new guy looking to buy 70 cutless

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2014, 02:25 PM

Last 1...I promise! Can you say Lightning Rods?!?

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/4260750295.html
Old January 21st, 2014, 02:34 PM

Wow that's not a bad deal.
Old January 21st, 2014, 02:37 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by jeffwpayne
No no no lol too big too big.. lol
About the same size as the 4dr Lincoln you want.
Old January 21st, 2014, 02:41 PM

Yeah but Lincoln looks way better. I'm sold on the suicide doors. love it
Old January 21st, 2014, 03:10 PM

Why "lol"? That's actually a pretty nice car. May be a little loud for a newborn but looks like it's worth the $$.
Old January 21st, 2014, 03:32 PM

Iv never seen one before. Probably worth looking at since its across town
Old January 21st, 2014, 04:03 PM
72 Olds CS

I would be all over that HO 4k and you have some extra $ to work on the car
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:26 PM
Lansing built

[QUOTE=jeffwpayne;644492]Well that deal fell through.(quote)

Not that I am being nosy! What happened?

Pat
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:37 PM

Not at all, so I drove 2 hours to check it out and there was rust in more places than he said, bubbling under the vinyl top, the sides of the car, trunk and hood. Car was repainted few years back and not a great job. the motor didn't start right up, interior was extremely moldy. I could go on and on.. even though All of that wasn't really the big deal breaker as it was expected. But he slapped the extra dealer fees and crap back on when I told him I still wanted it, he said there was nothing he could do. So I just left. It is what it is.

Last edited by jeffwpayne; January 21st, 2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:44 PM

I was going to check out that Pontiac Ventura I posted. But It's sold, still thinking about making a offer on the 71 rusty just for a nice parts pile. (And to say I own a olds cutlass ha) He's asking $2k I told him there is no way I could come close to that number. Now he's at $1,200 as that's what he's got into it. thinking about offering him $800.

Last edited by jeffwpayne; January 21st, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:07 PM
Lansing built

Not at all, so I drove 2 hours to check it out and there was rust in more places than he said, bubbling under the vinyl top, the sides of the car, trunk and hood. Car was repainted few years back and not a great job. the motor didn't start right up, interior was extremely moldy. I could go on and on.. even though All of that wasn't really the big deal breaker as it was expected. But he slapped the extra dealer fees and crap back on when I told him I still wanted it, he said there was nothing he could do. So I just left. It is what it is.
Good call, now you know the pains of buying a collector car! Also that pictures on classic cars lie! You should look at that 98! #1 for the experience of looking at classics and #2 if the car is that much better than what you just looked at for a 1/3 of the price maybe you should pull the trigger on that one.

FYI you have to add in some cash for your captains license for the land yacht.
Another plus, if you buy an Olds of some sort, you already know that your in good hands here on this site! Great people with a ton of knowledge.

Good luck with what ever you purchase Jeff and take good care of the youngin when ever he or she comes along!

Pat
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:12 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

I was going to check out that Pontiac Ventura I posted. But It's sold, still thinking about making a offer on the 71 rusty just for a nice parts pile. (And to say I own a olds cutlass ha) He's asking $2k I told him there is no way I could come close to that number. Now he's at $1,200 as that's what he's got into it. thinking about offering him $800.
Wait, he went from 6k down to 1,200?
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:16 PM

Hey pat, thanks for everything I really appreciate it. And Yes when my son is born he will be in great hands. Im pretty sure he will want a olds just as much as me. This forum is absolutely the main reason a olds is number 1 on my list. You guys are great.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by molasses4masses
Haha that would be the day. I posted pics of a different cutlass a '71 that the guy wants $1200 for. It's pretty much a parts car, the one for $6k was a '70

Last edited by jeffwpayne; January 21st, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:20 PM
Lansing built

You got lost, he spotted another supreme a 71 rusty but some power train pieces may be worth the money, last counter offer from the owner is $1200.00 original asking price was $2000.00

Pat
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:32 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Yeah, I just noticed that. Sorry. I'm operating on little sleep since my wife just gave birth to our second son at 4:40 this morning.

You and I are looking for similar vehicles. Good luck!
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:22 PM

Nice little gas sipper.. thinking I could buy it and slap a for sale sticker on her, ask $8k drive it till she sells, make a little profit and on with the next one.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:24 PM

Yeah, I just noticed that. Sorry. I'm operating on little sleep since my wife just gave birth to our second son at 4:40 this morning.

You and I are looking for similar vehicles. Good luck!
Thank you, and congratulations on the second child, the closer it get to mine coming the more excited I'm getting.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:05 PM

Nice little gas sipper.. thinking I could buy it and slap a for sale sticker on her, ask $8k drive it till she sells, make a little profit and on with the next one.

Oooo, I like that 1!

But I stand by my previous comments about old cars and your situation. If you plan on driving that Buick regularly, that sucker will cost you a small fortune in gas alone (11-12 MPG if you're lucky and you HAVE to use premium!). Never mind upkeep.

Since you have 0 and I have had 2, I'd like to tell you from experience that babies cost A LOT OF $$$!!...and they keep costing money for years.

Be careful.

BTW, I like your plan about the resale. I'd ask $9k and figure a way to increase visibility.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:06 PM
Administrator

I like the Buick, and if it looks as nice in person, it's well worth the asking price.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:58 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Thank you, and congratulations on the second child, the closer it get to mine coming the more excited I'm getting.
Thanks! Expect no sleep when your time comes!

I'd say jump on that Skylark and do as you said: drive it and sell it. Easy way to make a little extra for your next one.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:52 AM

I understand what you guys are telling me, part of me says do it. it will be fun to drive with a for sale sign on it and part of me says just buy the family car lol. If I do pick it up its strictly to and from work only. Think I could sell it fast as there are a few guys into classic cars that come to the store I work at. As far as sleep goes I don't get much of that so I'm use to it.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:38 AM

Something happened to the link but here is a pic of the car, going to try to check it out tomorrow.

