Need serious help gettin started

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Angry Need serious help gettin started

I JUST GOT RIPPED ME OFF FOR $100 AND READY TO BUST DUDE HEAD IF I SEE HIM BUT MOR TO THE MATTER I HAVE A 72 GOLD/RUST 4 DR CUTLASS IM TRYIN TO FLIP TO SHOW CAR. FIRST WANT TO GET STARTED, 2) POP TRUNK WIT NO KEY, 3) BODY WORK TRUNK AND CAR, 4) PUT 8 10'S IN TRUNK, 5) LIFT CAR TO FIT 26"S, FROM THERE I'LL BE GUD BUT NEED TO START SUMWHERE AND DO IT MYSELF CAUSE IMA HURT 1 OF THESE REPAIR GUYS TRYNNA GET OVA ON ME CAUSE IM 20
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM

English a second language?

sb
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Seems like!! I didn't understand any of that.

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; June 13th, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM

I am not sure what help you want, but if you start over and guit SHOUTING we may be able to help you. We are a helpful bunch but we need more info.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM

So you have a 72 4dr that you want to turn into a show car. You want a remote lock for the trunk and have a speaker box built to go inside. Then have it lifted for 26 inch rims.

Your having a problem finding a trust worth body man to do the work.

Maybe telling your location, someone maybe able to give you a name of some one good.
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Yo dude, mos here R olden an yous got to get wit the oldschool rap. as fur wit we see, u takin shete an weese need to follo wat u sayin, u no wit i'm sayin? my momma din raise no dummies but what the hell u talkin bout Willis? we lookin to help but we need to no wat u sayin.
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
So you have a 72 4dr that you want to turn into a show car. You want a remote lock for the trunk and have a speaker box built to go inside. Then have it lifted for 26 inch rims.

Your having a problem finding a trust worth body man to do the work.

Maybe telling your location, someone maybe able to give you a name of some one good.
You, sir are a paragon of goodwill and an example of tolerance to us all. Not only that, but you speak jive. I am impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bhTxvzrUFo

sb
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 80_cutlass
You, sir are a paragon of goodwill and an example of tolerance to us all. Not only that, but you speak jive. I am impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bhTxvzrUFo

sb

I've always liked that movie. I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:12 PM

I guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

sb
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:35 PM

CEO , you hiring?
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:02 PM

So are you trying to tell us that you want your car in a rap video?
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Olds425, and 70 cutlass s, Thanks for keeping with the forum etiquette for I see a lot of new users from Australia, Switzerland, Canada etc. that aren't mocked for their lack of the use of proper english. Let's all understand that we do what we want to do with our cars so when someone else wants to do something that we may or may not do to our own that it is THEIR car. They don't complain about us keeping ours all original, or putting on a set of SSI, Crager's, or changing the paint color so lets not mock or tease someone for what they want to do with THEIR car.

CEOJOE,

When you use all caps on a forum board it is not only considered shouting but it is also harder for some of the viewers to see. 1) You mentioned getting the car to start, are you getting adequate power from the battery? Fuel flowing from tank? Does the car turn over but won't crank? Be more descriptive of the problems you are experiencing and post your location a member may live nearby and can come assist you.

2) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ELI-PT200/

3) Again if you post your location I am sure some of the members here will be able to help you find a good bodyshop.

4) http://cgi.ebay.com/4-FOUR-HOLE-10-S...item414fd57cd2

5) http://universalcarlifts.com/product...roducts_id=229

P.S. Please don't go and bust someone's head over a $100 that might land you in jail not only owing a fine quite a bit more than $100, but also locked up! Then you won't be able to work on your Olds
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by drec02
Olds425, and 70 cutlass s, Thanks for keeping with the forum etiquette for I see a lot of new users from Australia, Switzerland, Canada....
You do know that English is spoken in most (if not all) provinces of Canada, eh? Australia I seem to remember uses English as well, on occassion.

