Help! what happened to my paint code?

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
No, SSIII (body color wheels) were not an option in 1970, not until 1971.
Not an OPTION, but definitely available in 1970. They were mandatory on the Rallye 350 and the Y74 Pace Cars in 1970. Of course, they WEREN'T called SSIII that year.
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM

here's a recent picture of the car. Rally Red??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
70Olds1.jpg (80.9 KB, 72 views)
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Trying to remember member

Looks right (and good!) to me!!
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by nick77
You can see the red progress to rallye red ...

I am going to repaint just a shade redder and with red over red the paint will go alive right around sunset ...

[/quote]DSC03052.jpg

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...de-70olds1.jpg
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
is Fast Enough ...

You can see the red progress to rallye red ...

I am going to repaint just a shade redder and with red over red the paint will go alive right around sunset ...

[/quote]DSC03052.jpg
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I think that your color is a bit light and a bit orange ...

What was the name of your color I wound up with "Hemi Orange" 'cause they didn't stock rallye red as it would be a duplicate ...

Last edited by mugzilla; October 6th, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:18 AM

The color of the car now is ??????? as this is its #2 paint job following the original. I don't know if they tried to custom match or if they used some type of stocked color. How recent was your 442 painted? Anyway I have attached another pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
70Olds_color.JPG (95.9 KB, 8 views)
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I think that your color is a bit light and a bit orange ...

What was the name of your color I wound up with "Hemi Orange" 'cause they didn't stock rallye red as it would be a duplicate ...
The color of the car now is ??????? as this is its #2 paint job following the original. I don't know if they tried to custom match or if they used some type of stocked color. How recent was your 442 painted? Anyway I have attached another pic.
Please do *not* make any more than casual judgments of what you see on a computer screen (regardless of how high tech the cumputer/monitor). There are too many variables that can alter the color from what it is to what you see.
Never rely on it.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Please do *not* make any more than casual judgments of what you see on a computer screen (regardless of how high tech the cumputer/monitor). There are too many variables that can alter the color from what it is to what you see.
Never rely on it.
I agree there are many variables as can be seen from just my pics, different angles, different light etc. Gotta trust the numbers. I sure wouldn't print out a pic and try to match paint .
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What is red?

Never rely on it.
Well said Kurt,
One of my 72's was Matador Red, yet in some light it looked quite dark and others it appeared to "pulsate" an orangish red. (The color of pigments used to make these paints includes blue, yellow, green, black, white and brown if I remember my paint code correctly. You are so right! I've taken exactly the same picture vued under different color settings to make the point. That could easily happen on a computer depending on your settings. To really appreciate a color, you've got to see it with your own eyes. Even though we all know the car never changed, the pictures do show variations on what would be "red".

DSC03052.jpg?t=1254938166Up1level.jpg?t=1254938126
This is the original picture I took from the thread .................................................. ..............................which I altered by making the contrast and tone lighter. There is nothing in the background that you can use as a benchmark for a color guide, not even the sky or skin tones because they can vary in hue as well. And, depending on how your camera or any filters used, what you see is not always what you get.

Up1level-1.jpg?t=1254938326

There you have it.....3 different colors of red. Which one is right, really? Yes, your computer and your eyes can play tricks on you. I think what I've put in these pics is what Kurt is trying to say in words, and I agree with him.
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Well said Kurt,
One of my 72's was Matador Red, yet in some light it looked quite dark and others it appeared to "pulsate" an orangish red. (The color of pigments used to make these paints includes blue, yellow, green, black, white and brown if I remember my paint code correctly. You are so right! I've taken exactly the same picture vued under different color settings to make the point. That could easily happen on a computer depending on your settings. To really appreciate a color, you've got to see it with your own eyes. Even though we all know the car never changed, the pictures do show variations on what would be "red".

This is the original picture I took from the thread .................................................. ..............................which I altered by making the contrast and tone lighter. There is nothing in the background that you can use as a benchmark for a color guide, not even the sky or skin tones because they can vary in hue as well. And, depending on how your camera or any filters used, what you see is not always what you get.

There you have it.....3 different colors of red. Which one is right, really? Yes, your computer and your eyes can play tricks on you. I think what I've put in these pics is what Kurt is trying to say in words, and I agree with him.
3 pictures are worth 3 million words............thank for the illustrations, Allan!
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Your car is a perfect Rally Red color. Rally Red is code 73, which is just one shade off from code 72 Hugger Orange/Carousel Red. It's supposed to be very orange, as the "pure" red Olds used is code 75 Matador Red.

Below is my original paint Rally Red car, with the photo taken just before heading to the Olds Nationals this year.

IMG_2717.jpg

Terry
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Never rely on it.
I was able to find 1970 charts at the paint store but those chips are disappearing fast ...

The paint is 2 years old with a lot of road time ...

I think you hit it spot on and I'm a big fan of multiple slaps of paint. I think that's a good way to get that pulsating effect ...
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by vette442
Your car is a perfect Rally Red color. Rally Red is code 73, which is just one shade off from code 72 Hugger Orange/Carousel Red. It's supposed to be very orange, as the "pure" red Olds used is code 75 Matador Red.

Below is my original paint Rally Red car, with the photo taken just before heading to the Olds Nationals this year.

Terry
Here is my question ...

Is Rallye Red the color in the inset of the number on the glove box door etc . ..?

Everyone I ask says my car is Orange ...

Last edited by mugzilla; October 9th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
Here is my question ...

Is Rallye Red the color in the inset of the number on the glove box door etc . ..?

Everyone I ask says my car is Orange ...
Maybe this hasn't been previously stated clear enough:
Oldsmobile Rally Red *definiely* looks orange to virtually everyone. It is red in name only.