carb

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2021, 05:05 PM

carb

67 supreme, all stock original. original carb is messed up beyond repair. ive had two other quadrajets on it, and it runs like *****. ive tried a rebuild kit. i consider myself a decent mechanic, i can usually make anything run. i can rebuild 4 carbs on a motorcycle and have it perfect. so........im done with it.
what carb are you guys running other than quadrajet, that you like. im looking for out of the box, bolt it on, done.
Old November 1st, 2021, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by irydasteelhorse

im looking for out of the box, bolt it on, done.
I don’t think that exists. You will need to tune a carb for your application.
Old November 1st, 2021, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Are you sure it's the carb. There is an old saying "90% of carb problems are ignition related".
Old November 1st, 2021, 07:48 PM

no, its definately carb
Old November 1st, 2021, 08:24 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Nothing beats a properly set up QJ....but...The Ebrock AVS2 is a good alternative. The 1400 or the 1900 series. Watch the vid to aid in proper selection or call them. Buy the larger rod spring & jet kit. Follow the tuning instructions. I have a 1900 on my 327 Vette. I like it. You can change the rods springs & jets without disassembling the carb...on the car.

https://www.edelbrock.com/shop/carburetors.html
Old November 1st, 2021, 08:54 PM
72Cutlass S

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Nothing beats a properly set up QJ....but...The Ebrock AVS2 is a good alternative. The 1400 or the 1900 series. Watch the vid to aid in proper selection or call them. Buy the larger rod spring & jet kit. Follow the tuning instructions. I have a 1900 on my 327 Vette. I like it. You can change the rods springs & jets without disassembling the carb...on the car.

https://www.edelbrock.com/shop/carburetors.html
The E Brock carbs are very user friendly regardless of what some members say. I have owned GMs with Q jets that ran like fuel injection and I have had some that there was no saving. It comes down to picking your battles. I have never had a problem dialing in carter afb/edelbrock style carbs. I have one on my Cutlass S 455 and it runs perfectly.
Old November 2nd, 2021, 05:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Any aftermarket carb will typically be set up perfectly out of the box - for a CHEVY motor. Unless you plan to run a AFR meter and play with jetting, find someone who actually knows how to properly rebuild and adjust a stock Qjet.
Old November 2nd, 2021, 06:02 AM

67 supreme, all stock original. original carb is messed up beyond repair. ive had two other quadrajets on it, and it runs like *****. ive tried a rebuild kit. ........im done with it.
Not bustin your *****, but you’ve had 3 different carbs on it and couldn’t solve your running problem. There is no better carb than a well tuned Qjet, there are other good carbs but wouldn’t it make sense to properly rehab/rebuild one of the Q’s or use all 3 to arrive at all good components? It’s meant to be there, the linkage, lines & choke will be right, you’ve got a little bit of tuning flexibility between rods & jets amongst the carbs…

I get that you’re done dickin with it and maybe the other carbs don’t belong to you but I can only guess you’re missing something. I hope you can solve problem(s) so you can enjoy your car, regardless how you handle the carb situation. Might not hurt to post details of the offending behavior, there’s lots of sharp people here that might be able to help from afar with fresh points of view.

​​​​​​….
Old November 2nd, 2021, 11:00 AM

As many others here mention, a properly setup Quadrajet should work great for your application, and since it sounds like you have more than one in your possession, you might consider finding an expert to rebuild one for you.

Since I switched from a 2bbl to an Edelbrock Performer intake for my 68 350, I needed a new carb, and since I did not already own a Quadrajet, I bought one of the cheapest new Holleys I could find, a 600 cfm 4160 model. I have a lot more experience with Holleys, and they are dead simple to rebuild and modify; but the main reason I did this was to keep the costs down. I paid as much to have an "expert" rebuild my 2bbl as what I paid for the brand new Holley. I probably could have gone with more CFM, but I do not intend to spend much time in high RPM with my old engine. When I get around to rebuilding it, I plan to switch to EFI, so keeping this cheap and easy were my goals.

But as Joe said, it was not ready to go out of the box regardless of what Holley said. That said, it did not take much to dial it in to my liking. I replaced the vacuum secondary spring housing with the quick change version which does not require you to remove the choke to change the springs. I switched to the second lightest vacuum secondary spring. This seemed to work well for my engine. I did not have to change the jets, but I did have to change the idle mixture setting and idle speed. Keep in mind that this also required wiring up the electric choke, finding a proper bracket for the throttle and installing a spacer / adapter to fit properly.

By reading the spark plugs, it seems fine. I may add a wide band O2 sensor and work on the jetting at some point, but it works great as is. The engine is strong, runs smoothly, starts easily and has great throttle response. All in, I am close to $500. You could probably do better buying off of ebay or Craigslist, though.

