Bucket seat headrest question

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Bucket seat headrest question

Just want to verify with someone else who has recovered their bucket seats or replaced their headlock assemblies. I've taken them apart and have recovered one already but got a little confused when I received the replacement lock assemblies from OPGI. The metal bracket goes on top of the vinyl and then the lock assembly? I started to second guess myself when the replacement lock assembly didn't fit like the originals! Like every other damn after market part does. Anyhow, the metal bracket doesn't go underneath the seat vinyl, right? I see that the metal bracket is suppose to recess under the chrome lock assembly so that you don't see it when attached to the seat. Well the fact is the plastic insert on the bottom of the OPGI lock assemblies is twice as thick as the original lock assemblies on the car. So the metal bracket can easily be seen. So I started to think I made a mistake and the metal bracket goes underneath the vinyl and then the lock assembly....but I don't think so.....Any help out there would be appreciated....
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hinz57
Just want to verify with someone else who has recovered their bucket seats or replaced their headlock assemblies. I've taken them apart and have recovered one already but got a little confused when I received the replacement lock assemblies from OPGI. The metal bracket goes on top of the vinyl and then the lock assembly? I started to second guess myself when the replacement lock assembly didn't fit like the originals! Like every other damn after market part does. Anyhow, the metal bracket doesn't go underneath the seat vinyl, right? I see that the metal bracket is suppose to recess under the chrome lock assembly so that you don't see it when attached to the seat. Well the fact is the plastic insert on the bottom of the OPGI lock assemblies is twice as thick as the original lock assemblies on the car. So the metal bracket can easily be seen. So I started to think I made a mistake and the metal bracket goes underneath the vinyl and then the lock assembly....but I don't think so.....Any help out there would be appreciated....
From what I can remember the metal bracket does go over the vinyl. I did my seats years ago on my 70 with kits from Year One and they fit well! The brackets would be very hard to get in the right place if they were to go underneath I would think.
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM

I'll confirm what DarrylJ said....the metal bracket goes on top of the vinyl seat cover surface.
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Well that's what I thought, but I just needed verification. You can easily tell that the plasic disk under the new chrome lock assembly is twice as thick as my originals. So like I said the bracket can now be seen instead of concealed like it is designed. It does not look good at all. The only way I can see to make it work is grind down the rim on the metal bracket so that it is more concealed by the lock assembly. Just another alteration to make these after market parts work....

Like one other member told me before....welcome to the wonderful world of Chineseism!
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:09 AM

I agree with the other guys. Here's some pictures I took a while back on a set of 1969 buckets.

P1010518-1.jpg

P1010520-1.jpg

P1010523.jpg

P1010524-1.jpg