Vintage Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Vintage Air Conditioning

Good news: VintageAir in San Antonio is developing custom fit AC systems for the '68-'72 Cutlasses. I think the '70-'72 kits are available now for factory AC cars.
Better news: They are using my car to test/document the installion on a '69. Getting the complete install for significantly less than the cost of the kit alone.
Bad news: May take up to 60 days to complete, but they think faster since most other models already done. Could cut into some of the best Spring convertible weather around here but Summer will be MUCH more tolerable.

Dropped mine off today. They still need a '68 factory AC car and a '71-72 non-AC car to finish out the Cutlass lineup. PM me if you have one of these near San Antonio and are interested in the deal. No affiliation but I'll give you the contact info.
Old February 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM

I bought a cross flow condensor (designed to work with 134A), rebuilt and calibrated for 134A POA valve, and my factory system blows air below 30 degrees in south Florida. Classic Auto Air sells all the parts, and my factory systems works great!
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:08 AM

I was looking to find out if vintage air was avaliable. Keep us updated on how it is going. Take some pictures of when done. And any info you can get. My 71 didn't come with air and every other convertible did. So air and power windows are part of the plans when I start collecting part for the rebuild.
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:37 AM

Hookem, you lucked out. I installed Vintage Air in my 68 corvette a few years ago. Great product and great people to work with.
When it came to my 72 442 my first choice was going to be VA, but no kit :-(
Anyway, I went with Classic Auto Air universal kit that was cable operated. I figured it would be easier to modify a cable operated kit for a custom installation. It went in easily and works great too.
I looked at the option of working at adding onto the existing system, but the only parts still there were the dash controls and heater core/evaportator. And there was no way to tell their condition. So with aftermarket, eveything is new and I got rid of that HUGE AC/heat unit in the engine compartment.
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:42 AM
delete

I am interested how this progresses. Keep us updated.
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:08 AM

There's an Olds build over at pro-touring.com in the project update section with the VA kit. Although it's so new VA did the dash control at their site. Guessing everyone wont get that treatment.
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...he-average-Joe
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:29 PM

I also would like to be updated on their kit. Cost?
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Red face

I'll post progress when possible. Controls are electronic with 3 sliders (fan speed, temp, vent position) and a blue led when the compressor is on. They finish it to look similar to factory controls, kinda like the retro-sound radios that look period correct but not really original. The system is not for all-original type restorations but I like the idea of modern AC and a clean firewall for a driver. All you see under the hood is a compressor not much bigger than a beer can. Hoses run forward to the condenser and then behind the fender to the evap/blower behind the dash. Might lose some glove box space, but I can put my gloves in the console.

My car had factory AC, but for non-AC cars they have to fab an alternator bracket for the driver's side since there are no repops out there. You might hunt for a used one off an AC car if considering their system.
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:57 AM

That is good to know about the Alt. bracket. would that bracket be from any olds 350 from any car???
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:58 AM

ziff396 - VintageAir website shows complete model-specific kits for a variety of cars are all around $1300, so I guess the Cutlass kit will be the same.
Econow - I'm no expert at parts interchangability, but I would think any Olds 350 up through the mid-'70's when they changed the block. Pretty sure VA will include a custom alternator bracket for non-AC cars but I'm guessing a factory one will look and fit better. Just thought you may also need the pulleys off the AC car.
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:02 AM

Pretty much all the VA kits include a new Sanden compressor. It's a lot smaller and about 20 lbs lighter than the big Olds compressor. Guessing they'll supply a new Olds specific bracket for the Sanden.
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
ziff396 - VintageAir website shows complete model-specific kits for a variety of cars are all around $1300, so I guess the Cutlass kit will be the same.
Econow - I'm no expert at parts interchangability, but I would think any Olds 350 up through the mid-'70's when they changed the block. Pretty sure VA will include a custom alternator bracket for non-AC cars but I'm guessing a factory one will look and fit better. Just thought you may also need the pulleys off the AC car.
Thats good news. A couple of years ago when I called them they did not have the brackets for the 455. Only Classic air had the compressor bracket. Anyways, My car has a smoothed firewall and no heat at this time. I did pick up 2 different sets of AC alternator brackets in the hope someday I can afford the aftermarket system. I just am hoping the tax man does me well this year.
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Just got off the phone with VA...the complete kit for '70-'72 AC cars is $1300. I have the sanden compressor and bracket already so the kit would cost me $1100...I think I finally have a designated tax return project! $1100 is cheap for what you get, and it's all electric, doesn't have vacuum controls anymore! Awesome!

