Disc brake conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:24 PM

Recommendations on front disc conversion kits? Not concerned about re-using the 14" wheels. Other recommendations of new parts to install while the front end is apart? Many thanks in advance ...
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:42 PM

which car?

I have used the kit from get disc brakes , what year is your car? Are you doing just the fronts? I am asking a lot of questions , because guys here can probably figure out how you can swap over to a stock set up , I switched to 4 wheel on my 69 and modified the installation so it looks more stock.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:43 PM

What year/model of car are you working on?

Here's a thread I really like that discusses swapping front drum to disc brakes on a 1964-72

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sk-brakes.html

Eddie, you beat me by a minute!

Last edited by 2blu442; December 23rd, 2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: adding comment
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:14 AM

Sorry .... 1972 Cutlass S ...yes looking to do front only for right now.
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:42 AM

I am in the process of installing 4 wheel disc brakes on my 72 cutlass... I am using the right stuff kits... I find the pre bent tubes need work to fit where the original brake lines fit.... If I had to do it again I would look into a different kit. The rears did not fit the SS1 wheels from specialty wheel. Had to turn down the rear axle flanges to clear the rotor, added a 3/8 spacer to push the wheel out to clear the caliper. 15 x 7 wheels. Took so long to modify the rear, have yet to get to the front! Might want to do an original parts swap. Seems to work fine even with 14" SSII wheels.
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
I am in the process of installing 4 wheel disc brakes on my 72 cutlass... I am using the right stuff kits... I find the pre bent tubes need work to fit where the original brake lines fit.... If I had to do it again I would look into a different kit. The rears did not fit the SS1 wheels from specialty wheel. Had to turn down the rear axle flanges to clear the rotor, added a 3/8 spacer to push the wheel out to clear the caliper. 15 x 7 wheels. Took so long to modify the rear, have yet to get to the front! Might want to do an original parts swap. Seems to work fine even with 14" SSII wheels.
Agreed as it is a straight "Stock Swap" I would get the Spindles, and then just order the calipers, the rotors and bearings, hoses etc, and the correct proportional valve I believe it goes back onto the chasis in 72.

I had to turn down the axles slightly on my 69 4 disc conversion, but it was a casting seam, I did not like the way the kit did the lines for the rear, and as the front kit has the spring armour on it it will not fit like original, I ended up using the adjustable prop valve and the stock drum distribution block, there is more in my resto thread in the major builds
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM

Yeah, to get rid of the spacers in the back, I am machining 2 rotors out of front rotors, and will need to space the calipers inward about 9/16 of an inch. this will require thinner pads (the rotor is .045 thicker than the one that come for the back...) This will give a lot of clearance for the calipers. Best of luck with your install!
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:33 PM

My rears are done and actually they just rub on the 14 inch rims in the back? 15,s are going to be fine, fronts spin freely even with the 14s ?
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM

The Right stuff ones that I purchased for the rear rubbed on the inside weld of the 15 x 7's (Outbd casting angled surface). I doubt they would work with 14's because there is very little radial clearance to the calipers... I might just throw my 14 SS2's on to see what happens before I install the rear. The 14 SS2's with the original disc set up on the front had plenty of clearance.
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM

I used CPP's full kit came with booster and all and is very nice factory style set up for under $500
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM

interesting???

The Right stuff ones that I purchased for the rear rubbed on the inside weld of the 15 x 7's (Outbd casting angled surface). I doubt they would work with 14's because there is very little radial clearance to the calipers... I might just throw my 14 SS2's on to see what happens before I install the rear. The 14 SS2's with the original disc set up on the front had plenty of clearance.
Dave I didn't mount either ss1s or 2s just plain 14 inch steelies off a disc brake car? As you said the front are fine and TV's rears of mine just rub so I assumed the 15,s will be fine. As they just rub, did you shim your calipers so the sit right in the middle of the rotor? There were several brackets in the rear kit, I know it took me 2 or 3 assemblies making sure the rotor was dead center, the flange grinding was a pia did you put your axles in a lathe? My lathe was too small so I just ground down all the flashing.
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:36 PM

After the 4th shim installation, I realized none were required to center the caliper on the rotor... (I can just turn the axles by hand) I also called them to verify... That is when I found out from them that I did not have an incorrect setup, "just 5%" of them need to have the axles turned down... My buddy fortunately had a lathe big enough... once I got it all together, I tried the wheel and there was the interference! Just want to let others know what they are up against with this "bolt on" mod!
Old December 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM

I just checked a 14"iinch "steelie" and a 14 inch SS2.... No Go on the rear discs even with a 3/8 spacer ring... The SS2 are disc brake wheels, the 14" steelie" no idea... it was the spare so it might be for a disc brake...
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:56 PM

This kind of got a little off topic ...

Could someone take a look at this and let me know what they think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1972-ch...a6520a&vxp=mtr

Also looked at Summit Racing, they seem a little pricey.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...utlass-supreme
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Justin

Subscribe
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:40 PM

I used a kit just like that from 60 to zero a few years ago and it worked nice.
Was able to reuse the 14" wheels but, they must be a disc brake wheel to start with.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by rmiller110
This kind of got a little off topic ...

]
Sorry bout that, I still think if you are only doing fronts I would get the right spindles and just order correct parts for a disc brake car from rock auto or similar ? Calipers rotors bearings and such are all available
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:38 AM

Check out www.scarebird.com
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:12 AM

here ya go...

have a look here as well, Joe P posted a pretty good thread, hope it helps
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
have a look here as well, Joe P posted a pretty good thread, hope it helps
Checked some of the links

here is a spindle kit
http://www.performanceonline.com/196...E-KIT-DBS6472/
calipers from rock auto
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...liper%2BPiston
brake pads rock auto
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...liper%2BPiston

etc etc just a thought...
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Question full disc conversion kits

In that thread he states:

"There are a number of high dollar disk brake conversion kits for the 64-72 A-body cars. These kits are very complete"
Would be interested in which one of these complete kits folks think are of high quality (for those who might not want to patchwork put the whole thing together).