Do you really think this is a person of foreign origin trying to convey a thought in a second language? Really?

If it is, I apologize. But I will say this, if it is a person from another country carrying on the old car hobby, I will eat my hat.

My guess: this person is a product of our public school system and the texting revolution of our times and he thinks this is the proper way to communicate via a keyboard.

I, for one, would not frequent a board covered with this sort of "communication." More suited to a Jr. High yearbook.

Do you not find it hard to decipher the original post?

sb

Last edited by 80_cutlass; June 14th, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old June 14th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Registered

Say What?

What's proper English?
Who makes fun?
An Oldsomobile is what it's called in Italy?
IMO we are very good to foreign members here and they never complain at all, in fact they all praise this site for the help and patience when they have trouble communicating. We are also very tolerant of all types of all cars and what is done to them... as long as they're Oldsmobiles. Just don't put a chebby engine in it and your golden, pun intended.
Those foreign guys are learned by there teacher a second language and knows how to talks and types it gooder than we does.

Pop trunk with no key?
Have "The Fonz" smack it once and it will open right up.

If it is no trunk key the glove box is the same, can take the lock tumbler to a locksmith and have a new key cut from that one. Just take the whole door, or car. A locksmith could open the trunk in a minute too.
Take out the back seat and if you can see the back of the latch you turn the piece where the shaft comes through or just unbolt the catch or latch. Some cars you can't get in there well so you take a broomstick and cram it over where the lock extendo piece goes through the back of the latch hard and turn at the same time. You can also use a long socket extension and unscrew those bolts.

Last edited by Bluevista; June 14th, 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: improper English
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Last edited by Bluevista; Today at 10:16 AM.. Reason: improper English

funniest in context thing I've read today.......

Thank you for that..
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by extreme1
funniest in context thing I've read today.......

Thank you for that..
[/i]
Agreed.

sb
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Olds425, and 70 cutlass s, Thanks for keeping with the forum etiquette for I see a lot of new users from Australia, Switzerland, Canada etc. that aren't mocked for their lack of the use of proper english.
In my experience, it's not the non-Americans who have a problem with proper English.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM

Olds425, and 70 cutlass s, Thanks for keeping with the forum etiquette for I see a lot of new users from Australia, Switzerland, Canada etc. that aren't mocked for their lack of the use of proper english. Let's all understand that we do what we want to do with our cars so when someone else wants to do something that we may or may not do to our own that it is THEIR car. They don't complain about us keeping ours all original, or putting on a set of SSI, Crager's, or changing the paint color so lets not mock or tease someone for what they want to do with THEIR car.

CEOJOE,

When you use all caps on a forum board it is not only considered shouting but it is also harder for some of the viewers to see. 1) You mentioned getting the car to start, are you getting adequate power from the battery? Fuel flowing from tank? Does the car turn over but won't crank? Be more descriptive of the problems you are experiencing and post your location a member may live nearby and can come assist you.

2) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ELI-PT200/

3) Again if you post your location I am sure some of the members here will be able to help you find a good bodyshop.

4) http://cgi.ebay.com/4-FOUR-HOLE-10-S...item414fd57cd2

5) http://universalcarlifts.com/product...roducts_id=229

P.S. Please don't go and bust someone's head over a $100 that might land you in jail not only owing a fine quite a bit more than $100, but also locked up! Then you won't be able to work on your Olds
Don't be so stiff man, we're only havin' a little fun. You can't tell me that someone who posts like that on a sight like this won't get a little ribbing. I'm sorry but nobody writes like that or even talks like that in real life unless they are putting it on. It's more attitude than lack of English skills. You can tell when some one is struggling with English as a second or third language. CEOJOE is having his own fun. Beside, we're all still willing to help him.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Cutlass Lover

You guys just make me laugh!!! I love it here!
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
You guys just make me laugh!!! I love it here!
See! Sandy knows how to have fun.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Cutlass Lover

