Decode a 65' Cutlass Cowl Tag

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2019, 09:05 AM

Decode a 65' Cutlass Cowl Tag

Good morning Gurus!
Some of this I've figured out, Paint code is either Lucerne Blue or a Blue Mist depending on what resource I'm looking at. I believe the car came with the console but it was long gone by the time I bought the car. Any info you could provide would confirm my findings or determine that I was wrong, either way, I'll be happy knowing what I've actually got! Thanks for taking the time to help me out on my quest for more knowledge! Doug
Old August 27th, 2019, 11:08 AM

Hi,

Try 442bro.com he has a breakdown on cowl tags

I can tell you your car was made in the second week of August (8B in the upper left had of the tag)

Regards,
Old August 27th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

8B = built the second week (B) of August (8). I ASSUME this is Aug 1965, which is late in the model year.
ST65 = Style 1965 model year
3 = Oldsmobile Division
38 = Cutlass model line
27 = Sports Coupe
BF = Fremont, CA assembly plant
5617 = Fisher Body sequential build number
TR 943 13 = blue vinyl interior
PAINT DD = Lucerne Mist upper and lower body color
ACC 71008 = Fremont-unique sequence number that ties to the build sheet
Old August 27th, 2019, 01:37 PM

Mr. Padavano and jmos4,

Thank you both so much for your information, I have looked at the 442Bro website, but was in able to determine everything that I wanted to know. I like the website it has a ton of info on it, but I could not figure out the accessory code and now I understand why I couldn't. I was curious if my Cutlass was a Sports Coupe or considered a - I can't remember what the site referred to it as. I was very happy to confirm it was built in Fremont, (to me it just means I have two cars built at Fremont, my other car is a 65' Skylark). I received the protecto-plate when I bought the car but haven't played with it much, its stuck to the book, I guess I could just grab some carbon paper and do a rub on some paper, that would clear that up anyway. I do wonder if that will tell me if the car came with a console or not. The carpet was split down the trans tunnel a little so that combined with previous conversations that I've had with the previous owner make me think it was.

I'll have to keep digging in what I have and what I got with the car and keep doing more research to see if I can run that to ground. I guess I should be on the lookout for the build sheet, that would confirm it one way or the other, only thing is it might have already been found, if that's the case I'll never get it. Again, thank you both for your time and willingness to share your knowledge.

8B = built the second week (B) of August (8). I ASSUME this is Aug 1965, which is late in the model year.
ST65 = Style 1965 model year
3 = Oldsmobile Division
38 = Cutlass model line
27 = Sports Coupe
BF = Fremont, CA assembly plant
5617 = Fisher Body sequential build number
TR 943 13 = blue vinyl interior
PAINT DD = Lucerne Mist upper and lower body color
ACC 71008 = Fremont-unique sequence number that ties to the build sheet
Old August 27th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately, without the build sheet, there is no way to know if the car originally came with a console or not. Other assembly plants would have had a code on the cowl tag, but Fremont did not. And yes, your car is a Sports Coupe, which is why I wrote that. The low-rent F-85s with a post were called Club Coupes, but the high-zoot Cutlass was called a Sports Coupe. Same body sheet metal, just marketing terms.
Old August 27th, 2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately, without the build sheet, there is no way to know if the car originally came with a console or not. Other assembly plants would have had a code on the cowl tag, but Fremont did not. And yes, your car is a Sports Coupe, which is why I wrote that. The low-rent F-85s with a post were called Club Coupes, but the high-zoot Cutlass was called a Sports Coupe. Same body sheet metal, just marketing terms.
Mr. Padavano,
Fair enough I see your point, I just wasn't sure that 2 door "Post" cars were Sports Coupes or Club Coupes, I guess that was my confusion due to conflicting information on the different websites. Again Sir, thank you for your willingness to share your wealth of knowledge. I now have to start looking for the build sheet, I would think above the gas tank, under the rear seat, possibly behind the upper portion of the back seat, or under the seat part of the bucket seats. Doug
Old August 28th, 2019, 07:19 AM

Mr. Padavano,

My car originally came with A/C that has been removed (all but the A/C and heater controls and cables), would it have come with a HD cooling i.e.; water pump, fan shroud, and thermal fan clutch? The fan clutch and shroud are history as well. Hell the car has been lightened as in the removal of the A/C and heater system, the wiper motor and linkage have even been removed. Thanks for your input. Doug
Old August 28th, 2019, 09:56 AM

build sheet

On my 1967 442 conv. the build sheet was found behind the driver side rear seat rear window panel. It had a 1967 copper penny taped to the sheet. This car was build in Fremont Calif. Good luck on finding one in your car. Friskyjake
Old August 28th, 2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by friskyjake67
On my 1967 442 conv. the build sheet was found behind the driver side rear seat rear window panel. It had a 1967 copper penny taped to the sheet. This car was build in Fremont Calif. Good luck on finding one in your car. Friskyjake
Friskyjake, that is a cool story, I've heard of things like that happening a lot in the Fremont factory as well as several others. I will start looking for mine probably late next week time permitting! That gives me hope that I'll actually find mine also. I think that people find them inadvertently by either having to fix or by upgrading something. Of those people that do inadvertently find the build sheet a good portion of them are not really into cars and then the sheet goes missing and is lost to history. Most people I know that are into cars or trucks tend to preserve them once they've been located. Just my thoughts on it, and your story gives me hope and another place to look that I didn't think of! Doug
Old August 29th, 2019, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by friskyjake67
Very cool !!!