Opinions needed on 72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM

Opinions needed on 72 Cutlass

Hello Gentlemen,

I may be purchasing a 1972 Cutlass S, 350 4 barrel, dual exhaust. 89,000 supposed original miles. Car is "all original except for one paint 15 years ago." Has title. See pics. Let me know what you think it's worth. THANKS !
Old February 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpage
Hello Gentlemen,

I may be purchasing a 1972 Cutlass S, 350 4 barrel, dual exhaust. 89,000 supposed original miles. Car is "all original except for one paint 15 years ago." Has title. See pics. Let me know what you think it's worth. THANKS !
More pics
Old February 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM

More pics
the last of them
Old February 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
car guy

Is that rust on the last pick of the deck lid? I would look over it with a fine tooth comb with a good flashlight. That 1 paint job could have been a scuff and shoot of an already nice body or it could have been a way to fill it up with bondo and hide some nasty stuff.

The only thing I really see in the pics is the truck floor is really pitted and might need replaced and it looks like rust bubbling up on the deck lid. You can also see the front bumper is tweaked.

Depending on how nice the car really is I would say $4500-$7500
Old February 1st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Registered Luser

I agree with Richard...trunk floor and decklid are obvious issues. Interior looks nice as does the rest of the body. Car is not far from me also....
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

The water stain at the base of the sail panel in the photo of the back seat tells me that the car has pinchweld rust. Don't believe the seller if he simply claims that the back window needs to be resealed.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=gearheads78;365971]Is that rust on the last pick of the deck lid?

Sure is.

The only thing I really see in the pics is the truck floor is really pitted and might need replaced and it looks like rust bubbling up on the deck lid.

Autobody really isn't my forte'. What am I looking at $ wise to fix the trunk?

Thank you for responding.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
I agree with Richard...trunk floor and decklid are obvious issues. Interior looks nice as does the rest of the body. Car is not far from me also....
Don't you go and steal her on me.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The water stain at the base of the sail panel in the photo of the back seat tells me that the car has pinchweld rust. Don't believe the seller if he simply claims that the back window needs to be resealed.
Good advise ! Thanks for the heads up.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:17 PM

Maybe the cowl tag will shed any light on things
Attached Images
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:20 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Take a magnet to the bottom of the fenders and rear quarters to check for bondo.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Registered Luser

Don't you go and steal her on me.
Funny you say that, but I was tempted a few days ago when it popped up...I already have one though....
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
delete

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/2814353052.html

Here is a comp not far from you.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Funny you say that, but I was tempted a few days ago when it popped up...I already have one though....
So do I. One is good...two is better : )

Thanks for the advise IshIsh
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
She's a beauty. Just a little more than what I can afford to spend. Thanks for response.
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:56 PM
GM Enthusiast

x3 with Richard's comments. As long as it is not full of bondo.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:10 PM

No more than $5K, 2bbl air cleaner? Not highly optioned.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks for your insights. Much appreciated. I'm going tomorrow to look it over and possibly buy it.

One last question: 1972 Cutlass Supreme Hardtops only came with the convertable type "squared off" quarters as opposed to the rounded, Holiday type quarters correct?

I ask this because his two adds are conflicting. The EBay add says 1972 Cutlass S, the Craig's List add says 1972 Cutlass Supreme. I couldn't get the VIN # but, I'm attaching a picture of the cowl tag. Will that tell me/us what it is?

Thank you again for all your help.
Attached Images
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:39 PM

-

Yes, the Supreme coupe is also known as 'notchback' b/c the rear window meets the trunk area at a sharper angle, as opposed to the S model with a more fastback style...442 hardtops and S hardtops have the same body styling while Supremes, Supreme convertibles and 442 convertibles share the same quarter panel styling...

check that... am not completely sure that Supremes and Supreme convertibles share the same quarter panel shape 100%...that's a question for Joe P.

but what you have there is a Cutlass S...lots of people get mixed up and believe S is just an abbreviation for Supreme, but it is not. S is a separate model.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM

Thank you VikingBlue
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
check that... am not completely sure that Supremes and Supreme convertibles share the same quarter panel shape 100%...that's a question for Joe P.
The quarters are the same shape across the board for 70-72 Supremes. If you want to get technical, there are slight differences at the decklid corners and of course the hardtop quarters have a sail panel for the roof.

Terry
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
Always room for one more

And don't forget the Supreme 4doors have the rounded quarters, but are hardtops and have a hard edge on the back of the back door window.

Wonder what the 4door would look like with the squared off quarters.

Mike
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I ask this because his two adds are conflicting. The EBay add says 1972 Cutlass S, the Craig's List add says 1972 Cutlass Supreme. I couldn't get the VIN # but, I'm attaching a picture of the cowl tag. Will that tell me/us what it is?

Thank you again for all your help.
Ok the cowl says it's a fastback Cutlass S. NOT a Supreme. Most sellers who don't know Oldsmobile very often thing S means its a Supreme. Not so, its the Cutlass "Sport". Other info on the tag shows that it has the correct bench seat (A52) and the color is right (75-Matador Red) with (A) white vinyl roof.

The VIN on this car (when you look at it) should be 3G87K2Z008739. It should also have this info on the d.s. blue door sticker if it's still there. If you buy the car, there's also a very good chance you'll find a build sheet. Most of the Freemont cars ( and this one is because the cowl says Z ) people find the build sheets.

