Steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2023, 11:01 AM

Steering wheel removal

I’m also having trouble with removing my steering wheel to replace the lock cylinder mine is a 1972 cutlass, the issue I’m having is I’ve done everything I can thing of to get to the center nut but nothing has worked

Last edited by david61116; September 20th, 2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old July 17th, 2023, 01:20 PM

leave the center nut on a few threads and rock the wheel back and forth HARD, you wont hurt it, never had one that i had to use a puller

Last edited by stan 65 cutlass; August 9th, 2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old August 8th, 2023, 11:08 AM

If you don't have a puller or don't want to get one, what I use to do is loosen the nut all the way to the top, leave it on so you don't hurt the threads, and than your wrap your arm around the back and pull up. as you tap it with a hammer, also if you can get your knees and upper leg behind to give you more leverage. I did this many time when I was younger and did not have a puller
Old August 8th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you are using a puller, don't try to keep tightening the bolt in the center that is against the steering shaft. Just snug it down and then alternate tightening the two bolts screwed into the steering wheel. Go from one side to the other and the wheel will pop off.
Old August 8th, 2023, 07:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Since your car is a Cutlass, I moved these posts to the Cutlass forum rather than resurrecting a thread in the Ninety Eight forum that is nearly a decade old.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
If you are using a puller, don't try to keep tightening the bolt in the center that is against the steering shaft. Just snug it down and then alternate tightening the two bolts screwed into the steering wheel. Go from one side to the other and the wheel will pop off.
Why would you do that? The whole point of the puller is that you snug up the two smaller bolts then turn the larger one in the center to pop the wheel off. Otherwise there would be no need for the center bolt. The two small bolts should be threaded all the way into the steering wheel hub for maximum thread engagement.
Old August 8th, 2023, 08:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You never miss a chance to try and take a shot do you? You are WRONG on this one. I do that way because it has worked for me for probably at least 30 years. I read to do it that way either in a manual or instructions that came with a steering wheel puller. It is really simple. Start the two small bolts into the steering wheel but do not bottom them out. Then snug the center bolt down against the shaft. Then alternate side to side tightening the small bolts and the wheel will pop right off.
Old August 8th, 2023, 08:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
You never miss a chance to try and take a shot do you? You are WRONG on this one. I do that way because it has worked for me for probably at least 30 years. I read to do it that way either in a manual or instructions that came with a steering wheel puller. It is really simple. Start the two small bolts into the steering wheel but do not bottom them out. Then snug the center bolt down against the shaft. Then alternate side to side tightening the small bolts and the wheel will pop right off.
And the rest of the world uses the center screw as the designers intended. Look, this isn't an affront to your manhood, just a question. If it works for you, great, but it's turning twice as many screws as you need. In any case, less than full thread engagement with the two smaller screws runs the risk of stripping the threads.
Old August 8th, 2023, 09:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I guess you checked the rest of the world and I am the only one doing it this way. At 77 years old I am not worried about any threats to my manhood.
Old August 9th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I went to utube and looked for steering wheel removal instructions. Most did it your way Joe but I found one other person that did it my way.

My way:

Your way: