Front Dash Speaker

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Front Dash Speaker

I'm looking for an original style speaker for the front dash of my '71 Cutlass.
This is the single speaker set-up for the middle. Any recommendations or leads for a new or re-pop speaker would be appreciated, thanks.
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:00 PM

This thread might help...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...termarket.html

I think there is another place or two that either rebuilds them or makes repops.
Old April 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Thanks, I finally scored an original am/fm radio and thought it would be a good chance to do the dash speaker too!
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:54 AM

I have a 71 dash speaker on Ebay. Cone is ripped but you can have them rebuilt , it still has the original plug on it. I would end the listing but it has a bid on it.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Registered

I got both of mine from Electro-Tech and they fit like stock and work good .
If that's a stereo radio you will be needink two speakers.

http://www.turnswitch.com/
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM

I also got mine from Electro-tech. Similar to the original. Sound quality is poor at best. I only put it in to keep the dash original along with the Delco AM radio. I plan on a secret audio system for the real tunes!
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:23 AM

Since I have a convertible, I looked for an original am/fm mono radio which should work fine with only one speaker in the dash. (the speaker in there now is toast!)
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM

I just had both of my '69 factory speakers re-coned a few months ago and they look and sound great (for an old factory-style speaker). I had mine done at:

Jackson Speaker Service
3921 Pine Crest Ct
Jackson, MI 49203

I found them in Hemmings online.

Al
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM

It will probably come down to cost of re-coning vs. a new one from turnswitch. Does anyone know if there is a mounting location for a rear speaker in a Cutlass convertible?
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:58 AM

There are two oval holes in the rear seat frame support on each side of the pump motor. The right hole is the factory position (you could go for two speakers)- facing rearward...You neeed to cut an oval hole in the boot bag, install the speaker facing rearward and there is a painted rectangular grille that covers the speaker with special screws and nuts...blue wire feeds the speaker from the fader at the radio...runs under passenger side carpet...has metal protective cover as it passes under rear seat and white plastic clip before wire passes through backrest and to speaker...try that... oh yea, when the top is down you pretty much can't hear the rear speakers
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM

I've got an original dash speaker if anyone's interested...only thing wrong with it is the fabric cover is torn...not sure how it happened 15 years ago when I put in a newer speaker...but it works and someone could surely repair the cover.

pm me if interested in it
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
There are two oval holes in the rear seat frame support on each side of the pump motor. The right hole is the factory position (you could go for two speakers)- facing rearward...You neeed to cut an oval hole in the boot bag, install the speaker facing rearward and there is a painted rectangular grille that covers the speaker with special screws and nuts...blue wire feeds the speaker from the fader at the radio...runs under passenger side carpet...has metal protective cover as it passes under rear seat and white plastic clip before wire passes through backrest and to speaker...try that... oh yea, when the top is down you pretty much can't hear the rear speakers
Here is a picture with the back seat out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/

Even if you put the best speakers in the world in there, they will still sound like crap, even with holes cut in the top well.
I sealed that triangle support with dynamat and improved it some, but it is not something I brag about.
The back seat makes for a great back massager at high volume...
BAse blocking caps or reducing low frequencies at the radio, amp, or xover would be recommended, as you could not hear bass anyway.
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the great ideas and pics! I can hardly wait for the radio to arrive and begin this job. I'm not really going for big sounds here, but original is important to me. Did the factory ever put speakers in the back of Cutlass convertibles?
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:04 AM

The above WAS about rear speakers in a convert...the early sixties cars had a forward facing speaker in the centre of the rear seat....later engineers had a brain fart...and Rob, there is a grille that goes over the speakers on the roof side of the bag...uses special bolts...hollow and threaded inside and out...bolt and nut on outside thread holds speaker and screw into inside thread holds grille...

Last edited by Yellowstatue; April 30th, 2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Letter fell off ribbon!