Screenshot_2014-01-22-23-10-39.png
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:31 PM

Little update guys, I have been looking for a modern car and all the ones I find end up selling before I can look at them. So I'm being patient. In the mean time I still want a classic car. What you think about this project and is $1500 reasonable. Has the 455 in it, needs carb cleaned or rebuilt and fuel pump to run.

Craigslist: Buick 1972 http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/4306678496.html
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Lansing built

Jeff, go and look at it! Pictures are inconclusive at the angle they are taken from! Again if anything, you can at least sharpen your skills at looking at classics.

The old saying buy as much as you can afford. The worse off they are the more money they suck out of your wallet.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; January 29th, 2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Lansing built

Here is one for you Jeff! Boring more door in white, but looking at the pictures of the jambs and trunk area. This appears to be very clean.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4309047918.html
Pat
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Here is one for you Jeff! Boring more door in white, but looking at the pictures of the jambs and trunk area. This appears to be very clean.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4309047918.html
Pat

+1
Nice find Pat! That thing looks clean as a whistle! That's a nice 1.
Old January 30th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Wow that is nice, I have a few cars im going to buy and flip to make more money. Figured I need to be wise with the cash I have.
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:52 PM

This has been mentioned but I have experience driving my '69 SS Nova back in the days of yore when I selfishly kept my "specialty" ride as our "second" car for backup baby toting. Two things -

Loading a baby in the back seat of your coupe will develop zen contortionist moves Bruce Lee couldn't duplicate.

Seriously, the lap or crude shoulder/lap setups DO NOT work as proper baby seat restraints. I ended up fitting late 80's belt and fastener components to keep the child seat from moving. It was well worth it knowing that seat was pulled down tight.
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:17 AM

Lol, haha thanks. Iv decided to wait on the muscle car thing for later in life, they need more time and money than a new born.
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
Seriously, the lap or crude shoulder/lap setups DO NOT work as proper baby seat restraints. I ended up fitting late 80's belt and fastener components to keep the child seat from moving. It was well worth it knowing that seat was pulled down tight.
Huh? Sorry, but I don't get that statement at all. I had absolutely no problems properly securing a car seat with the non-inertia reel lap belt in the back seat of my 70 W-30. Frankly, I'd be more worried about inertia reel belts on new cars.

Now, I will admit that it's been a quarter century since I dealt with a car seat, so maybe new car seats have a different design that isn't compatible with old-style belts, but I'd be amazed by that.
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:43 PM

Joe, might have been my setup or child seat design but securing front-back worked fine threading the manually adjusted lap belt through the seat guides. The problem was tilt or the upper part of the seat moving excessively. You could grab the top of the seat and pull it forward and laterally easily. The seat instructions show use of the shoulder belt to secure the upper part including a "clip" to adapt to conventional shoulder belts. With no shoulder, I added one (of sorts) to lock the upper child seat into the seat back. This required a new anchor point fastened directly behind the rear seat top (through bolted) and a vertical manual belt tied to an existing floor anchor to get high-low tension. When the seat was then installed, the vertical belt took out all lateral and upper tilt motion.

This was probably over-engineered where most would have dealt with the lap only. I reacted to fear of the seat diving forward then snapping back in a front collision. Looking at modern cars, they have gone to great lengths to secure baby seats often having dedicated straps and clips exclusively for this tilt and shift purpose. No guilt for what I did at the time. That seat would have passed NHRA tech.

Edit: Wait, all this was about the larger toddler seat install. The baby seat was arched (laid back) where the lap belt pulled it down fine. The upright kid seat was much taller and looked like a Ricaro. Sorry for not defining that.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; February 1st, 2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:57 PM

Ok guys little update for those of you interested. My little baby boy was born 8weeks early, 2pounds 12ounces 15.5" long. He is now 5 days old today and doing good. He's in nicu for at least 6weeks. They got him on all sorts of machines to help support him and his mother and i see him at least 2 times a day. I would die for him he's the best thing that's ever happened to me. I put the muscle car on hold for a few years as I'm working on finding a better career. I used some of the money from selling my truck and bought a 19' action craft flats boat lol wise decision right. I'm saving the rest of my money and using my tax return to keep flipping things on Craigslist to make extra money like iv always done. Im driving my old truck that I sold to my father and we are working out a deal for me to get it back. So everything is going pretty good so far. Thanks for listening to me and giving me the advice everyone. You guys are great.
Old February 19th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Self-prescribed Newbie

Congrats! My oldest spent 6 weeks in the NICU. He's adopted and had to deal with issues from his birth mother being on medicine while pregnant (nothing major in the long term, just had withdrawals from it). It was horrible for us having to go back and forth several times a day. You'll learn to enjoy the hospital food. Take good care of the nurses when you leave, they don't get appreciated much.
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Congrats on the new baby, hopefully everything goes well.
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:07 PM

M4m wow. It's definitely a rollercoaster ride but he's doing great, glad you made it through it yourself. I plan to do something nice for everyone that's helped us just trying to think of something that they will always remember. Thanks oldcutlass
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:39 PM

Congrats on the baby boy!! I hope he continues to do well and that you guys are able to enjoy him in your place real soon.

My opinion....you've made a wise choice putting off the old car for a little while. They may seem "cheap" to buy, but they can cost lots to keep. Babies aren't cheap, you'll see.

Best of luck to you and your family!
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:37 PM

con grats on ur child but leave ur new child out of any new old car u buy till its older for ur safty and theres youll have the rest of ur life to spend with him don't rush it keep him safe and sound for now at home with mommy