Ignition switch/column frozen 1975 w/tilt

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2023, 02:18 PM

Ignition switch/column frozen 1975 w/tilt

Hi, new to forum & site. I have frozen column/ ignition switch on 1975 w/tilt. I bought the car new in 1975, has been in family ever since. Now I’m starting resto for our upcoming 50th wedding anniversary in 2025 (Car was new in our wedding pics!). It’s been about a year since I last started it. I went to crank it up with a fresh battery and found the switch would’t turn to start position (accessories pos ok - but not to start)
I put in a new switch but no help. Seems the gears to the column lock are frozen or broken but I haven’t found a way to access and also can’t find parts or info on issue. I Found an old post on this site with exact same issue - with response to a now dead end link and nothing on outcome. Any info or help/leads very much appreciated. Thanks
Old February 23rd, 2023, 02:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Column shift, factory floor shift, or converted floor shift? It sounds like the backdrive linkage may be missing or improperly adjusted. It could also be a broken rack in the column where the key switch pinion actuates the rod that drives the electrical switch.

Old February 23rd, 2023, 05:02 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. It’s floor shift; all original. It’s a Salon - so it also has the dimmer switch on/in the column. Cruise also. Do you know of a good source for rack & sector gear? I’m kinda guessing it’s that and/or lock spring for the column lock is caught up in the gear. I cannot get any movement (can’t depress) on the steering column lock pin, even with the ignition switch out and most everything I could get to removed. Everything I find only shows for 77 & later applications or earlier like up to 1972. Also do you have any knowledge on disassembly to get access to rack & sector gear? I’ve had it torn down to ignition switch, column lock plate, turn signal switch, dimmer switch and snap ring/clip and upper bearing removed, but didn’t see a way to get cover assembly that’s over sector & rack gears off. Maybe have to remove column and remove from bottom. Just feel I’m missing something. I also figured I should find the problem to know what parts I need and what they look like. Seems there are perhaps several different rack/gear configurations. Thanks Again! Any leads or discussion appreciated.
Old February 24th, 2023, 06:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

https://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/
Old February 24th, 2023, 08:05 AM

Thanks Joe, I’ll give them a call. Looks promising! I’m going to try and dissemble once more to investigate what’s needed to fix the problem or give up and send it off. The problem with that is getting the refinishing part done while disassembled. The car is (was) Inca silver with the Wedgewood/med blue interior. So paint/coatings can be tricky to match, even from same brand source. I see they (source link provided) has some instructions for disassembly - but the example picks I looked at are from different model columns, just like the ones I’ve found on UTube. So before I invest in those does anyone else with any info or input on this problem i.e., disassembly,repairing or sources?
Thanks again Joe! I’m further in the journey than I was
I’ll post any progress/solutions as they materialize.

Old February 26th, 2023, 04:25 AM

Maybe this is too simple, but I've had it happen. Did you try to wiggle wheel? Sometimes these cars if shut off while holding wheel in a position, power steering and driver is holding wheel and driver lets go and P/S shuts off. Locking pin is under stress and can't turn Ign Switch....
Old February 26th, 2023, 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;1481481]Column shift, factory floor shift, or converted floor shift? It sounds like the backdrive linkage may be missing or improperly adjusted. It could also be a broken rack in the column where the key switch pinion actuates the rod that drives the electrical switch.

Roger, Well I wish :-) Actually had the steering wheel & lock ring off (that lock pin engages). The pin itself is frozen: not sure why, but haven’t got it apart enough to get to backside.
Still hoping for info/post from someone who’s been there on getting access to rack & sector gear in the column (w/column mounted dimmer and floor shift). Thanks for the input, Tom