73-77 Olds guys, how many here?

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2018, 03:52 PM

YouTube video

My 1973 442 freshly restored.

Old June 4th, 2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Nice car. Nice job.

I plan on doing the same thing with the wheels on my '73 that you did. Can I ask for your offset and backspace measurements as well as where you got them from?

Thanks,
Mike
Old June 4th, 2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by mrw8i
Nice car. Nice job.

I plan on doing the same thing with the wheels on my '73 that you did. Can I ask for your offset and backspace measurements as well as where you got them from?

Thanks,
Mike
Old June 4th, 2018, 06:30 PM

rims

Originally Posted by mrw8i
Nice car. Nice job.

Thanks,
Mike

The wheels were made by Specialty Wheel but are no longer made & Specialty Wheel was bought out by Stockton Wheel in 2017. Note the chrome lip that does not use a trim ring.

fronts are 15 x 7" with 4.375" BS while the rears are 15 x 8" with 4.5" BS.
Old June 6th, 2018, 12:01 PM
jrV

Hi all! I have a 74 Cutlass Supreme with just a bit over 60K miles. All black, 455ci. The Olds sat in my mom and step-dads shop for 8 years until I got it. I brought it home (drove it) and I'm working on getting it freshened up so I can drive it occasionally. My step-dad was planning to swap a built motor just because so he parked it in the shop in preparation for a future transplant. I also have a bunch of motor parts to play with (short block, heads, carb, and misc). Not really sure what his exact plans were and I'm not sure what direction I'll take. Seems like it could be a lot of fun. I'll try to remember to post some pics.
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Hookers under Hood

Good to have you with us jrV. Keep us posted on the progress. We do like pictures when you get the chance.
What heads are amongst the spare parts? Your step-dad may have been wanting to build something with better heads than the stock smog J heads.
Just a thought.
Eric
Old June 7th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Acceleratii maxim rapidus

I thought I'd better get mine in here for posterity.

Bought new in Coquelle, Oregon 1973. Spent her life in and around Coquelle and Powers. Last registered in Powers OR, 2004.

Bought from a car yard in Powers late 2005 and shipped with 6 other cars (all chevy's) to Australia. Purchased by me in 2010.

She now has a Posi rear with 3.23 gears.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...australia.html

Last edited by 73aussie455; June 8th, 2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old June 7th, 2018, 02:36 PM

I have a rechromed front bumper that I believe to be a 73. I was told the 442 front bumper is different than the one I have for sale and mine is for a cutlass.
Can anyone explain the difference?

Nice car BTW, I dig the swivel buckets and it sound great
Old June 7th, 2018, 02:47 PM

bumpers in 1973

Originally Posted by scrappie
I have a rechromed front bumper that I believe to be a 73. I was told the 442 front bumper is different than the one I have for sale and mine is for a cutlass.
Can anyone explain the difference?

Nice car BTW, I dig the swivel buckets and it sound great

Cutlass, Cutlass S & 442 bumper are the same.

Cutlass Supreme, Vista Cruiser & Cutlass Salon are the same.

all were available naked, with rub strip or rub strip & bumper guards.
Old June 7th, 2018, 03:54 PM

Thanks Dave, so what is this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5858.JPG (1.48 MB, 21 views)
IMG_5859.JPG (1.43 MB, 15 views)
IMG_5860.JPG (1.38 MB, 11 views)
IMG_5861.JPG (1.44 MB, 11 views)
IMG_5862.JPG (1.35 MB, 11 views)
IMG_5863.JPG (1.34 MB, 16 views)
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:07 AM

Evening.

For starters- thanks for all the anwers about a/c delete- im def. going to aftermarket delete. For second - swivel bucket seats are s**t to sit- i have those, and planning to change them out.

And Welcome jrV!
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Inline
Evening.

For starters- thanks for all the anwers about a/c delete- im def. going to aftermarket delete. For second - swivel bucket seats are s**t to sit- i have those, and planning to change them out.

And Welcome jrV!
Have you made a decision on what seats your going to install when its time ?
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:35 AM

Evening.

And Welcome jrV!
No s**t. They were cool and comfortable 40 years ago, not anymore.
Old June 15th, 2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Have you made a decision on what seats your going to install when its time ?
I quess im going to hunt down original non-bucket separate seats to front, to still keep factory look. Since im anyways going to need to cover my rear seat at some point.
Althought its spotless, its so fragile due to sun, that when i once sat there, it started to fall apart.

