoods used in the 1972 model year, the W25 hood and four metal hoods. The metal hoods were all four combinations of with and without the fake chrome louvers and with and without the vents at the base of the windshield. The vents were used on non-A/C cars, the A/C cars came with no vents.

The use of the chrome louvers is a little more complex. They were standard equipment on the Cutlass S models. They were optionally available on the base Cutlass Hardtop Coupe as part of the RPO Y75 Exterior Sport Appearance Package. They were never available on the Supreme. The W29 442 option included BLACK louvers, not chrome, on all four models that were available with RPO W29.

Old January 7th, 2022, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There were FIVE different hoods used in the 1972 model year, the W25 hood and four metal hoods. The metal hoods were all four combinations of with and without the fake chrome louvers and with and without the vents at the base of the windshield. The vents were used on non-A/C cars, the A/C cars came with no vents.

The use of the chrome louvers is a little more complex. They were standard equipment on the Cutlass S models. They were optionally available on the base Cutlass Hardtop Coupe as part of the RPO Y75 Exterior Sport Appearance Package. They were never available on the Supreme. The W29 442 option included BLACK louvers, not chrome, on all four models that were available with RPO W29.
This is on an A/C car but not sure if it is the original hood. Which would this be considered? Vin is a 350 2bbl Cutlass Hardtop Coupe

Old January 7th, 2022, 12:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
This is on an A/C car but not sure if it is the original hood. Which would this be considered? Vin is a 350 2bbl Cutlass Hardtop Coupe

As I noted above, that hood was part of the Y75 Sport Appearance option on the Cutlass Hardtop Coupe (3F87... VIN). The "no vent" hood is correct for an A/C car.
Old January 7th, 2022, 12:07 PM

As I noted above, that hood was part of the Y75 Sport Appearance option on the Cutlass Hardtop Coupe (3F87... VIN). The "no vent" hood is correct for an A/C car.
Thanks Joe. What does "N.A. with W29, and W30 Coupe only" mean
Old January 7th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
Thanks Joe. What does "N.A. with W29, and W30 Coupe only" mean
It means Not Available with 442 because that hood comes standard as part of the 442 W29 package so it would be stupid to pay for it twice. It means Not Available with W30 because you had to already select W29 to get W30, plus the fiberglass O.A.I. hood replaces the metal one anyway. And "Coupe only" means exactly that. Y75 was not available on more-doors or wagons.
Old January 7th, 2022, 12:13 PM

It means Not Available with 442 because that hood comes standard as part of the 442 W29 package so it would be stupid to pay for it twice. It means Not Available with W30 because you had to already select W29 to get W30, plus the fiberglass O.A.I. hood replaces the metal one anyway. And "Coupe only" means exactly that. Y75 was not available on more-doors or wagons.
Thanks again
Old January 9th, 2022, 05:30 PM

Scuse me, Yah Honor, but ain't the 442 ragtop a Supreme?
Old January 9th, 2022, 05:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
Scuse me, Yah Honor, but ain't the 442 ragtop a Supreme?
Read it again.

The use of the chrome louvers is a little more complex... ...They were never available on the Supreme. The W29 442 option included BLACK louvers, not chrome, on all four models that were available with RPO W29.
This is a moot point today, since every 442 and Faux Four Two has a repro W25 hood now anyway.
Old January 9th, 2022, 06:21 PM

I understood you the first time. It was a joke, symbolized by the fake Night Court style phrasing and the emote.

Or it may have been Sammy Davis Junior in Laugh In's court.
Old January 9th, 2022, 06:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
I understood you the first time. It was a joke, symbolized by the fake Night Court style phrasing and the emote.
I know. You don't me to let a little thing like that keep me from busting your chops, do you.
Old January 9th, 2022, 06:28 PM

Roger that, carry on.