First post: Hey and here's a few pics of my '67 Cutlass and former Oldsmobiles

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM

The color and wheel combo looks really good on that car.

I noticed the Pinellas plates on the trailer. The industrial buildings in some of your pics look familiar to me. Is that the place on Keene/Starkey between Ulmerton and E-Bay in Largo?
Old December 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 442_1972
The color and wheel combo looks really good on that car.

I noticed the Pinellas plates on the trailer. The industrial buildings in some of your pics look familiar to me. Is that the place on Keene/Starkey between Ulmerton and E-Bay in Largo?
Yes. Guy in there rents his spray booth out. Worst spray booth on the planet (probably).
Old December 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM

My paint guys came through today and were able to sand and buff away most of the problems that really concerned me like runs and dirt in the paint from a crappy spray booth. Car turned out really well. I still have to put the chrome back on but this is what it looks like now.

PC241494.jpg

PC241486.jpg

PC241487.jpg

PC241488.jpg

PC241489.jpg

PC241490.jpg

PC241492.jpg

PC241493.jpg
Old December 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM

Looks great! I don't know if I'll ever get around to painting mine.
Old December 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mingus
Looks great! I don't know if I'll ever get around to painting mine.
Tell me more about yours. Looks sweet in the sig but it looks like a '67 and not a '66. Any more pics?
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:31 AM

Destroyer67, thanks for the compliment. My car isn't the prettiest (definitely way better than when I got it), but it is unique. I finally put up some pics in the members gallery. My Cutlass has epoxy primer on it now (for 4 years) and is a good 20/20 car. I want to finish the suspension and do a new engine and O/D tranny before I paint it, so it will be awhile (if ever). It gets lots of attention even in its current state, especially at autocrosses. I'm not sure where all of the "pro touring" cars are that autocross, but I haven't run into them at the ones that I've attended.
I have a '67 front clip on it because the stock one was trashed and I kept finding '67 parts cars. I've always liked the '67 front better anyway. They look really different with the spread headlights and huge bumper.
It has a stock Olds 350/Turbo 350 out of a '75 Cutlass. I'd love to do a 455, but now that the handling bug has bit I can't see putting something that heavy in there. I'll probably go with an all aluminum GM engine (it will remain nameless to keep everyone calm ). I'm kind of surprised nobody tried to give you a hard time about using a Ford color on your car. You should have lied and said it was a GM gray.
I've done quite a bit of work on the front suspension. I have SPC upper and lower A-arms, ATS AFX alumnium spindles, Kore3 C5/C6 Corvette brakes, Lee 670 steering box (12.7:1 ratio), new idler arm, center link, inner and outer tie rod ends , springs and single adjustable Alston Varishocks. Out back I've only done springs and the Varishocks for now. I'm running 245/45/17 front and 285/40/17 rear tires.
It drives awesome on the road and didn't embarrass itself in the couple of autocrosses I've done so far. It needs stickier tires and more power, but I was in the middle of the pack in the street tire class. Except for a new Charger R/T (which I beat) I think I had the heaviest car there.
Keep us updated on your car, it's coming along nicely.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM

Sweet setup! Very cool. I guess nobody is giving me slack for the Ford color cause I've already "ruined" the car in their eyes. I want to set mine up for handling as well. I may use some of the components you have since it has worked out well for you. How is the ride? I've had several of these cars before. My '66 handled amazingly well with Hotchkis parts. I had the lowering springs, front/rear sway bars and all poly urethane bushing and so forth. It rode harsh so I'm not going with poly bushings this time but it took turns comparable to my 4rth gen Corvettes. I had a '70 455 w/th400. It was a bit front heavy so I'm sticking with small blocks for now. I really regret not finishing that car but such is life. Here's a few pics of the old '66 (ignore the wheels, lol).

