Finish the 442 cloning or backtrack?

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2021, 06:35 PM

Finish the 442 cloning or backtrack?

I bought my 1972 Cutlass Supreme convertible 4 years ago. It is a U code 60,000 mile beauty. I’ve had a lot of muscle cars over the years and this is my favorite. I plan to keep this car a very long time.

the previous owner added the 442 fender and trunk emblems and the 442 grill. I really don’t care at all whether it’s a 442 or not, but it bothers me that it’s incorrect.

Now, the way I’m wired, I would normally spend the money to have the 442 emblems removed and put the car back to original condition. BUT........ I had a weak moment last winter and added the W-25 hood just because I love that look, and that complicates my decision.

so now I’m trying to decide whether to:

A. leave it as is
B. have the rocker panel trim and trunk lettering removed to complete the 442 appearance
C. change the 442 emblems back to Cutlass (but still keeping the OAI hood)

I know it’s silly to ask others this when it’s my car and I should do whatever makes me happy, but I’ve been going back and forth and decided I’d enjoy hearing some other opinions.

I don’t show this car, I drive it. My dog rides in the front seat with me. I enjoy it. Not looking to pass it off as a 442, would just like things more correct one way or another.

looking forward to your thoughts!
Old February 4th, 2021, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Minnesotajeff
I bought my 1972 Cutlass Supreme convertible 4 years ago. It is a U code 60,000 mile beauty. I’ve had a lot of muscle cars over the years and this is my favorite. I plan to keep this car a very long time.

the previous owner added the 442 fender and trunk emblems and the 442 grill. I really don’t care at all whether it’s a 442 or not, but it bothers me that it’s incorrect.

Now, the way I’m wired, I would normally spend the money to have the 442 emblems removed and put the car back to original condition. BUT........ I had a weak moment last winter and added the W-25 hood just because I love that look, and that complicates my decision.

so now I’m trying to decide whether to:

A. leave it as is
B. have the rocker panel trim and trunk lettering removed to complete the 442 appearance
C. change the 442 emblems back to Cutlass (but still keeping the OAI hood)

I know it’s silly to ask others this when it’s my car and I should do whatever makes me happy, but I’ve been going back and forth and decided I’d enjoy hearing some other opinions.
I don’t show this car, I drive it. My dog rides in the front seat with me. I enjoy it. Not looking to pass it off as a 442, would just like things more correct one way or another. looking forward to your thoughts!
A. Costs nothing.
B. Cost of repainting.
C. Costs something.
Which will give you the most satisfaction ? Getting many diverse opinions will not help you to decide what to do. Good luck.
Old February 4th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Administrator

I'm in the "I don't care what others think" camp on car mods, I listen to the voices in my head. It's your car, do what you want.
Old February 4th, 2021, 08:14 PM

my 72 has been this way since 1977, but its a hardtop supreme which did not have the 442 added, but a convertible did come as a 442 so its not going to be as obvious, so Make it the way you want

Once you have The Hood I think its impossible to take it off Greatest looking Musclecar hood!

Last edited by green1972; February 4th, 2021 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add
Old February 4th, 2021, 08:21 PM
72 Olds CS

Its got the bbo thats the important part. I vote remove the 442 emblems, although w that hood and 442 emblems your not far away from some w 30 stripes and emblems...im no help. wait what if you added a 5 speed OD trans yeah thats what you should do !!!
Old February 4th, 2021, 08:29 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

A U code convertible is a great thing, regardless of how it’s badged. As with many others, I’m of the opinion that you should do what pleases you, but my main comment is this: show us some photos! Pictures would allow us to make a more informed decision
Old February 4th, 2021, 09:52 PM
Rocket Renegade!