You gotta have a sense of humor!! I love to laugh!!
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

WOOT WOOT Oldsmobiledonkconversions.com is down the street...........
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:00 AM

I hope we didn't run him off.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I can't say for sure but I would guess that this is some one that is trying to stir up the people on the board for fun. Just my opinion, but they haven't been back to post. On a side note, I am living in Japan and I have talked to Japanese Nationals that have a better command of the English language.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:02 AM
GM Enthusiast

I JUST GOT RIPPED ME OFF FOR $100 AND READY TO BUST DUDE HEAD IF I SEE HIM BUT MOR TO THE MATTER I HAVE A 72 GOLD/RUST 4 DR CUTLASS IM TRYIN TO FLIP TO SHOW CAR. FIRST WANT TO GET STARTED, 2) POP TRUNK WIT NO KEY, 3) BODY WORK TRUNK AND CAR, 4) PUT 8 10'S IN TRUNK, 5) LIFT CAR TO FIT 26"S, FROM THERE I'LL BE GUD BUT NEED TO START SUMWHERE AND DO IT MYSELF CAUSE IMA HURT 1 OF THESE REPAIR GUYS TRYNNA GET OVA ON ME CAUSE IM 20
I think I understood most of it, so I guess I speak some jive too!

How did you get ripped off for $100? That doesn't sound too bad.
26's fit on a Cutlass? Wow, that'll make a statement!
8 10's in the trunk? Do you want to blow the rear window out? yikes, guess I'm getting old before 40.

Well, post any reasonable questions here, I'm sure one of us can help.
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM

Ok ok let me start by saying thanks for people that helped and ones that didn't was heat when i started post but i do need help. 1st I have a 72 4dr cutlass wit 72g miles on it that carb dont work but can move. 2nd i got rip off for a hei distributor and now have a proper 1 in black. 3rd and most important i want to max out wit car wit 24's body and paint, guts, and sounds but if i dont get car started first im f#@ked. My engine as told is not locked but the person who ripped me off never gave me info bout what position distributor was in. 4th my trunk is locked and i have no key. I am goin to try glove box trick but if dont work what should i do. Need help with everything cause this my 1st old school car "born in 89 and had 7 cars from Lincolns, Cadillac, and just sold 94 t-top firebird" in the 757 area of Va
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Wow ! Sounds like you have a ton of issues with this car. You sound a little angry as well, like someone did you wrong. I would ask one question at a time to start out with because if what you just said was a picture, it would be of someone hitting a hornets nest with a stick. There's alot of buzzing going on and I'm confused....

Maybe load a photo so everyone can see what you have to work with.
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:30 AM

1) If your car can drive around the block but doesn't run too well then I suggest you rebuild the carburetor and do a tune up. For less than $100 in parts (if you do the labor yourself) you can completely tune up your Olds.

2) If you have an HEI distributor you can always take it to the auto parts store and make sure the module is still good. If it is then all you have to do is put it in the engine and wire up the spark plug wires.

3) If you want to paint the car and put rims on it then you might want to find a local shop near you that specializes in rims/paint. Depending on what type of paint you want you can either pay someone $10,000 to put a House of Kolor paint job on it or you can pay $1500 to sand it your self, prep it and drop it off at Macco. The problem with big rims is going to be finding the proper wheel size and tire size without going too big.

3a) If the distributor isn't in the car then put your finger over #1 spark plug hole and have a buddy kick over the engine with the starter. Once your finger is blown off the spark plug hole by compression that will be TDC on #1. You should also see the timing mark on the harmonic balancer. Just install the distributor so it is pointing at the #1 cylinder. Then wire your spark plug wires accordingly.