2923.jpg

2921.jpg

2924.jpg

2931.jpg

Last edited by Destroyer67; January 2nd, 2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
doc

Love the color & the "old" '66 as well......
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM

I like your '66.
Even though I have some fairly serious suspension stuff on my car, it was done with the intention of making it a good driver, which it is. It rides nice, I think mostly due to the adjustable shocks. I turn them up a couple of clicks when I autocross.
The only thing I don't like on my setup is the SPC lower control arms. They have a really deep pocket and dumped the car way too low. I ended up gettting the tallest springs I could find and still had to put spacers on the top and bottom of them to get it up to where it sits now (which is not any too high).
If I would have rebuilt my stock lower arms or gone with most any other aftermarket tubular one I don't think I would have had this issue.
I love the upper arms and the spindles. Since I bought mine ATS has changed ownership and the price has gone up significantly. There is another company named L&H that isn't too far from me in Sandy, OR that is making tall aluminum spindles now too.
A friend of mine has a '67 Chevelle. About 10 years ago he did the Global West arms with the B-body (Impala) spindles. It made a huge difference in the handling, but I like my setup better (of course I may be biased).
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:25 PM

What is the color of the first car. What a great color
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM

Some updated pics. Moldings, bumper, engine and trans are on/in the car. Starting to look more like a car and less than a project. 442 grille, insignia and a cowl induction hood are coming but Interior is next, it will be a light gray color with Mercedes bucket seats and custom dashboard. Enjoy! :

P1201715.jpg

P1201714.jpg

P1201712.jpg
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
bil

Please discuss the Ford paint in the non-Olds section. No-just kidding! I like the color,years ago I painted my 68 Olds with a Ford green,I just liked it better.With so many aftermarket parts now,and improved brakes,suspention,etc.,it is hard to say that many of our cars are all Olds.
Your project looks real nice! ---bil
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by bil
Please discuss the Ford paint in the non-Olds section. No-just kidding! I like the color,years ago I painted my 68 Olds with a Ford green,I just liked it better.With so many aftermarket parts now,and improved brakes,suspention,etc.,it is hard to say that many of our cars are all Olds.
Your project looks real nice! ---bil
Thank you Bill. You painted your car with a Ford green because it was your car, your taste and that is all there is to it. I'm not advocating using Ford paint but it was a color I was familiar with and liked.

A mechanic friend of mine actually got the biggest, rust bucket POS '87 Cutlass I have ever seen as a job to do a transmission and paint/body work on. He told me the owner said it had a 500hp motor in it. I figured it was BS. When he popped the hood I saw it had a 455 Olds in it and it sounded real nice!. Owner was in federal prison for 3 years and the car hadn't been run in all that time. With a new battery it started right up. It had Hooker super comp headers, performer intake and edelbrock carb and it had a cam too. 500hp? I don't think so but I wanted it and I begged him to make an offer for the car and he did on my behalf. I was actually going to do a last minute change and put that 455 in my car if the offer was accepted but the owner of the car would not part with it. Oh well, it was a last ditch effort to keep it Olds powered. From my understanding this '87 will have 24" wheels and be "awesome" when it's done. It will probably make me want to puke but hey, it will be a real Olds powered by a real Olds motor I suppose. This was just hours before I put the Chevy motor in.

Bill, there are many upgrades in brakes/suspensions and powertrains that we do now that make the cars less "Olds" but more modern, efficient, safer and much better performers. "Olds" people can take pride in the fact that the car they see on the 'strip or track is in fact an "Olds" regardless of what is under the hood. You gotta ask, if better brakes, suspensions or whatever were available in cars of the 60's, would the stuff not have come standard or as optional equipment? Would these cars not have been modified right away? These "Olds" cars were corporate even back then. The chassis is the same as a Chevelle, GTO/Lemans, Buick GS, etc... What is the big deal here?

I have a long history with Oldsmobiles as my father owned several and I grew up with them. My decision to put a Chevy in the engine bay was purely business and is EASILY REVERSIBLE. I don't think my Oldsmobile should be in a "Non-Olds forum".