Looks nice but has limited options that I can see.
+ remote d.s. chrome mirror
AC
bumperettes
Tinted glass (extra cost even with AC)

It's missing the Cutlass emblem on both front fenders, although it looks like the fender piercings are there. The emblems would be installed with speed nuts from behind - that means taking off the inner liner to do it right.

As already noted there are rust issues. Good news is you can get a repop trunk deck and drop downs. From what I can see the inside of the trunk was also resprayed. That white color was not factory. Maybe someone trying to spray a rust inhibitor and cover it up.

I have one of these cars. Also look for rust or bubbling by the front cowl stainless trim, and under the vinyl roof - especially where it comes down the sail panel. You will feel it as bumps under the vinyl. You might also unfortunately cave in some of the roof if it's rusted badly underneath. Run your fingers up onto the inside edge of the wheel openings - that's where the rust usually starts. If there's tons of crud up there it usually means there's also ??? on the frame and understructures. Take along a throw so you can get under the car and inspect it.

One other area of concern is the battery tray/rad support. Look for lots of corrosion under the battery tray. That's a really bad spot for corrosion.

The engine compt looks good for a car that's 40 years old. I'd definitely ask about any mtce records.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
And don't forget the Supreme 4doors have the rounded quarters, but are hardtops and have a hard edge on the back of the back door window.
Wonder what the 4door would look like with the squared off quarters.
Mike
I would also square off the roof line too. I think it would prolly look a lot like the 66/67 Supreme sedan? They looked very 'elegant'
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:38 PM

Thanks Allan. You've been very helpful AS USUAL.
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Did you go see it? How was it?
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:45 PM

He sold it before I could get there. Said someone offered $5,000 so he took it. Can't blame him I quess. He tried holding it for me, but it was impossible to get there this past weekend (family commitments). Kinda bummed about it.
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

There will be another one. 2 rules in life:
1. Don't sweat the small stuff.....
2. It's all small stuff
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM

I learned a valuable lesson some months ago...

2 years ago I sold my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins Laramie. This truck was lifted with 35" tires, TV, you name it, it had it. I saw it in Craigs List a few months ago. So I called the seller (the guy that bought it from me) and he was signing the papers with the new owner as we spoke. I was bummed.

After thinking about it, I called the seller and he gave me the new owners information. I called and offered $2K more than what he paid for it. Needless to say, when I went to look at the truck I was awestruck that it looked exactly as I had sold it. But when I got close to look at it I realized that it had been ragged out, driven through high water, and had lousy stereo work done. Tail lights were full of water, paint was gone on door entry way...a lot of problems.

I didn't even make an offer, and I realized then that things happen for a reason.
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
There will be another one. 2 rules in life:
1. Don't sweat the small stuff.....
2. It's all small stuff
So true. Life in your 40's is all about the kids games on Saturday and dinner at Mom's on Sunday. These weekly activities are WAY more important than an opportunity to own a 40 year old classic piece of American automobile heritage at a very reasonable price......right?
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:51 AM
delete

I personnaly wouldn't buy that the guy was offered $5K. More likely he was worried you wouldn't come thru amd took cash in hand. Time stands still for no man.
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM

You are probably right.
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

So true. Life in your 40's is all about the kids games on Saturday and dinner at Mom's on Sunday. These weekly activities are WAY more important than an opportunity to own a 40 year old classic piece of American automobile heritage at a very reasonable price......right?
Uh!..............ya ya ,ok,I mean yes...
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Been there done that. I wouldn't trade the time I spent with my son going to soccer, swimming, picnics, reunions, visiting relatives etc for anything. That's a special time you will NEVER get back. Didn't even get the car out of the garage some years - that's how involved it gets. Maybe I'm wierd, but family to me is more important than ANY car. Cars are projects. Family is ...... FAMILY!!! For me it's no contest. So to answer your question, the answer is >>RIGHT!!!<<< Even if you might have intended it rhetorically.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Been there done that. I wouldn't trade the time I spent with my son going to soccer, swimming, picnics, reunions, visiting relatives etc for anything. That's a special time you will NEVER get back. Didn't even get the car out of the garage some years - that's how involved it gets. Maybe I'm wierd, but family to me is more important than ANY car. Cars are projects. Family is ...... FAMILY!!! For me it's no contest. So to answer your question, the answer is >>RIGHT!!!<<< Even if you might have intended it rhetorically.
There was a bit of sarcasm in my response, no doubt about it. I wouldn't and didn't miss those activities for any reason. Family always comes first. If it doesn't then a man shouldn't get married or have children IMO.

Am I disappointed that "the deal" was lost? Sure. I don't regret it for a minute.....maybe just for one second.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

There was a bit of sarcasm in my response, no doubt about it. I wouldn't and didn't miss those activities for any reason. Family always comes first. If it doesn't then a man shouldn't get married or have children IMO.

Am I disappointed that "the deal" was lost? Sure. I don't regret it for a minute.....maybe just for one second.
Sounds like a good attitude to life in general. Know what you want, what you need and what you can do.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Looks like this guy thinks he can get more for the car? Its now relisted at $6500 on C/L.

@Blackpage - This may not be a guy you want to buy from? Something is off...
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/2842469844.html
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Looks like this guy thinks he can get more for the car? Its now relisted at $6500 on C/L. @Blackpage - This may not be a guy you want to buy from? Something is off...
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/2842469844.html
You betcha! All of a sudden it is rust free, and it has dropped 9K in miles.
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:28 PM

Interesting. Very very interesting.
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Same pictures, only less of them. Is the phone number different from the one you used to contact him in the first place?? If it's the same you know the guys just a scammer.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed on 72 Cutlass