Dynomax Super Turbo / Pypes Race Pro review

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2021, 11:20 AM

Dynomax Super Turbo / Pypes Race Pro review

Last winter I replaced my entire exhaust system with a Pypes kit that included an H pipe. I installed Dynomax Super Turbo 17749s. All summer I was just luke warm on the sound (or lack of). It had a slight rumble but just not a muscle car sound, and I felt a 455 should sound tougher. Today I swapped out the mufflers for Pypes Race Pro MVR30s. DING DING DING we have a winner!! Now granted, I haven't driven it yet because it's winter in Minnesota, but as soon as I fired it up I knew I was going to like them. Deeper rumble, but not a whole lot louder at idle. Sounds really nice revving it up! I was concerned they would be too loud, but I read alot of reviews about how the Race Pros are a good street muffler and the Street Pros are much louder, and sure enough I think the Race Pros are perfect for the street. Deep, tough but not obnoxiously loud.

I know members are always searching the forum for muffler suggestions like I did a year ago, so I wanted to share my thoughts.
Old December 12th, 2021, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Exhaust system sound is an acquired taste, glad you found one you like.
Old December 12th, 2021, 09:29 PM

A “sound off” would have been nice. How about posting a short video of the new mufflers? Since the old mufflers are gone, that’s not an option.

I have seen threads title “motor Monday, tail light Tuesday, wheel Wednesday, front end Friday”, etc, is there a “sound off Saturday/Sunday”? If not, we need one.
Old December 13th, 2021, 07:02 AM

When I think back to the number of mufflers I've swapped out over the past 30 years of car-crafting, it is one of the hardest pieces of the custom car puzzle. I have a corner in my shop with 3 sets of like-new mufflers sitting there that didn't deliver the sound I wanted, but I'm sure I'll user some day on a different car! Every muffler sounds different on different cars. Plus, as we age the sound we think we're looking for changes! I considered before & after sound clips but over the years I've invested way too many hours listening to then online only to once again learn that it isn't going to sound the same on MY car in real life! I've had Super Turbos on other cars and liked the result, they just didn't sound right on this car.
Old December 13th, 2021, 07:08 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It really is an acquired taste and it changes with age. When I bought my 75 Hurst Olds a couple months ago it had some really loud mufflers on it. This is a very nicely restored car. It sounded too much like a hot rod and that was not the sound I wanted for that car. I replace the mufflers with some short Dynomax Super Turbos and put and H pipe in. It was just right. Then I added the twin high flow cats a couple weeks ago and now it is even a little quieter. It has a nice deep sound but it not loud. I cranked it and my 54 which has twin Smittys on it. They were both in the garage and the 54 was louder but not too loud.
Old December 13th, 2021, 02:39 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

As said, sound is an acquired taste, had some way too loud vehicles. Makes a big difference if you are ripping around up town or going on a 5 hour drive. The Dynomax Superturbo are a mellow sound, I like them. Small resonators or cats can be added if the Racepro's end too loud. I doing the same ad redoldsman, Superturbo's and dual cats. Enjoy!
Old December 13th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

X3. Exhaust sound is totally subjective. For example, some people actually like the obnoxious droning you get with (no)Flowmasters.
Old December 13th, 2021, 05:55 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I guess Flowmaster has done a really good job of promoting their mufflers. Maybe they have a bigger ad budget. I think Dynomax gets more advertising on this site than most anywhere.
Old December 13th, 2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
X3. Exhaust sound is totally subjective. For example, some people actually like the obnoxious droning you get with (no)Flowmasters.

Flowmaster sound good outside the car, they absolutely suck inside while driving. Everything rattles and resonates. I had a pair on my Olds back in the late 80s, they were THE muffler to have when I was17. Now that I’m approaching geezerhood, no thanks.

Old December 14th, 2021, 05:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Flowmaster sound good outside the car,.
I'm gonna challenge that also..

There's a yahoo with a 90s F250 and (no)Flowmasters that hot rods up and down our dirt road regularly. They do not sound good outside the car, just obnoxiously loud.
Old December 14th, 2021, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm gonna challenge that also..

There's a yahoo with a 90s F250 and (no)Flowmasters that hot rods up and down our dirt road regularly. They do not sound good outside the car, just obnoxiously loud.

Ol, I’ll revise my statement.

I think Flowmaster sound good on a muscle car with a rowdy cam. I guess it’s a combination of the rumble of the exhaust and the rough idle.

Flowmasters on a stock car, with a stock engine, is just loud.
Old December 15th, 2021, 08:35 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Flowmasters sounded great In high school lol. Hooker aero chambers it's like a flow master and super turbo. It's a chambered muffler with packing . The sound is perfect.