Looking to do a conversion of all 4 to disk in the future. Currently the front are factory disk and the rears are drum.

Last edited by ddd777; January 9th, 2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:33 AM

ddd777 what rear do you have? what diameter axle flange? year looks like 71-72 from the grill pics. Do you want to do fronts first and backs later? What wheels do you plan to use? steel or stainless lines? Eddie Hansen and I have been through it recently and let you know what our experiences are and how to get around problems... there are many others that can help as well. You might want to start a new thread with the answers to above questions and go from there....
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Arrow Disc Brake Conversion - Complete Kits

ddd777 what rear do you have? what diameter axle flange? year looks like 71-72 from the grill pics. Do you want to do fronts first and backs later? What wheels do you plan to use? steel or stainless lines? Eddie Hansen and I have been through it recently and let you know what our experiences are and how to get around problems... there are many others that can help as well. You might want to start a new thread with the answers to above questions and go from there....
  • not sure about the rear (whatever was original??? but i will check)
  • not sure about diameter axle flange (whatever was original???)
  • '72 CS Convertible
  • i would like to do them all at once.
  • currently have 14/6 original wheels (with hubcaps) - may want to move up to 15/7 Rally in the future
  • assume steel (to keep it more like original) any big reason for stainless?

have seen stuff like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...utlass-supreme

have also had folks say good things about Willwood

many thanks in advance for any wisdom that either of you can impart, after having done it.
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ddd777
In that thread he states:

Currently the front are factory disk and the rears are drum.
Not a bad setup for normal use. Should make repeated short and straight stops if the system is in good order and using modern radials. I would not bother unless going for a serious upgrade to bigger rotors / wheels along more of the resto-mod route.
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:09 PM

And to the original poster, previous owner of my car put the Inline Tube kit on the fronts. Fits and works great but squeak a little and create a fair bit of brake dust. Not a big deal but swapping out the pads is on my winter to-do list.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Mine is a 72 CS convertible. Had front disc and rear drum. Went to 4 wheel discs (in process right now!) the rotors in the rear required the axle flanges to be turned down to about 6" to clear. (I put in a rebuilt posi rear, but the axles were identical to the original) The clip on the driver side just behind the rear lower control arm mount is a pain to get out, If you lift the body off to replace the body mounts, that would be a good time to install the clip! I used the right stuff (get disc brakes.com) kit. if you order from them talk to Todd McClure! I would not go with the system sold all over ebay! the routing of the lines to the front brakes come too close to the exhaust manifold flange. Get the OEM style Power Disc lines if using their PV72 proportioning valve. Eddie used the drum brake distribution block and a separate valve for the rear... in that case use the power drum brake lines for the front. The SSI 15" wheels from specialty wheel do not play well with the rear disc set up. I had to use a 3/8 spacer between the rotor and the wheel... (I am also working on a different set up for that....) Hope this helps you!
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Dane I personally liked the get disc brake kit overall , I had 4 wheel power drums and I also wanted a stock look , as dave said there are some minor issues, but there are work around as dave mentions
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Question Police Brakes

It has been recommended to me that I consider the Police Brake upgrades, instead of upgrading discs all around.

J55 Heavy Duty Brakes (Police Usage) (1968-1972)

There is a little discussion of the specs over here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...um-brakes.html.

Is this just about the rear drums, or is there also some sort of upgrade on the front discs?

Any thoughts on comparing what looks like beefing up the brake system vs. "modernizing" it?
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by ddd777
It has been recommended to me that I consider the Police Brake upgrades, instead of upgrading discs all around.

J55 Heavy Duty Brakes (Police Usage) (1968-1972)

There is a little discussion of the specs over here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...um-brakes.html.

Is this just about the rear drums, or is there also some sort of upgrade on the front discs?

Any thoughts on comparing what looks like beefing up the brake system vs. "modernizing" it?
You could start by upgrading your rear brakes to VC brakes. Shoes are a half inch wider, drums are deeper, wheel cyl bore is bigger.....that extra surface area will definitely help......
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:50 AM

disc conversion kit

Guys:
I bought mine from OPGI, everything came as advertised. The price was over $500.00 so I got free shipping, I had to pay the oversize thing though, freight was less than $40.00 from California. I got mine for around $600-$650 on sale, less than $700.00 delivered to my door. Everythging was nice and new/ clean, made you want to get right to work, NO problems w/ install either. I also did the complete front suspension makeover, you might as well , you already have it apart and w/ what are going to be spending to do it right, it is just a drop in the bucket! This was NOT a commercial for them, rather to say if you watch for specials and Sales, as Wife would say " Are you still on that thing?" That is how you find the Good stuff and Good deals though. End result is a much nicer finished product for less money.
Thanks Ron
Old February 16th, 2013, 06:52 PM

I will have to check that out. I have SSI wheels on my 68, but I guess I wouldn't mind the SSIIs. My car has drums all around, but they need redone anyway. Might as well put front discs in.
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Justin

I found a kit on eBay called and found it was a kit from Right Stuff Detailing it was for 495.

Ended up paying 644 shipped

With slotted/drilled rotors and powder coated calipers and steel breaded line to caliper this included booster /master and spindles backing plates everything to install except hard brake lines
Have read great reviews so will let you know once installed
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:24 AM

Sounds good to me! When I decide to finally do this, I am going to redo all the brake stuff, as well as front suspension while I am at it.