Need serious help gettin started

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:29 AM

i want to be able to fly 80 on 24's or 26" rims.
Another necessary repair to your car is going to be the brakes. A big set of rims weigh much more than a stock set. It is a good idea to at least redo all of the brake pads / shoes, rotors and drums. This will make sure you can stop your luxo barge.

Like Ron said, sand paper and rattle can primer are the easiest way to get started on your body work. I suggest starting with 180 grit and then going to 320 grit. That is what I am doing to my 71 98 before I prime it. Use our search function, there are a number of posts on bodywork projects.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Cutlass driver in Germany

My advise: check for car clubs in your area, go work part time for a body shop, doing clean ups and other easy things, just try to meet people who work in the field. If you be able to work for a shop you get a little money, having access to the pros knowledge, and if you come on well and they like you, they even help you, or have you using their tools. I assume you are kind of short on money, thats why I tell you how I would do it if I were in your situation.

Also sanding down a car and having it painted, I wouldn't wanna do it on the side of the road. If you find the right pals for this project go ahead and get it done. But if you have no car insider to help you, I recommend you give up your project and save the money till you have enough to buy you an old car, which has not a lot of work to it. From there it is easier to reach the goal of a impressive car.
Old July 31st, 2010, 06:58 AM

Craftsmen22, that's some great advice! I washed tools, etc., in a small transmission shop in 1966 for $7 a week and all I could learn. Today, I rebuild entire drivelines. Did the same thing in the Navy...ran the Auto Hobby Shop at night. Now I do everything but chrome plating, machining and alignment (lack of equipment).
Aufwiedersehen,
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:11 AM
Cutlass driver in Germany

Hi Bob, same with me, I wanted to learn about motorcycles, so I walked up to a motorcycle shop and asked if I could help them for free. I did this before my apprenticeship started, just about five weeks, but I remember it as a great time. The shop owner paid me 3$ an hour, which was cool, since I didn't expect money. Back then I got good knowledge about motorcycles, and I can do lots of stuff by my own, but I always feel more secure using a service book for the car or motorcycle.