73-77 Olds guys, how many here?

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2017, 02:00 PM

figured i'd toss my hat in ..another stopping in from 73-77olds, the old yahoo forum, and even the OCC Chapter..(hmm..showing my age..)

Anyway -74 Supreme, needs work but runs great; 74 Salon was 350, now 455/400.. repaint's going on 28 years but still looks decent.. try to keep it stock or stock-looking.. interior was redone with nos velour on those european buckets..
Would really like to find 235-70R15 correct whitewall tires..they just go with the salon caps..
Also would like to get original pinstripe detail for 74 ..my stripe guy (I think) was thinking 76-77 when he did them..my assembly manual showed a thicker stripe..

Will be attending OCA Nats in NM sans Salon, but will definitely be at Gettysburg in 2018.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140615_172250_774.jpg (1.93 MB, 129 views)
IMG_3321.JPG (1.01 MB, 110 views)
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:43 PM

Hello and welcome.

That car looks nice - and especially what you call " European buckets", something i would want instead of swivel buckets. Looks alot more comfy to sit than those torture-seats.
Old January 26th, 2017, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
The oldest set of Mickeys that I have are date coded late 2008 and there is no signs of deterioration on the tires. The S/T from Mickey is a better tire than the BFG Radial TA & the Cooper. I have run all three brands & Mickey is the better choice.
Cooper Tire has owned Mickey Thompson Tires and Wheels since 2003 so I'm sure the MT tires have alot of Cooper Tire engineering influence in them by now. The MT ET Street S/S tires on my race car are fabulous. I really like the look of the MT Sportsman RWL tires you have on your 442 and the MT Sportsman has good reviews as a choice for muscle cars. I would have gone with them on my 442 as well if they were available in the size I wanted. They weren't so I went with the BFG Radial TA.
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:47 PM

1976 Salon

I'm new to the forum but I have owned my 1976 Salon since late 1976 and the car was purchased new by my uncle.

It is a relatively well optioned car with an original sticker of 6495.90. The car was ordered by my uncle with blue super stock wheels and a white exterior with red interior. Possibly the only 1976 Cutlass with this bicentennial color scheme.

Here are a couple of pictures of the car from the late 70s.

Dave Morris
Attached Images
img081.jpg (208.0 KB, 97 views)
img082.jpg (204.3 KB, 90 views)
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Salon 76
I'm new to the forum but I have owned my 1976 Salon since late 1976 and the car was purchased new by my uncle.

It is a relatively well optioned car with an original sticker of 6495.90. The car was ordered by my uncle with blue super stock wheels and a white exterior with red interior. Possibly the only 1976 Cutlass with this bicentennial color scheme.

Here are a couple of pictures of the car from the late 70s.

Dave Morris
Dave, thats awesome you have all the history with this car. Never knew you could order different wheel color. Looks like it has red pin stripe?

Awesome car you should be proud.
Old January 31st, 2017, 05:56 PM

Yes the car has a red pin stripe (hand painted). It is listed as an accent stripe for $23.00 on the invoice. I definitely want that on my repaint but I probably will not put the protective side molding ($44.00 invoice) back as it detracts from the overall appearance of the car.

My uncle tried to order his next (1977) Cutlass Salon in white with blue wheels but that was not allowed by GM. He had his son paint the white wheels blue. My cousin still owns that car.

Last edited by Salon 76; January 31st, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old February 12th, 2017, 11:46 AM

75 Olds

I'm new to the group, but back in June of 2014, I bought a 75 Cutlass 4 door for $1100 dollars in pretty decent shape. It had a few rust spots here and there, original paint, just needs tlc and a paint job. I threw on a President Ford sticker, a disco ball in the mirror, and I'm currently trying to restore it.

So far I've:
  • Changed the altenator
  • replaced the white walls
  • ripped the vinyl top off(gonna replace it eventually)
My list of things to do to it over time is:
  • body work/paint job without vinyl roof(estimated at $3600)
  • reupholster the seats
  • get the weather stripping (leaks when it rains)
  • replace speakers and radio(trying to keep original radio in same place)
  • and get white walls again.
If anyone has any tips, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Old February 12th, 2017, 01:34 PM

Welcome 75 Olds, very nice looking 75- love to see people restoring 4 doors- interior looks nice also.
Old February 12th, 2017, 11:24 PM
Hookers under Hood

A few more added here, welcome Bill G, Salon 76 and Urban Burban. Nice to have you all with us here. A great group of 73-77 guys here always willing to help out with any questions you may have.
Put-r-ther