My car has been on sleep due to delays at machine shop, so im aiming to next summer. Gonna add some "new" things to my build now when i have the time.
Truth to be told, ive been sooo busy at work, that i wouldnt even had a time to build it now, weekends go for resting and doing yard-work at our house, averaging around 14 hours a day at work currently, and its hard and consuming work.
Old June 16th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by GoolzCutlass
Anyone know where to find a cowl hood for a 77 cutlass s ? I am surprised i am having such a difficult time finding one online. thanks
Just had a 4-1/2" cowl bolt-on hood done for my'86 442 from VFN. I asked them to do a 5-1/2"-6" cowl hood for me and they said no, needed the extra clearance. But they don't or won't do customs hoods anymore. I said, since when, because they did my 5-1/2" cowl bolt-on hood for my '77 S. All she would say was sorry. Kinda sucks because when times were good for me they were going to do fenders for my '77, they just needed mine for molds.
Old June 17th, 2018, 08:56 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by Rocket 78
Just had a 4-1/2" cowl bolt-on hood done for my'86 442 from VFN. I asked them to do a 5-1/2"-6" cowl hood for me and they said no, needed the extra clearance. But they don't or won't do customs hoods anymore. I said, since when, because they did my 5-1/2" cowl bolt-on hood for my '77 S. All she would say was sorry. Kinda sucks because when times were good for me they were going to do fenders for my '77, they just needed mine for molds.
venders only allow themselves to be burned a few times before they stop doing custom stuff, And if they think they'll never re-coop the time out of building that one off, they'll not bother.
Can't blame them, fiberglass companies take a beating from customers that think a part will fit perfect and not need body work.
To many have blasted them on social media after they have built a one off part.
So if you want a 5.5-6" cowl, get a hood and a scoop and mold it in yourself.
Sadly it only takes a few to make a vendor say the hell with it.
Old June 18th, 2018, 07:49 PM

I wasn't blasting any company just saying it sucks they weren't interested in doing so anymore. And 76-77 cowl hoods do exist. Plus your right they aren't just bolt on and go, it takes a lot of modification to fit.
Old June 18th, 2018, 08:54 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by Rocket 78
I wasn't blasting any company just saying it sucks they weren't interested in doing so anymore. And 76-77 cowl hoods do exist. Plus your right they aren't just bolt on and go, it takes a lot of modification to fit.
problem today, is the internet gives customers a voice, this is good and bad.
The bad is people tend to lie/fib , and put the company/vendor in a bad light, they can not please everyone even if the customer was wrong.
Most are small outfits and can't have a person(s) on the net all day defending themselves. So, unless you are a big name builder, or asking for a part they think they can sell enough units of the part to warrant the labor for the molds. They pass. Sorry if you took it as a personal attack, but many vendors that service smaller brand/model lines. are stopping because it isn't worth the beating they take from customers that think a repopped part for their car should fit like a 2018 lexus. When most times the repop fits as good or better than the oem replacement part did.
Many forget that many body panels sold over the counter by the oem's were line rejects, meaning when the car was going down the line the part fix like crap and was rejected, it then got boxed up and sold as a replacement body part.
I've watched vendors back away from the smaller hobby cars/models and stick with the popular ones (57 chevy/chevelle/etc) because the off brand model owners tend to be __________________. (you fill in the blank) .
Why spend the time and funds to remake a part only to get hammered for it on the web. so they don't bother.
After offering parts for a model that was only built for 5 model years and it fitting better than oem but getting bad reviews because the customer thinks it should install itself. I stopped. and many that used to supply to that model have also. it is sad really.
That said. and good body shop should be able to put a 5-6" cowl fiberglass scoop on a fiberglass hood. without much trouble. you might not like the labor bill,to have it done, and part of the reason VFN most likely said thanks but no thanks. building molds is labor intensive, if they can't get a return from the investment ,they are a business after all.
Most are not willing to spend 3000-6500.oo for a one off hood.
No idea if you would or not. but building the buck then forming a mold, shop hours add up fast.
They have to look at it as how many of that car it fit, how amny on road/left , and how many out of that will want/need a hood like that and buy one. ? when the answer is most likely the mold will just collect dust. they'll pass.
There is always the buy flat hood and a cowl scoop and some fiber mat and resin and goto town.. You might find you are good at it.