A car is always at its best when it's presented as what it is. A vote for originality here.
Old February 4th, 2021, 10:37 PM

I'd keep originality possible. In other words, I wouldn't do any irreversable modifications of which you might later regret. Thereafter, do what makes you happy, regardless of anybody else's opinions, except maybe for painting it Barbie Doll pink or other outlandish moves of this sort

Old February 5th, 2021, 05:26 AM

If you like the look, drive it like it is. Several of my friends and I have discussed this topic numerous times in the past concerning values, appearance, and originality. I always say once we're gone, the next owner will fix it like they want it. They may put it in a museum or drive the wheels off of it. It won't matter then so enjoy it now as you like it. Also, as stated above, show us some pic's!
Old February 5th, 2021, 07:21 AM

If you add wheel covers or power steering, is the car a "clone?" In 1972, the 4-4-2 option was just that, another option. If you add the option's components correctly, you have a dealer/owner added option.
Old February 5th, 2021, 07:40 AM

I'd switch it back to Cutlass badges. Hopefully the trunk isn't drilled.
Old February 5th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Gary

I built an entire car around my love of the type of wagons Oldsmobile provided to car magazines and Indy 500 in the late 1960s and 1970.

I sold a documented 1970 442 4-speed convertible with A/C to fund the project. And on a good day, my car would be worth half of what it cost to build. But I'm a creative person and it is EXACTLY what I had envisioned for many years.

Some are offended by my creation; some make fun of its details. I don't care. I love it.

Be true to your wishes; do the same with your car.
Old February 5th, 2021, 11:58 AM

I think you already stated what you wanted. But trying to talk yourself out of it and the hood is trying to push you that way too.
How I would look at it. The hoods did come on a cutlass body the w31 and the Supreme SX.
Continue making it your own. But I think you already know what you want. And that's keep the hood and keep it original. I also agree with you because that is how I would do it.
Good luck and most important "have fun" and enjoy your ride!
Old February 5th, 2021, 12:07 PM

You guys are great, love the comments. A few pics of my car - I just put the Cragars on a couple weeks ago. And unfortunately, the trunk was drilled for the "442"

Old February 5th, 2021, 02:31 PM
72 Olds CS

yeah id leave it just like that the car looks great !
Old February 5th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Great looking color combo. And as you know 4-4-2 trunk lids didn’t come with or drilled for ‘Oldsmobile’ lettering - so since you have both already I wouldn’t mess with it until you’re ready to repaint. Wish I had a garage lift too, would make so many many things so much easier. Enjoy your beautiful and rare U code Cutlass ‘vert as it is.
Old February 5th, 2021, 02:42 PM

Beautiful car! Personally, I would leave it just like it is...
Old February 5th, 2021, 03:33 PM

Man that's sweet!
Looks amazing!
The color is amazing.
Just drive it and enjoy it!
Old February 5th, 2021, 05:36 PM

Since it's drilled, get spare parts for a resto for 25 years from now, fix it when you repaint it. Until then, rock and roll as is.
Old February 5th, 2021, 07:23 PM

Car is sharp, the deck lid is really the only thing that stands out, If you have the paint or code would not be hard to correct that. If mine I would enjoy as is till you get mad at your money.
Old February 6th, 2021, 05:00 AM

Your thinking to much. Just drive it.
Old February 6th, 2021, 06:09 AM

Your car looks great!! I too would just drive it & enjoy it!! If anything I'd look for another trunk lid, since it's a bolt on part, (Get a used or repop without the holes & lose the "olds" letters & leave it as a "442", much less of a headache! Do you really want to have to paint that beautiful car again??? If you do go with another lid & whoever paints it gets a good match then maybe I'd go ahead & remove the rocker moldings(much less paint work). I know they're not correct for a W29 car but I like the look of the rocker moldings on your car! They really look good against your paint color!
Old February 6th, 2021, 09:59 AM

You guys are great, love the comments. A few pics of my car - I just put the Cragars on a couple weeks ago. And unfortunately, the trunk was drilled for the "442"