Eric
Old February 12th, 2017, 11:27 PM
Hookers under Hood

Urban Burban, nice 4 door. Looks to be in good shape. Will be following along with your restoration. If your in need of any parts, just ask, someof the guys here an help you or shoot you a few leads on how or who may have them. INLINE, here, has replaced doors sweeps and I believe weather stripping , he would be a great guy to ask for any assistance if yours need replacing. I'm sure he would be happy to help/ lead you with his experience with those items.
Looking forward to seeing more pics as you go along.
Cheers
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; February 12th, 2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old February 13th, 2017, 12:07 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
The oldest set of Mickeys that I have are date coded late 2008 and there is no signs of deterioration on the tires. The S/T from Mickey is a better tire than the BFG Radial TA & the Cooper. I have run all three brands & Mickey is the better choice.
Thanks for the info on the Mickeys Dave, that's good to know from your experience with them, Looks like I will be fitting a set of Mickeys on my 76 when these T/A's are dried up and ready to change.

Eric
Old February 13th, 2017, 03:57 AM

Welcome UrbanBurban. Nice car! Especially being 4-door. I dont always understand the hype for 2-doors, 4-doors looks nice too and are more friendly to use if having passengers.

As 76olds wrote, i have changed all the weatherstripping on my 76 Cutlass S ( 2-door).
Somewhere there ( inside this forum) youll find some step-by-step guides i made when i changed inner and outer doorfelts, and the weatherstripping running on body where door glass insulates. Their all pretty easy, just takes some time.

E: Spared you from search.

Outer doorfelt:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post989615

Inner doorfelt:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...felt-swap.html

Door body to frame:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...body-seal.html

Roofrail(?) weatherstripping:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ip-change.html

Last edited by Inline; February 13th, 2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old February 13th, 2017, 11:08 PM

Thank you guys so much!!! I appreciate it. I will definitely post photos as I go.
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:52 AM

Four doors need lovin too!!!
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:46 AM

This is a (crazy-low) low-mileage '76 Cutlass I found online over the holidays, thought hard about for a week or so and when I called - gone, of course. Thank you universe for saving me from a car I need like a hole in the head, and continuing to protect my daughters college fund. Oh, and one you can't drive because the main appeal is the low mileage.

Anyways, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere before but thought this group would dig this <7,000 mile, all original '76 in a timeless color combo of silver and black. Can't remember price, but $10K-$15K I think; must have been less than $15 if I even contacted.

Anyways, hope this is OK to insert here, as I consider myself a guy "in between" 76-77 cutlass ownership! Last thing - any idea what the 'button' is on the drivers front fender? I'm assuming it's a key hole for a vintage alarm system like some cars I've had, but...? Cheers- Dan

Last edited by Dan K; February 15th, 2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old February 19th, 2017, 06:52 PM

Well I finally got the motor back in looks a lot better. Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake, Scorpion rockers and new push rods, Comp Cams and lifters, Liberty chain and sprockets, Quick fuel carb. Now on to headers and fuel pump. I did find a dual hump cross member and Eric I think I am going to go with the Hedman Block hugger short headers. I'll keep you guys posted here's some pictures for now.20170219_141631.jpg

20170219_141647.jpg

20170219_141821.jpg

20170219_141712.jpg
Old February 19th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Hookers under Hood

A lot better?? It looks awesome, The quick fuel carb looks great on top. Bet you can't wait to get in fire it up and take it for a run. I know I would haha. Maybe long tubes would be better for your build, are you set on getting the short headers?
Love the pics, either I drank to many JD'S cuz I got dizzy lookin' at em' LOL. Great Pics none the less.
Thanks for posting, we are all looking forward to more, including a video clip with it running after !!
Put-r-ther
Eric
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:19 AM

Thanks Eric, Not sure why they all loaded sideways sorry!! Lol I thought I was going to use long tube headers but now the motor is back in I believe they will be to tight so I'm going with the shorty. Compared to the stock I'm sure they will be much better and yes getting anxious to hear it run.
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:58 AM
Hookers under Hood

Sideways or straight up, its all good haha, we can see them, that's all that matters .
I like the short ones now that they are in, easy to keep clean and look OK coated. However if I had to do it again, I would have gone with the long tubes.
Just because, the bend coming off of the driver side header is very tight and must be mandrel bent, along with placing a small cup like piece to keep the pipes up higher.
Having a good custom exhaust shop can do a good job with them and weld it all up nice.
If your doing this yourself with off the shelf pipes, I don't think you will be happy with the way they are going to hang down with the short ones.
The short ones did make a difference with 2 1/4 duals on my 76, well worth the expense IMO.
I have heard the long tube headman and hooker fit Ok with our cars as well, maybe others will chime in and elaborate on how the long tubes went in for them.
Either way I'm sure you will be happy with them, we would like to see the Pictures of the exhaust when completed for sure. That will help many here and be much appreciated.
I used the Remflex Graphite gaskets, never a problem with them after a couple re-torques after heat cycles.
I hope this helps,

Eric
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:23 PM
Car Farmer

73-77cutlass.com coming soon

I know a lot of the guys from www.73-77olds.com were looking to abandon ship and most have been making their way on here from what I hear. I just want to say that I have purchased a new domain name and am working with a hosting provider (and best friend) this weekend to get a new forum going in the next week or so. I heard some express interest in the name www.73-77cutlass.com so that's what I went with. With that, I am looking to purchase the latest vBulletin software, version 5. Here's an overview of it. http://www.vbulletin.com/en/overview/
There are more robust features, one is the introduction of articles. I think this would be better than creating a "sticky".