4) If your trunk is locked and you don't have the key you can sometimes remove the back seat and pop open the lock from the back with a really long screw driver.
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by CEOJOE
Ok ok let me start by saying thanks for people that helped and ones that didn't was heat when i started post but i do need help. 1st I have a 72 4dr cutlass wit 72g miles on it that carb dont work but can move. 2nd i got rip off for a hei distributor and now have a proper 1 in black. 3rd and most important i want to max out wit car wit 24's body and paint, guts, and sounds but if i dont get car started first im f#@ked. My engine as told is not locked but the person who ripped me off never gave me info bout what position distributor was in.
I think, by the next sentence in your post, you realize that the 1st and 2nd points are actually more important than #3.

Does the car run or not?

Do you have any sort of manual for the car? Some very basic things are (seemingly) throwing you for a loop. If you can find you can find TDC for #1, you can stab the distributor and figure out where the wires need to go....1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 is the firing order.

Is the carb a 2bbl or 4bbl? Maybe I missed that somewhere. Either way, as much as I hate remanned carbs, that might be your best bet. Figure right around $200.

You've already gotten several good tips on getting the trunk open.

sb
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM

got distributor in dont know if right but will test it monday but need to know gap size for spark plugs....

Old July 6th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Usually, the spark plugs come pre-gapped from the parts store. If not then just ask them what the spark plug gap should be. Sorry I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

BTW, looks like a good project!
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Never trust the factory gaps. That 20-year old behind the counter probably dropped them all over the place and gave you the ol' zero gap! (Just jokin' about the 20-year old stuff CEO, don't come after me!)

My Motors manual says (for a 1972 2bbl 350):
Plug gap: .040" (40 thousandths)
Point gap: .016" (16 thousandths, or dwell = 30 degrees if you have a meter)
Timing: 8 degrees @ 1100 RPM.

Good Luck!
Bob
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Good point Bob. It is only a few dollars for a spark plug gapping tool.
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM

got car started did my own tune up but gotta do oil change and radiator flush. Had no brakes @ first but bleed brakes and found out front wheels was locked but friend helped me and it was just tight and rusted. is there anything i can simply do to make run faster?....or easiest and cheapest way to lift 5 inches
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:30 AM

Good job on getting the car started. As far as making it go faster are you currently running a 2 barrel carb or a 4 barrel? Do you know if it has a performance cam in it or the stock cam? What rear end gears are you running? Stock points or an Hei system? Theses things can be changed to give you more power.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:13 AM

The easiest swap would be to go to a 4 barrel carburetor (I see in the pic you have a 2 barrel). You can usually find stock parts for this swap fairly cheaply.

If you want to raise your suspension for big wheels I suggest going to a shop that specializes in this work. My guess would be that you would have to put a lift kit on your car (like the truck guys do).

BTW, here is an excellent website for swapping tires and rims:

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Just put your stock tire size on the left side (you probably have a 7 inch rim with 0 offset). Then tinker with the tire size unitl you find a bigger rim and tire with the same outside dimensions.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM

I am the second owner of 72 4 dr cutlass an old lady from NC owneed it b4 me so my car is all stock but the HEI Distributor but it get but i want to be able to fly 80 on 24's or 26" rims. but first want to repair fenders, front & back window, por 15 everything i can and get body to prime and add lambo doors on front doors
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM

oh can somebody please tell me a easy way to do bodywork to my car. "From original paint/rust to black primer"
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:04 PM

The easy way to get your car to black primer is to just sand the whole car and buy yourself some rattle cans of black primer and have at it.

That is NOT the right way to do it though if you want it to look decent. There is no easy way to do body and paint work. It takes a lot of patience, time and the proper tools.

Ron
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Lambo doors. So FAIL Lamborghini doesn't even use them anymore!!

Originally Posted by CEOJOE
I am the second owner of 72 4 dr cutlass an old lady from NC owneed it b4 me so my car is all stock but the HEI Distributor but it get but i want to be able to fly 80 on 24's or 26" rims. but first want to repair fenders, front & back window, por 15 everything i can and get body to prime and add lambo doors on front doors

Quick Reply: Need serious help gettin started