replacing convertible top

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM

replacing convertible top

I have been given my step mother's 71 cutlass supreme convertible. It is not in running condition and I will be slowly restoring it over the next few years. First thing I have to get done is put a new top on and replace all of the seals so the car is water tight and then I can begin to clean and restore the inside of the car. Has anyone replaced a convertible top on thier own? Should I try this? Where should I buy it from? What about the seals for the windows and top. I've seen some complete seal kits out there. Is that the best way to go? I can't wait to get started on the car. I'll get a picture or two up soon. Thanks for any advice, I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more.
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM

I replaced the top on my 1967 Olds 98. I am considered to be a VERY good mechanic, but this is not a mechanical sort of repair. It took me and a friend of mine 20 hours to do this job, and we had all the right tools.

This is a job best left to a professional. The amount of skill needed to do one of these right is hard to describe; let's just say you get better each time you do one.

They are not cheap, but if you do not do it right the first time there is no taking it off and doing it over again. Not unless you start with a new top, that is.

This is a car worth saving and the top is worth doing right. You can save money on other repairs by doing them yourself, but I would have a pro replace your top.
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM

I replaced all the weather stripping around the convertable top and doors last year. It was time consuming but not a bad job and very doable. All of the weather stripping around the top screws on so that isn't bad at all, except in the front over the wind shield. That piece has nylon push in fastners that push into existing holes. That piece also is sealed down using some weather strip adhesive.

As far as the top installation, mine is ok now but the more I look at mine and try to imagine replacing it some day the more I think a professional shop would be getting that job. The Fisher body manual details the installation but it looks very complex.
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM

As mentioned already, I would let a top / upholstery shop handle the top for you. If you buy the top of your choice and the top weatherstrip, have a shop put them on for you.
Getting these on right the first time by someone who has not done it before will be tough. Getting it all on, working right, and sealing correctly will be even tougher.
Be sure to get a good quality top and w/s set. The 71 used a glass window also.
While I kept thinking my top was done right, it was not. It does not go down all the way...
Sometimes even a shop has trouble, especially with an old car that the replacer may never have seen before...
Too many variables for the DIYer...
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:45 AM

While we're on the subject.

Why are there 2 holes but only one pin where the top fits into the front windshield frame.
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM

Smile Excess inventory

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
While we're on the subject.

Why are there 2 holes but only one pin where the top fits into the front windshield frame.
You gotta have two holes, cuz if you lose one you have a spare...
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I feel either it was a cost reduction strategy or they were running out of pins on the assembly lines...
Very odd indeed.
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM

I've had mine off before to replace Glass. It's a b*tch but doable. Also a new top with glass cost $300. To have someone install it is $1000 or more. A top only last what, 7-10 years if it sees the light of day or goes up and down. I figure if I do a bad job the first time and it only last 2-3 years, at that rate I'm still coming out even and learning along the way.
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:47 PM

I only have 1 reccomendation for this....

A man has GOT to know his limitations!!! Oldsdroptop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1567.jpg (98.6 KB, 55 views)
DSCF1538.jpg (62.8 KB, 52 views)
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Randy C.

I'd have an upholstery shop do it all. I like to do "detail" work but putting on a top was just a bit too tedious for me! Also, my experience tells me that you should let the upholstery shop order the top they want to install - with your OK, of course. I went to the upholstery shop with my pre-ordered top and found out the highly recommended upholsterer would not install certain brands of tops (I don't recall which right now - it was almost 3 years ago). Fortunately, the top I bought was one he would install, and he did a great job with it and the weatherstrip. While the top is off, you might want to take a good look at the convertible top frame to make sure it is in good shape. The time to clean it up, if it needs it, is when the top is off. Good luck!
Randy C.
Attached Images
1968Olds442rear.jpg (45.5 KB, 39 views)
Olds68442conv1.jpg (56.0 KB, 30 views)
Old October 24th, 2020, 03:02 PM
roy341

1967 Cutlass Convertible Headliner

Is there anyone out there that can make a headliner for a 1967 convertible? I'm in Texas and the AC cannot handle the heat without a little insulation.
Old October 24th, 2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by roy34
Is there anyone out there that can make a headliner for a 1967 convertible? I'm in Texas and the AC cannot handle the heat without a little insulation.
Why don't you start a new post?
Old October 24th, 2020, 06:02 PM

if the top is somewhat intact,take it to an upholstery shop .i have done 3 a 64 gto,an 88 cavalier and my 64 starfire.they will raise your blood pressure if you do not know what your doing.might even cause sudden hair lose.
Old October 25th, 2020, 06:08 AM
Bfg

There is no headliner on a convertible!