New 68 Cutlass s member

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:33 PM

New 68 Cutlass s member

I'm glad I found this olds forum! I can't post any pics right now as my digital camera was stolen last month. I got my car a couple of years ago. It originally had a 2speed auto on the column. I don't know which engine it had originally. I found it for sale in Milliken, Colorado where I live. It is a fixer upper and the previous owner put a 330 horse 350 chevy crate motor in it and a turbo 400 tranny. I would have preferred an olds motor! My brother had a 74 cutlass in high school with 350 4 barrell. It ran super until it blew a rod one day... We found a 455 Olds out of a 75 Olds wagon and dropped it in. It was stock but man it ran! We loved the torque it put out. We could break the tires loose at will. I was looking for a Cutlass to drop a 455 into when I found this one. I really like the looks of this 68 so I bought it even though it has a chevy in it. I decided to keep the Chevy since the engine was already paid for and to avoid the extra cost of buying and building a 455 and tranny. Last year my friend traded me a mark 6 454 Chevy crate motor for my 350. It is just a replacement motor for a 454 pickup. It probably makes less horepower than the 350 but it runs real good and has lots of torque! It reminds me a lot of my brothers old 455. Now I'm waiting for a few parts from Summit and then I will replace the tranny for a 700r4 out of an 84 Camaro. I got the tranny because it was cheap and is supposed to be in good shape. I would like to replace the 3.00 open rearend for a 3.55 posi. I think it will be a good all around driver and if I don't build the engine up too much the tranny will hopefully survive. I am getting a/c parts out of a 71 Cutlass this weekend so I can fix my a/c. This car is in a salvage yard. Let me know if you need any parts and I will see if it has them. I have an extra hood for a 68 Olds that I will sell. It is in really good shape but it is plain and has the rocket emblem rather than the s emblem. I also have an extra front bumper. It isn't great but if yours is missing or wrapped around a pole this one would work until you got a better one. I am looking for a rear bumper as mine is tweaked. My brother is building a 69 Cutlass s. He is building a 455 and turbo 400 for it. His car currently has a 350 Olds 2barrell with approximately 60,000 original miles. It runs good and he will sell this engine and the tranny that is bolted to it too. I also have a friend with a 403 Olds Trans Am. He wants to put a Pontiac engine in it so the 403 is for sale if anyone is interested. I can be reached at erik_80543@msn.com. I hope to hear from some of you and I hope everyone enjoys their Oldsmobiles as much as I am enjoying mine!
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Hello Erik, welcome to the site! As we all talk about our cars I would suggest you focus your discussions on the Oldsmobile parts of your car. Most of us on this site are very partial to the Oldsmobile drivetrain so that's what we use. There have been a few people in the past who have wanted to discuss how they thought their Chebby drivetrain in their Cutlass was better than our Oldsmobile engines/trannies. That's not a way to make new friends!!! If someone wants to discuss that then they need to go to a Chevy site, not an Oldsmobile site. So a warm welcome but please understand on this site we want to talk about, and help each other with, Oldsmobiles. John

Last edited by 2blu442; June 15th, 2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM

It's good to hear from you John. I would like to make it clear that I don't wish to ruffle any feathers here. I am on this forum because I truly like Oldsmobiles. I feel that they are the best cars built by GM. I really like the build quality and styling. I also think that they have great engines and are a blast to drive. I only use a Chevy drivetrain because that is how I got it. I still need to replace the interior and do bodywork and paint. I am on a limited budget and I want to continue driving it. Perhaps one day I will get rid of this one and buy an Olds with an Olds in it. If this car had an Olds engine in it when I got it, I gaurantee that it would still have one in it today. I merely wanted to share with others the story about my car.
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM

That's cool, when you begin to work on the interior or body I know there are people on this site who've had 1968's all apart. Don't hesitate to ask questions and share how your project is going. We all like to see photos too, so when your able please post a picture of your car and maybe the other ones in the family too! John
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM

My Cutlass pics

I finally borrowed my neighbors camera and took these pictures. The hood and front bumper on this car are the ones that I mentioned that I will sell. The cars under the tarps in the picture are my 1963 Galaxie 2 door hardtops. One is the formal top 500XL with bucket seats and auto console. The other is a midyear Galaxie 500 with a sport roof. I also sent a picture of my 1965 Comet 404. Additionaly, I also have a 1963 Country Sedan Wagon. Yes, I really dig old wagons! This is a wagon based on the Galaxie body. I would like to have a 1968 Vista Cruiser.... Maybe someday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
erik's sh...stuff 001.jpg (68.4 KB, 23 views)
erik's sh...stuff 002.jpg (101.8 KB, 36 views)
erik's sh...stuff 004.jpg (167.2 KB, 18 views)
erik's sh...stuff 009.jpg (81.3 KB, 23 views)
erik's sh...stuff 011.jpg (82.3 KB, 29 views)
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM

hey i was just wondering if ur getting rid of parts on ur 68?
im looking for a steering wheel...
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Sorry, but the front bumper and hood in the pictures are the only extra parts I have. This is a complete car and I drive it as much as I can. I have no plans to part it out. Good luck!