Intake Gasket

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2022, 03:34 PM

Intake Gasket

Gentlemen,can you tell me which intake gasket I need to use. I am using the Edelbrock Performer. Can I use the Valley pan or do I have to use the 2 separate gaskets? Will the valley pan work with that setup? This is on a 1970 Cutlass with a 350-4bbl. I do not have a stock intake manifold for the car. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old February 28th, 2022, 03:55 PM

Use the Fel Pro turkey tray
Old February 28th, 2022, 03:59 PM
Administrator

I prefer to use the Edelbrock fiber gasket sets with RTV for the front and rear seals with their alum manifolds. If your going to use the turkey tray do not use the rubber ends, also go with RTV.
Old February 28th, 2022, 06:12 PM

I have used the metal Fel Pro valley tray and composition gaskets (Mondello IG-495, Mr Gasket 405G, and the old Mr Gasket Ultra-Seal 4694G) all with good results.
Old February 28th, 2022, 09:45 PM

I’m surprised Joe P hasn’t chimed in yet, he tends to get a little cranky when this discussion comes up.

The “turkey tray” gasket was used by Olds with the factory aluminum intakes. Assuming everything is still machined square and as the OEM intended, technically there is no reason a turkey tray gasket won’t work with aluminum.

However, it’s possible someone has been into the engine at some point over the last 50 years. The heads might have been milled, head gaskets replaced, engine overhauled, heads swapped, who knows? Then add in the possibility of less than meticulous machine work (both from aftermarket parts and machine shops) and the possibility of machining tolerances stacking up because a real cause for concern. The composite gaskets are more forgiving in those situations.

I have heard of people using both gaskets. They cut or modify the turkey tray gasket to keep hot oil off the bottom of the manifold, and use the composite gasket for actual manifold seal. There are bolt in lifter trays that serve the same purpose. It’s not hard to fab up a tray with cheap sheet metal and some all thread v
Old March 1st, 2022, 07:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I’m surprised Joe P hasn’t chimed in yet, he tends to get a little cranky when this discussion comes up.
I've been on travel for work and unable to chime in. Can I get cranky now?

Seriously, when installed following the directions in the Chassis Service Manual, the stock style gasket works fine with stock iron, stock aluminum, and aftermarket aluminum intakes. I haven't had one leak in the half a century that I've been using them. Yes, throw away the rubber end gaskets and use RTV. I like Permatex Ultra.
Old March 1st, 2022, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
i've been on travel for work and unable to chime in. Can i get cranky now?

Seriously, when installed following the directions in the chassis service manual, the stock style gasket works fine with stock iron, stock aluminum, and aftermarket aluminum intakes. I haven't had one leak in the half a century that i've been using them. Yes, throw away the rubber end gaskets and use rtv. I like permatex ultra.
x2
Old March 2nd, 2022, 01:16 AM

Thank you all so much, I will update when finished.
Old March 2nd, 2022, 09:38 AM

I was losing copious amounts ( a LOT of oil) through my intake. Removed manifold and found the two individual intake gaskets were gone. See pics in my albums. Used the aluminum turkey tray and ditched the rubber end gaskets. Used a thick bead of ultra gray instead. Many miles later and no oil loss. Good luck and keep us posted