http://www.vintageair.com/7072olds.asp
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:32 PM

Hello everyone. New member here. Just bought a 72 Cutlass(my 1st classic) and it originally had AC, but when the engine was swapped over to a 383 stroker, the AC went away. If anyone can tell me what is the best possible solution to get AC back in my car, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM
delete

Originally Posted by Jpbrad0711
Hello everyone. New member here. Just bought a 72 Cutlass(my 1st classic) and it originally had AC, but when the engine was swapped over to a 383 stroker, the AC went away. If anyone can tell me what is the best possible solution to get AC back in my car, I would greatly appreciate it.
Go junkyard hopping looking for a stock sb chevy set up you can slap on.
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM

Cool car....

Just got my car back from VA. They took the high end of their time estimate then my work schedule and the weather did not cooperate. Anyway, it's in and works great. Control panel looks good but kinda wish the original controls would have worked. Evap/blower unit is a little visible in the passenger footwell but the glove box insert is bigger than I expected. Under the hood, the Sanden compressor installed cleanly where the factory one went using their custom bracket (non-a/c cars will be on the driver side). Condenser and drier hide in front of the radiator, hoses and wires route behind the fender and they have a plate for the hole left by the old evap. Not original but very clean. Did not get a thermometer out, but the air is COLD! Only downside is I now realize just how bad my top fits and how bad the seals are. Never really paid much attention since I usually had the top down and/or windows open before. Have the new seals on the shelf, time to get busy. Overall very happy and impressed with VA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ac controls.jpg (48.7 KB, 538 views)
compressor.jpg (73.8 KB, 534 views)
firewall.jpg (46.2 KB, 526 views)
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:13 AM

So what are you using for heat? Do not see heater hoses running inside...
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:14 AM

Heater hoses go across the compressor and then behind the inner fender along with the freon lines. All hoses & wires enter the cabin through the vent door istead of going straight through the firewall. The evap and heater core unit is mounted behind the dash and they provide a slightly smaller glovebox liner to accomodate. I'll try to get a pic from the passenger footwell.
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM

I would be interested to see how they run the lines on a non ac car from the drivers side. Also, I have a large stand alone trans cooler in front of my aluminum radiator. I do have alternator brackets for both sides though.
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:03 AM

Sweet did they use the GenIV system for starters? I bet there can be to many modifications to put your unit on a 64-67..
http://s119.beta.photobucket.com/use...ml?sort=3&o=26
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:17 PM

Yes, GenIV with electronic controls. The kit includes the brackets, ducts, etc. for a specific model. Also the control panel is finished to look similar to stock. Black for 68-69 and brushed aluminum for 70-72. Give them a call to get what you need even if a full kit is not available for 64-67 or other models.
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:30 AM

What did you use for a compressor bracket?
Old June 4th, 2014, 01:31 AM

Looks good
Old June 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM

Interesting set-up. Does the system use the existing stock ventilation vents, and does it also work with the defroster to keep the windshield clear if you happen to caught in inclement weather?
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:44 PM

Yes, stock vents are the only things that are not new. Just wish the stock 68/69 center vent allowed side to side adjustment, not just up/down. Compressor does work with defrost, and you can mix output between floor and defrost ducts. You control it with a slider with all airflow to dash vents when set to the far left, floor vents in the center position and defrost ducts on right allowing you to mix anything in between. There are two other sliders for fan speed and temp control.
Old June 17th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Yes, stock vents are the only things that are not new. Just wish the stock 68/69 center vent allowed side to side adjustment, not just up/down. Compressor does work with defrost, and you can mix output between floor and defrost ducts. You control it with a slider with all airflow to dash vents when set to the far left, floor vents in the center position and defrost ducts on right allowing you to mix anything in between. There are two other sliders for fan speed and temp control.