I've never really been a big fan of that body style before, I prefer the '66 through '69 styles. BUT DOOD!!!! That thing is gorgeous! I quoted your post so I could see the pictures twice. I would have to replace tires on that ting twice a year from driving it so much. If you fancy a change, change it. If you like it the way it is, leave it. But drive the hell out of it!
Old February 6th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Bfg

Maybe put 442 numbers on the left side also to balance it out. This way you’ll have 442 above each trumpet
Old February 6th, 2021, 05:02 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Either the 4-4-2 numbers or the OLDSMOBILE letters should go. Trunk lid looks too busy otherwise.
Old February 6th, 2021, 07:25 PM

I really don’t care at all whether it’s a 442 or not, but it bothers me that it’s incorrect.

Now, the way I’m wired, I would normally spend the money to have the 442 emblems removed and put the car back to original condition.

Not looking to pass it off as a 442, would just like things more correct one way or another.
Focusing on the parts of your post that I quoted above show which way you lean. I would remove all 442 emblems. But keep the goodies that make you happy. Completing a clone down to false emblems and tags for the sake of decisiveness is trying to pass it off as something its not... indirectly.

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
If you add wheel covers or power steering, is the car a "clone?" In 1972, the 4-4-2 option was just that, another option. If you add the option's components correctly, you have a dealer/owner added option.
Very good point. Converting a Cutlass etc into a 442 on an option only year is not as offensive as converting a Cutlass etc into a 442 on a model status year.

Minnesotajeff, with that said keep in mind a U Code Cutlass Supreme is a more impressive car than most 1972 442s.
Old February 7th, 2021, 04:44 AM

It is a beautiful car! I know the PO did the 442 emblems and such, I wouldn't have done that, but it is already done, so I wouldn't change it back unless painting needs to be done for other reasons. MY CAR HAS THE AFTERMARKET HOOD AND ( dang it-didn't mean to yell-getting used to new laptop) cut out rear bumper but it was done 25 yrs ago. I know how you feel about it not being correct but I like it. On this site is probably the only place that people will know that it is not "correct". At your local car show or just cruising around no one will know or care. They probably will ask you if it has the optional Cobra Hemi Rocket 442 engine though......
Old February 7th, 2021, 05:18 AM

If that's the way you obtained it, then that's the way I would explain it if anyone asks. If you spend all the money to correct it, that's ok too. But you'd really need to get rid of the stripes as well, and all the hole filling and re-drilling and in the end-- would it be worth the expense?

It's one thing if it were needing some work, but it doesn't appear it does. But as usual, the owner needs to decide their own path to happiness, and you have to be satisfied owning it. I'll always lean to the purist side of things, but in this case, I'd wait until the car's exterior needed fixing before doing all that and get it repainted all in one shot. Besides, either way, you'd have to remove/repaint those side stripes anyway to make it look more correct. They're too high over the wheel arches and it appears they only have 2 stripe lines vs. 3, which I believe was a one-year 1970 thing.

Enjoy it as is! I'm betting you get more "You want to sell it?" questions than you do "Is that a real 4-forty-2?"
Old February 7th, 2021, 06:11 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by 69HO43
...you'd have to remove/repaint those side stripes anyway to make it look more correct. They're too high over the wheel arches and it appears they only have 2 stripe lines vs. 3, which I believe was a one-year 1970 thing.
Yes, the stripes were only on 442s. And 1970 442s also have two stripes.
Old February 7th, 2021, 06:36 AM

leave it alone. Looks great.
Old February 7th, 2021, 06:10 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

agree, might as well leave it as is and when the stop-light randoms shout out from the cars next to you "that a 442 ??" (notice I didn't say "that a REAL 442" ??) just smile and say "yup" as you drive off...

I have a '72 Cutlass ragtop, never was and never will be 442-badged while I own it, but nearly everyone whom comments on it wherever I go STILL asks that question. It does have a repro 442 cutout rear bumper and trumpet tips, rear sway bar and an old W27 repro differential cover but none of those are what the randoms are really noticing beforehand - to the non-car oriented stop-light gawkers, all they seem to know to ask is "442".... ? whether it's badged that way or not.