I do this kind of stuff for a living, and have a passion in technology so I am willing to be dedicated and open to ideas and keeping the site updated.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:31 PM

Hey, great news!!! Waiting for it!
Its nothing off from this great side, but great for our minority at this site ( who has a 73-77 Cutlass as their hobby-car), so we can find information easier,
and give help to each other.

Last edited by Inline; February 23rd, 2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old February 24th, 2017, 04:06 AM
Car Farmer

I'll keep everyone updated as I go but I see some areas of improvement around routine data backups (especially images and attachments), featuring members, interactions, knowledge base and graphics. There will be either a new registry or the continuation and access to the existing one. I have some ideas around search features and a custom marketplace that will not only include searching of the current site but 3rd parties as well. This is something that I always wanted to do. Obviously this is a lot but at minimum a working and functioning site is priority and it will be a work in progress for a bit.

Something that I did no see previously was software upgrades. The donations that were taken in could have gone towards this and allowed the improvements that needed to happen around new user registration. That would have allowed new members to register more smoothly without human intervention.

I know a lot of people like to use Facebook now, I am one of them but it lacks content searchability (it's archaic) and customizations. Fourms are not dead and I intend to keep it that way, for as long as possible.
Old February 24th, 2017, 07:56 AM

Thanks Nick. It's not that we were looking to jump ship. We wanted to be able to fix it. At least have someone driving that cared. It's difficult when you have that much time and knowledge invested in something, then watch as some else is responsible for it failing, and we are powerless to do anything about it.

It would be nice if there were a way to transfer all of the information though...

Thanks again!
Old February 24th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Car Farmer

Originally Posted by damaged442
Thanks Nick. It's not that we were looking to jump ship. We wanted to be able to fix it. At least have someone driving that cared. It's difficult when you have that much time and knowledge invested in something, then watch as some else is responsible for it failing, and we are powerless to do anything about it.

It would be nice if there were a way to transfer all of the information though...

Thanks again!
The sentiment I felt was mixed, but right. That's what I was wondering, why not figure out a way to make the current site work so we don't lose the content but a few were saying it was time to quit holding on and move on. That didn't settle well with me when I read that to be honest because of the loss of content. The best way out of all of this is for the owner to sell or give it away. The database and files sitting at the hosting provider is what would be salvagable. The domain name isn't that important but a nice to have. Seems like a lot of fuss to me but I am willing to try if it doesn't involve a ton of money in legal services for contracts etc.

I've sent an email to the domain owner to see what can be done. In the meantime, I'm going to talk to my buddy this weekend to see what's involved if the current owner decides to give up the site. He owns a Virtual Private Server hosting business and was involved in a few contractual acquisitions. My brother used his services to get the G-body Olds forum going. The good news is, if they decide to give up the site, I will be able to move the content over to the site I'm looking to create, or retain the current one and upgrade and fix it. It's the same software, but upgraded by 2 major versions.

Hopefully it'll be seamless but if it isn't, there is a way to get it to work in some kind of archival method and coding. If all else fails, there are a few other options I am brainstorming. And if later down the line the opportunity comes to get the content, then I still have the ability to take it on. I am looking to use a new feature by creating articles/wiki's and reference pages as well to alleviate this issue.
Old February 24th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Hookers under Hood

Hey Nick, I'm not sure if you've logged into the 73-77 site today. Just thought I would post the new site up and running with over 40 new members in less than 24 hours. It is gaining lots of attention and will be the new home for us 73-77 specific year Oldsmobiles.... Put-r-ther.
Mrblackwell has taken the time to register the site and take it to the next level. This site can be built up in no time with members joining on a daily, hourly basis.
Even if the archives cannot be recovered from the original 73-77 olds site I don't see it being a problem.
Many members are more than capable of posting the information that will be left sitting on the old server.