Last edited by Destroyer67; January 23rd, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
bil

Oh,I agree-that is why I put the funny face guy and 'just kidding'. There are some cars that are just to nice,or rare,or original,to change.Then there are those that the owner wants to keep as original as possible.And some that are a statement of their tastes.All are nice.I like something that is as safe to drive as possible,handles well,is dependable,as is as much Oldsmobile as possible within these parameters.Yours fit nicely.(Just don't put those big wagon wheels with O-ring tires on!)
I have a 65 442 coupe,someone put a 403 Olds from a firebird in.So is it Olds or Pontiac? I also have a newer chevy engine and trans from an Impala police cruiser that I may put in-it is a matter of what you want,and when I am dead,the next guy can put the original 400 back in,I have that too,all apart. I like your build thread and pics-thanks. ---bil
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by bil
Oh,I agree-that is why I put the funny face guy and 'just kidding'. There are some cars that are just to nice,or rare,or original,to change.Then there are those that the owner wants to keep as original as possible.And some that are a statement of their tastes.All are nice.I like something that is as safe to drive as possible,handles well,is dependable,as is as much Oldsmobile as possible within these parameters.Yours fit nicely.(Just don't put those big wagon wheels with O-ring tires on!)
I have a 65 442 coupe,someone put a 403 Olds from a firebird in.So is it Olds or Pontiac? I also have a newer chevy engine and trans from an Impala police cruiser that I may put in-it is a matter of what you want,and when I am dead,the next guy can put the original 400 back in,I have that too,all apart. I like your build thread and pics-thanks. ---bil
"So is it Olds or Pontiac?", I like that. 403 can be a great motor but it takes some time and money to solve the oiling issues and of course, build it up. I had a '79 T/A with a 403. Not all that great stock, my stock 5.0 Mustang at the time would blow it away. Impala police cruiser eh? So, an LT1. I have had several LT1 motors in Z28's and Corvette's. Great motors aside from the opti-spark. Here's a '67 Cutlass with an LT1/6 speed combo on youtube. This video lit a fire up my *** and made me go ahead with the swap and restoration. You have probably seen it but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVYx4ZeggOE
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I had to skip over the SBC pics ..........To each his own I guess,My car is some sort of Ford blue so I guess Iam a cross breeder as well lol ,I picked it out of the paint book because it looked cool...........But I do have the cure for the LS1 swaps..........

Here> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYr_7Mi7n6g
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
bil

Thanks for the video link-that thing sounds mean!(there is also a 66 video there,stock 442) I am not much for those new style wheels or a tubbed rear,but to each there own.However,I do appreciate a nice,fast car like that,the best of the old styling and new technology.
The 403 wouldn't have been my first choice,but it was in there when I bought the car.I also got the original 65 400,in pieces,and the 2 speed trans.I have a rebuilt 455 sitting around,I was going to stick it into my sons 70 Cutlass,but it runs real strong already.I am in no rush to do anything,it is REAL cold back home,and I am warm and cozy at the beach in California a bit more. ---bil
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:10 PM

I'm not sure how I've missed this thread, but I like the car Destroyer67. Nice color and the wheels...are they Boss 338's? I almost bought them for my car. BTW I live just south of Tampa in the Apollo Beach area. It's nice to see another local Olds.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 72CuttySupreme
I'm not sure how I've missed this thread, but I like the car Destroyer67. Nice color and the wheels...are they Boss 338's? I almost bought them for my car. BTW I live just south of Tampa in the Apollo Beach area. It's nice to see another local Olds.
Hey dude. They are Boss wheels but right now I can't recall which ones. I found them on Ebay and thought they would fit right in with what I was planning........and they did!. I am a local and would love to meet up sometime.
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Very nice rides!!
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Resident Eskie