Kinda like the cliché "gotta Hemi in that..? " I used to get all the time when I still had my '68 Charger....

Old February 8th, 2021, 05:14 AM

I’m thankful nobody put the Chevelle stripes on the trunk. Seems like whoever the W-25 hood and stripes are added, they think they have to go on the trunk lid also.
Old February 8th, 2021, 03:18 PM

Hey, I got trunk stripes!

(and yes, I know the emblem is in the wrong spot, but, like OP, the decklid is drilled. It's also a convertible/4 door decklid, but I will probably leave it alone for a while.)

Old February 8th, 2021, 05:03 PM

The stripes belong on that car!!!!

I guess I should have made my objections clear. I personally don’t care for the trunk stripes on Oldsmobiles, unless Olds put them there. It seems like too many people think Chevelle used the stripes, so every A body should have them. Just irritates me, it’s like swapping in a LS or chebby engine, if you wanted a Chevy, buy a Chevy!! Don’t cheapen a Olds.

Not that too many people will lose any sleep over my preferences.

Last edited by matt69olds; May 7th, 2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old February 8th, 2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
The stripes belong oh that car!!!!

I guess I should have made my objections clear. I personally don’t care for the trunk stripes on Oldsmobiles, unless Olds put them there. It seems like too many people think Chevelle used the stripes, so every A body should have them. Just irritates me, it’s like swapping in a LS or chebby engine, if you wanted a Chevy, buy a Chevy!! Don’t cheapen a Olds.

Not that too many people will lose any sleep over my preferences.
Yes, I was pulling your chain.
Old May 6th, 2021, 10:08 PM
Crusin in my 6-4

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
yeah id leave it just like that the car looks great !
My thoughts exactly. Beautiful Car.
Old May 29th, 2022, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by rickrock999
My thoughts exactly. Beautiful Car.
my

My car is a complete Frankenstein….. Originally a green automatic…. Previous owner painted it black, put the hood on and made it a 4-speed w bucket seats.

I did the wilwood brakes, wheels, cut the dash for a modern radio, electric fans, and had an engine built from someone on this board. I can’t remember his name but I think his name here is something marine related !

I daily drive it to work in the summer and like you don’t show the car. I’ve never once thought my car was an imposter but I carefully selected it as I just thought if I’m gonna daily drive a classic- it should be the way I like it, and not be viewed as an investment…. So not be a museum piece that I can park in a lot and walk away. Bring on the clones w the features we love!

which might be a 442 bumper 😂
Old May 29th, 2022, 07:33 AM
Crusin in my 6-4

I want to convert my 64 to a 442. Before I bought it the last owner had it converted from single exhaust to dual exhaust. In 64 the year the 442 came out, they switched to a higher horsepower 330 engine. I am going to leave the original 330 in. the last owner also pulled the 2 speed transmission and put in a 3 speed. I want to change it to a 4 speed (it's automatic)
but that will require modifications to the drive shaft and rear end and will cost north of 2K so not ready to do that yet. The other issue is there is a throttle body injection system where the 4 barrel carburetor was. Love the throttle body, and won't change back. So after I put in the 4 speed I will badge it as a 442. Wish I could have an original 64 442 but this is what I have.

Old May 29th, 2022, 07:41 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by rickrock999
Wish I could have an original 64 442 but this is what I have.
Just as well. If you had an authentic 4-4-2 you couldn't put TBI or a 200-R4 on it. Well, you could, but it'd be a sin.
Old May 29th, 2022, 08:04 AM
Crusin in my 6-4

If it was on original 442 it would not need the transmission modification as it would already be a 4 speed. And I would not change to TBI myself, my car came with it when I bought it.

Quick Reply: Finish the 442 cloning or backtrack?