Old November 2nd, 2021, 01:21 PM
Rocket Renegade!

If you're dead set against the QJ, I've had good experiences with the Holley Street Avenger. Runs well out of the box (at least it did on my Chevy L-79) and if it doesn't, it's very tunable. 'Course now you'd be looking at an open-plenum manifold for the square-bore if the holes don't line up. But you'd probably be doing that with anything that isn't a QJ.
Old November 2nd, 2021, 01:57 PM
Banned

When you say messed up beyond repair what does that mean? Is it damaged?
Old November 2nd, 2021, 02:20 PM

the original carb, i would love to have kept, but it was leaking at the fuel inlet, threads were bad. got one of those "repair" pieces, which is basically a longer threaded brass version, put it in, still leaking, gave it one last lil tug, and it broke off inside there. crappola, that ones gone. second and third are extras, but it seems any time i open the top of one of these, for any reason, i have float and or choke issues. i hate that you have to tear into it so far to get to the damn float, only to find out its not quite right and have to go in again. even after a kit, ive got bent linkages, bad chokes, and im frankly just tired of messin with it.
so........im gonna take all three, just as you say, take my time, and make one out of three. at least ill give it a serious try.
ive never had so much carb trouble in my life, and ive done 4 carb setups on motorcycles...............
Old November 2nd, 2021, 02:28 PM
Banned

It is possible to have three carbs with issues I suppose. I have the factory Quadrajet on my 66. I rebuilt it once myself. I had not rebuilt a carburetor on my own before. (Well other than plenty of motorcycle carburetors.) I have had zero issues with the carb since. Rebuilding a carburetor wasn't nearly the brain damage that I had expected. Be patient. You will figure it all out.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 02:06 AM

If you set the float correctly the first time, there is no reason to reset the float level again. Mixing parts from different Quadrajets is not a good idea.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
If you set the float correctly the first time, there is no reason to reset the float level again. Mixing parts from different Quadrajets is not a good idea.
Both great points.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 11:28 AM

If you're still interested in aftermarket carb suggestions, look into the Demon (Holley) Street Demon. 750cfm is a common size and it gets many good reviews. I can tell you from personal experience it's a good carb and anyone I know that I've recommended it to has been very satisfied. As with anything, some slight tuning is recommended but well worth the money.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 02:26 PM

gentlemen! we have success!
so i spent the last 2 days going over this thing with a magnifying glass. had all kinds of issues, and together made for a big mess. had a bad choke pulloff, it would bind, but not always. the little lift arm for the secondary metering rods, was bent ever so slightly, they would come up too far and sometimes get hung up. and a cracked vac cap too, one of the small ones that was capped off.
and finally, a new plastic o ring on the inlet fitting, no more leak there......whew!
thanks for putting up with my questions/whining! i appreciate all the help
Old November 3rd, 2021, 03:15 PM

That is great news. Great job! Congrats.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 10:57 PM

67 supreme, all stock original. original carb is messed up beyond repair. ive had two other quadrajets on it, and it runs like *****. ive tried a rebuild kit. i consider myself a decent mechanic, i can usually make anything run. i can rebuild 4 carbs on a motorcycle and have it perfect. so........im done with it.
what carb are you guys running other than quadrajet, that you like. im looking for out of the box, bolt it on, done.
If your motor is stock, the best bet for out of the box would probably be a numbers matching carb for that motor which has been built to stock specifications. I have a stock 455 and tried to put an Edelbrock 750 cfm out of the box and it performed horribly. I decided to find a rebuilt numbers matching carb. I got mine at Guaranteed Carburators, but mine was a 73 model, so yours may be harder to find. The carb looked brand new and works great, but it had the wrong choke and we had to use the one off the old carb. It was a pain, but my core was bad so didn't worry about cannibalizing it. Even without the core return, the carb was only about $350.
Old November 4th, 2021, 07:12 PM

so i spent the last 2 days going over this thing with a magnifying glass. had all kinds of issues, and together made for a big mess. had a bad choke pulloff, it would bind, but not always. the little lift arm for the secondary metering rods, was bent ever so slightly, they would come up too far and sometimes get hung up. and a cracked vac cap too, one of the small ones that was capped off.
and finally, a new plastic o ring on the inlet fitting, no more leak there......whew!
sorry, missed this before posting.
Old November 5th, 2021, 12:57 PM

Congratulations on becoming a successful QuadraJet rebuilder! Sounds like you really took some time to identify and correct all those issues. I'm sure that's a good feeling now that you have a working carb.
Old November 5th, 2021, 02:25 PM
Running On Empty