Things to look out for

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 09:16 PM

Things to look out for

Well im intrested in a 1972 cutlass supreme, the add says its a numbers matching car (ill confirm that however when I go to see it) its is a 350, floor shifter and 4bbl carb and dual exhaust (does this mean its a 442, or will it have the 442 badges on it, becuase it not stated) anyway is there anything in particular that I should be looking for when I see the car, for example are there any problem rust areas with these cars? How should the car feel under heavy acceleration, any noises I should watch out for, other then the obvious? And any other general probelm areas.

Thanks.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Bird,

I have a '71 Cutlass convertible. All 70-72 Cutlass Supremes had a 4 BBL. Not all were floor shift or duals. Not a 442 unless they state so. FWIW, the 442 was an option in 72, not a seperate model, so there is no way to confirm one really is a 442 without the build sheet. Believe me, there are a LOT more 72 442's out there than ever left the factory, if you know what I mean.

You didn't say where the car is (Rust Belt or Arizona?) but a lot of things are the same for everywhere. Watch for rust around the front and rear fender lips (especially the passenger side), front fender just behind the wheel, the sill under the doors, and the area around the bottom of the rear window trim. Honestly, the hardest thing to find or these cars is good front fenders.

Look at the speedometer. If it has the "PRNDSL" on it, it's either not the original speedo or it wasn't originally a floor shift car.

Good luck!
C.J.
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM

the car is located in Canada, which is rust belt, the floor needs some work though, I did not yet see the car though so I cannot asses the damage to it, hopefully its not too bad.

btw: what do you think these cars will do in quater mile pass?