Here is the link guys, come be a new member and help rebuild.
http://73-77oldsmobile.freeforums.net/
Classic Olds is awesome and we can all benefit from both sites so come on over guys.
Join today !!
Cheers
Eric
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=Inline;993938]Hey, great news!!! Waiting for it!
Its nothing off from this great side, but great for our minority at this site ( who has a 73-77 Cutlass as their hobby-car), so we can find information easier,
and give help to each other.[/QUOTE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inline,
It would be great if you come over and be a member to the new link I posted.
It would be awesome if you could share all the work you have done to date on the site.
From part purchases, pics and tutorials posted here, this would help out many of us.
Kick off some threads and post your progress on the new growing 73-77 site.
Hope to see you soon.
Cheers
Eric
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:19 AM

Joined and even got approved..

Will write ( copy paste) at some point i have time.
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Inline
Joined and even got approved..

Will write ( copy paste) at some point i have time.
Put-r-ther, your input and time will be much appreciated !!

Eric
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by 76olds
Bump for our 73-77 guys~~
Here is a link guys, come be a new member and help rebuild.
Classic Olds is awesome and we can all benefit from both sites so come on over guys.
Join today !!
Cheers
Eric
Old April 5th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Just thought I would go ahead and add to this thread with an update. The new 73-77 forum site is over 100 members in about a month. I keep up with posts and membership requests on a daily basis, so new members don't have to wait to get in and start posting.

Our love for these cars keeps us looking for a place to talk about them, share knowledge and information, parts, cars, etc.

Give it a look, join us, and share what you have. We can all benefit.

The main focus of the forum is 73-77 Cutlasses, but we have room for everyone!

Thanks,
Scott (mrblackwell17)
Old April 5th, 2017, 06:20 PM

Hello!

I now own four '76/'77 Cutlass cars: (3) '76 Cutlass 'S' cars and one '77 Brougham. One of the '76 Cutlass 'S' cars I am considering wrapping or repainting/making decals to make it into a Nascar look-a-like! Kinda surprised others haven't already restored some of them as Nascar clones after the Nascar craze got into full swing in the '90's. - Brad
Attached Images
Cale - Nascar.jpg (30.1 KB, 51 views)
Old April 7th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Hookers under Hood

That looks sharp !!
I hope you come post them over on the new 73-77 site Scott and I posted, would sure like to see them all Brad!!
Come on over !!
Cheers
Eric
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:26 PM

The original:

http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/index.php

seems to be back at work. New registrations getting through. Welcome.
Old June 1st, 2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrw8i
I was going to rebuild my 455, add new heads, cam, etc. But then I realized, I'm no spring chicken, and as I've grown older I've also got money for someone else to build the engine for me. Mark (CutlassEFI) is building a motor for my '73. Initial dyno using a carb was done last week, there is more work to be done to it (port fuel injection hooked up/tuned) and get it ready for 91 octane, more dyno work to be done.
Here's the beginning. This is pre-EFI, using a carburetor for the initial dyno at 93 octane. Final results will be lower as it will be de-tuned for 91 octane pump gas and EFI usually slightly lower HP than Carburetor.
My Engine Rebuild Thread
Originally Posted by 76olds
Hope to see some pics when its all done, your in good hands with Mark. I'm sure you will be more than happy when you get your engine back in the car.
Thanks for keeping us posted.
Cheers
Eric
Got a package delivered last week.

Old June 1st, 2017, 07:22 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

1976 Cutlass...42,656 original miles..could not resist. Almost fell asleep in it at the shop..lol
Attached Images
IMG_0399.JPG (2.29 MB, 40 views)
IMG_0400.JPG (1.63 MB, 40 views)
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:24 AM

Nice score, and welcome to the group.
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:48 PM
ph_ckstick1

My new to me.. 1975
Big learning curve on these..

Will be looking into firming up the ride a little..
Most likely start with new shocks and sway bar links and rubber mounts..
Attached Images
75 olds a.jpg (1.61 MB, 30 views)
75 olds b.jpg (1.55 MB, 29 views)
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Hookers under Hood

Got a package delivered last week.

Ahhh nice !! I can see you havin' some fun with that. Keep us posted please!!

Cheers
Eric
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:56 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by 74hurstolds
I just want to say that I have purchased a new domain name and am working with a hosting provider (and best friend) this weekend to get a new forum going in the next week or so. I heard some express interest in the name www.73-77cutlass.com so that's what I went with. With that, I am looking to purchase the latest vBulletin software, version 5. Here's an overview of it. http://www.vbulletin.com/en/overview/
There are more robust features, one is the introduction of articles. I think this would be better than creating a "sticky".

I do this kind of stuff for a living, and have a passion in technology so I am willing to be dedicated and open to ideas and keeping the site updated.
I take it this never left the ground..
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by sammy
1976 Cutlass...42,656 original miles..could not resist. Almost fell asleep in it at the shop..lol
Nice find, thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: 73-77 Olds guys, how many here?