Last edited by midnightleadfoot; June 18th, 2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old July 29th, 2018, 10:00 AM

'76 H/O Concept

Hey all, havnt been on the site in a while, post on the 73-77 Olds forums but my pics upload upside down there for some reason. Not good with smart phones, was trying to upload pics to computer. Just figured out how to view full size and edit post. Anyway, down to the one car now, finally got it road worthy after 12 years. Take care, Todd

Last edited by ragz442; July 29th, 2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old July 30th, 2018, 06:04 PM

Todd- love the new pics - looks awesome can't wait to see and hear in person , really like the black wall tires. Maybe can persuade you for a ride in this beauty.

you going to Hines drive in late Aug - it's a great event
Old July 30th, 2018, 08:45 PM

Thanks Larry. Haven't hit Hines Drive yet, something to shoot for this year for sure. Woodward cruise in a few weeks, will be in Pontiac like always. Definitely need to start driving it more now that it's back together for the most part. Still working bugs out, but getting better each time out driving it. It sat for a long time and was pretty rough when I bought it in '06. I'll get a hold of you, thanks again for all the help and info. Todd
Old August 1st, 2018, 01:29 PM
Jeff

Todd, nice job. Can't say I've ever seen a Cutlass in that color combo. Nice touch w/ the Bicentennial plate, too.
Old August 1st, 2018, 03:41 PM

Thanks Weezer. It's the original code 50 Cream exterior with saddle/buckskin interior. Olds called it Compacticolor (sp) I believe on the 73-77's. The dash, console, column etc. were a different color then the rest of the interior. I added the light buckskin in the door/quarter trim centers. The seats were recovered in cloth when I got it. The H/O conversion was done by the origInal owner who worked for Hurst. Larry, the first replier to my post knows more than I about the cars history. I painted it in my garage 4 years ago with PPG single stage urethane, came out decent with no booth.

Last edited by ragz442; August 3rd, 2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old August 4th, 2018, 12:53 AM

ragz442 - that looks awesome! Colour is actually surprisingly good the more you look at it.
Whats done on motor, atleast Holley Street Dominator intake sits there..
Old August 4th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Thanks Inline. It's the numbers matching 350, bored 30 over, forged flat tops, Lunati cam, original 8 heads, milled, mild port/blend work, 3 angle, welded center dividers. Ebrock 1407 carb, Long tube headers, Melling HV pump, etc. I rebuilt it in '09, sat on a stand for several years, then between the frame rails for a few more. Fired and broke in Spring of last year. Haven't put many miles on it, probably around 1K, it runs good. Fresh rebuilt 350 turbo, 3.42 anti spin 10 bolt diff. It barks 2nd and 3rd gear shifting the dual gate manually. The CR came in around 9.5 and I'd estimate around 350 HP.

Last edited by ragz442; August 4th, 2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: added pics, working on smart phone skills....lol
Old August 4th, 2018, 11:40 PM

Thanks for insight.

Out of curiosity, what long headers did you fit? From all the topics concersning our 73-77 and headers, i quess they required some "massaging"..
Engine sounds great deal for a cruiser, which i quess youre doing with that beauty. I need to get front-seats like you have, to junk ( store) my swivels..
Old August 5th, 2018, 06:27 AM

Thanks for insight.

Out of curiosity, what long headers did you fit? From all the topics concersning our 73-77 and headers, i quess they required some "massaging"..
Engine sounds great deal for a cruiser, which i quess youre doing with that beauty. I need to get front-seats like you have, to junk ( store) my swivels..
The headers are an unknown brand. If I had to guess I'd say Headmans. They were on the car when I bought it in '06, heavily surface rusted but solid. I sand blasted them to bare metal and painted them with high temp black BBQ grill paint. It's held up well to this point. I've had headers on a few of the 76-77's I've owned over the years, the passenger side always went in with no issues, have had to massage the #5 tube a little to clear crossmember and brake line. Ironically I have swivels that I want to put in my car, but put that project on the back burner for now. The cloth strato's are comfortable though, may just stick with them. There was a nice set of Stratos with seat belts in red listed on the 73-77 Old forums for sale.
Old August 5th, 2018, 06:58 AM

4 decades of 76-77 Cutlass's

1980's: '76 442. The one that started it, purchased 1980. Pic taken Winter 1981 @ my Dads Service Station Woodward Long Lake Mobil:

1990's: '76 Supreme, purchased 1994:

2000's: '77 442, purchased 2002:

2010's: '76 H/O Concept, purchased in 2006. I have so much time and money in this one I'll be buried in it....lol

Last edited by ragz442; August 5th, 2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old September 1st, 2018, 03:42 AM

After some searching, visualising etc.
Soon ill receive an hitch, commercially available. Will see how it fits. It should fit pretty close, and assemble with minor work ( might need to use torch to hitch). Ill keep you updated on this. If it fits with minor work, its great! Then i can buy that vintage Eriba Troll and start to tow it with my Cutlass. When i get my Cutlass done.. Of course you can make custom hitch, but having something that fits off-the-shelf would be far easier, and great every way.