You want to go faster? Eat more fiber but keep the Olds engines in the Olds.
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:14 AM
NOVICE car nut

nice rides Destroyer67!!! and I agree , make the car the way you like it....If its the last thing I do , im gonna own another 67 before I die.
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by snowballs442
You want to go faster? Eat more fiber but keep the Olds engines in the Olds.
This car may again be Olds powered in the future. A simple motor mount swap and it's done. Right now I'm gonna enjoy it with a Chevy motor but I'll be on the lookout for a proper 455 to drop in it. I used to find old Olds '98's and so forth with 455's easily but it's harder now.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Progressing ever so slowly but finally got the motor done, now I need to get it to an exhaust shop for the dual exhaust and flowmasters. Did a custom dash install which I think is looking good. Installed a floor shifter, new carpet and put in a box with 2 12's and hooked up 3 amps. Tomorrow I'll have the Mercedes power seats installed and hopefully all the gauges working etc..........

P2071767.jpg

P2071768.jpg

P2071769.jpg

P2071772.jpg

P2071771.jpg

P2071770.jpg
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Looking good. I need to get my dash done. I've had the gauges almost 3 years.
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mingus
Looking good. I need to get my dash done. I've had the gauges almost 3 years.
Thanks man. I wanted to simply modify the stock dash but the kid that was helping with the car convinced me this was a better idea. I like it but feel the interior lost a bit of it's character because of it. Sitting it in it now feels kinda weird. It's also got front seats out of an '87 300e Mercedes that go well with the car I think and are a whole lot more comfortable than the stock seats plus they have power recline and power headrests. I wish I had some better "before pics". Interior was really bad. All the stock door panels and rear seats were re-used but I painted them with SEM vinyl paint and they came out great. Sunday I'll take some pics of the completed car. Here's a couple of pics of the car at the ex-owners home before I bought it. I'm sure most will like it better than it is now.:

CarLinterior.jpg

CarRtopdown.jpg
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM

It is finally running/driving and complete. Just a few minor adjustments need to be made. Got it back from the exhaust shop yesterday where they installed dual exhaust (2.5") with H-pipe and Flowmaster mufflers. They did a great job! Today was the first time I drove it since I started this project back in November. I had a blast driving it home. Feels like a completely different car now in every respect except the brakes which still suck, lol. It was sweet laying a big patch of rubber with it, first time I COULD do that since I've had it. Disc brake conversion with 2" drop spindles and front end rebuild next..........it never ends!

P2161874.jpg

P2161878.jpg

P2161879.jpg

P2161872.jpg

P2161876.jpg

P2161875.jpg

P2161880.jpg
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Are those Boss 338's for wheels?
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Are those Boss 338's for wheels?
Yes they are.
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM

Wow....nicely done interior. I dig the seats and dash. Good work.
Probably one of the nicest mid 60's one's I've seen. Besides Gearheads.
I'd pimp that one myself.
Originally Posted by Destroyer67
Feels like a completely different car now in every respect except the brakes which still suck, lol. It was sweet laying a big patch of rubber with it, first time I COULD do that since I've had it. Disc brake conversion with 2" drop spindles and front end rebuild next..........it never ends!
Good call. Many people don't upgrade their brakes, and end up getting FUBAR'd later.
Can't compete with modern braking systems in these big heavy cars.

C5 brakes are the cheapest upgrade to 13" rotors.
Best budget rear conversion I've seen is the S10 Chevy but not sure about Olds rear ends.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 16th, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:54 PM
car guy

Congrats on getting it going. Its a great feeling for sure.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
C5 brakes are the cheapest upgrade to 13" rotors.
Do tell. How do I go about purchasing what I need to do the conversion? Thanks for the comments too. I worked hard on this car and am glad at least somebody thinks "not original" is pretty cool.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Congrats on getting it going. Its a great feeling for sure.
Yeah, it really is. A million things go through your head as you are putting it together. The end result is something in your head. When it's all said and done did the end result you were thinking of show itself? In my case, mostly "yes" but there are details I need to work on. I had a lot of fun building this car. It was a very "budget" build so I'm glad it came out as good as it it did. I have maybe $3k into it from start to finish. Not bad!