ragz442, youve had some mighty fine Cutlasses. Ive always wondered, about that two-tone paint ( which im not too fond of), that it might look great if the border between colours would be raised almost to top of wheelwell.. Not level, just a tad below, lets say few inches. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Inline; September 1st, 2018 at 03:45 AM.
Old September 1st, 2018, 07:22 AM

Good luck with your hitch install Inline, my first '76 had a hitch when I bought it, I only used it a couple times to haul stuff to my parents cabin up north in the early/mid 80's pulling a small utility trailer. It's been so long ago now can't tell you what type it was, but they were pretty common back then. Not quite sure what you mean about the stripes, they followed the body line and convex curves on the fendes/quarters. I've had a few over the years, two with original paint and they didn't follow the wheel wells exactly the same on either. It was the 70's styling, love it or hate it.......most people hate it from my experience.

Old September 2nd, 2018, 11:47 AM

Todd - cool old picture , looks like a bumper hitch

i have two hitches in storage, one bumper and the other one that bolts to frame , back in the day my dad used his 77 like a truck the frame style hitch held up the bumper from falling off for many years.

Still have the extended mirriors that hook to front fenders also - pack rat!
Old September 2nd, 2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by first77
Todd - cool old picture , looks like a bumper hitch

i have two hitches in storage, one bumper and the other one that bolts to frame , back in the day my dad used his 77 like a truck the frame style hitch held up the bumper from falling off for many years.

Still have the extended mirriors that hook to front fenders also - pack rat!
Larry, that was an old Polaroid I scanned years ago, pretty grainy. I do believe you are right and it was a bumper hitch. Even though the car was only 5 years old at the time, I was probably living on the edge the way the bumper supports rusted out on them....lol. My old '61 Econoline is in the back ground right after I installed new panels and painted it. It was the first year for the suicide vans and they didn't make too many like it. I kept it for over 20 years and the only other '61 I've seen was the pick up version. The Impala was my brothers, a '63 SS 4spd car, that is one of several we wish we could have back.
Old September 6th, 2018, 11:41 AM

Evening.

So far so good- received my package today, just came home to sleep as usual on week, but tooked a sneak peak of whats inside. Few dimensions i took from my car matched pretty close, and overall shape looks promising. I see myself spending some time at saturday on garage..
Old September 6th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Hookers under Hood

Love the pictures Todd, thanks for posting ! So nice to finally see it done to perfection. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come .

Put-er-ther !
Eric
Old September 7th, 2018, 09:09 AM

"No dice". Didnt fit. But was cloooose
Curt # 12009 - hitch for whale-generation caprice/ roadmonster etc. SEDAN. The width was spot on- fit the end of frame rails.
Towing receiver tube was *JUST* too high and hit the bumper- so i need the WAGON one, with receiver tube welded under the cross-tube. And those two supporting bars bolting to frame to prevent twisting, were on wrong angle. On WAGON model #12041 supporting bars are even more on wrong angle, but the receiver tube is at correct Place.

Sooo.. Next im buying the WAGON model. It needs just heating up the supporting bars, bending them to correct angle, welding supports to side of them to keep them at there, and voila, our 73-77 GM A-bodies have a near-fitting commercially available hitch…

Ps. Its class 2, so 1350/350 lbs. I really dont get your system. We have just one weight for particular car, no classes. And by the look of that one i received, its more sturdy than for example one on T5 VW Transporter 4x4, with a tow-weight of 5511lbs...

Still going to keep you updated!

Last edited by Inline; September 7th, 2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old September 8th, 2018, 02:41 PM

Count me in!

New member here out of AZ, got my 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, trying to keep as stock as possible, but needs some upgrades and improvements:

Old September 8th, 2018, 10:56 PM

Hello and welcome!

Oh my, what a coincidence. My car came to Finland after spending 37 years at AZ ( its 76' too btw), and its upper ( its a 442 so two-tone paint) body colour is exactly same as yours.
And what hit my eye, is that is exactly as badly faded due to sun as yours My co-drivers side is the looker, shiny , and drivers side + top of car, as seems to be case in yours too, is burned on sun.

But nice car, give us some more information when you have time.
Old September 10th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by James W. Frey
New member here out of AZ, got my 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, trying to keep as stock as possible, but needs some upgrades and improvements:
Welcome to the 73-77 year thread on Classis Olds !
Nice 76 James, What are you planning on upgrading? Keep us and everyone else posted !

Eric

Eric
Old September 10th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with upgrade projects...
Old September 11th, 2018, 03:06 PM

nice solid looking car james ! Have fun with it .And ragz nice cars with some nice hi-def pics !

Quick Reply: 73-77 Olds guys, how many here?