Very interesting. Good to hear that the defroster works with the A/C, unlike the older add-on A/C units, that left you still wiping the windshield with a cloth on those muggy & humid days, even when the A/C was on.
Old January 29th, 2015, 08:50 AM

Hookem, was your car a non-Ac car? Can you post a better pic of your belt/pulley configuration.

Thanks
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:56 AM

Mine was an AC car, so the compressor went in the same spot as the stock unit using VA provided brackets and the belt was run off the stock 3 groove pulleys.
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:07 AM

If you know anybody that needs help installing an AC system in a 64-65 F-85, I'm almost 3/4 of the way through the installation. Have them look up my thread under major projects or PM me. I would be glad to share the experience its been fun but not easy, there's no plug and play kit available
Attached Images
IMG_2926.JPG (80.0 KB, 231 views)
IMG_2944.JPG (63.1 KB, 194 views)
Old May 30th, 2015, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the link. I have a non-ac 70 and have a full set of AC type brackets so that part is easy. Would like to see the under hood and dash part of that set up.

Thanks guys
Larry
Old May 30th, 2015, 09:02 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Thanks for the link. I have a non-ac 70 and have a full set of AC type brackets so that part is easy. Would like to see the under hood and dash part of that set up.

Thanks guys
Larry
Larry, the only stock bracket you would need is an A/C alternator bracket. The brackets for the compressor come with the kit.

You are talking about putting the compressor on the passenger side right?
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:19 AM

Yes in the stock position. I would like to see pictures of inside at the vents. What does the AV center vent look like for cars that like mine are 70-72 with no AC? Does the AV supplied vent move up and down and side to side? We are going to start the major build on this car in a few months as soon as we are done with my gals 67. Anyone put one of these set ups in a 67? I know they don't make an exact unit like the 68-72 units but should be able to get it close with some factory ac parts like vents and their system. Anyone done it?

Thanks
Larry
Old June 1st, 2015, 12:55 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Good, I would highly recommend putting the compressor in the stock (passenger side) location. There is a member on here that installed one on the drivers side, and although he did a nice job, I don't think he was happy with the install when he was done.

As far as the center vent and the other vents, the VA unit uses the stock vents. So you would have to get a stock center register and turndown ductwork piece. The VA ductwork attaches to that. You could use the side heat vents but the A/C vents move up down and side to side. You would also need a lower valance vent piece for the lower vents. If you don't have these pieces, I know oldspackrat has all these pieces, at fair prices too.
Old June 7th, 2015, 03:40 PM

Maybe 64-67 would be a closer fit, 68 up was a big change. Here are a few more pictures. Mine was a non-AC base F-85 post car. I plumbed all the routing duct work, wiring, fabbing brackets for the evaporator etc. Took the 64-heater box and fabbed a plate to run the lines through, and to hide the coolant and pressure lines behind the fender well. etc. Few ideas for you
Attached Images
IMG_3116.JPG (65.3 KB, 190 views)
IMG_3113.JPG (69.0 KB, 206 views)
IMG_3128.JPG (68.1 KB, 185 views)
IMG_3189.JPG (64.9 KB, 182 views)
IMG_2984.JPG (48.5 KB, 195 views)
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
Maybe 64-67 would be a closer fit, 68 up was a big change. Here are a few more pictures. Mine was a non-AC base F-85 post car. I plumbed all the routing duct work, wiring, fabbing brackets for the evaporator etc. Took the 64-heater box and fabbed a plate to run the lines through, and to hide the coolant and pressure lines behind the fender well. etc. Few ideas for you
They don't make a 66-67 kit. I used the 67 Chevelle evaporator box and controls kit and the 68 Olds underhood kit on my conversion. Universal hose kit and 68 condenser/drier kit. That required rework for mounting as well. I did a pretty involved post here and there are pic linked in my sig line.

Tim
Old September 11th, 2022, 06:59 PM
1972 olds 442, E455, T400

Originally Posted by dfire25
Good, I would highly recommend putting the compressor in the stock (passenger side) location. There is a member on here that installed one on the drivers side, and although he did a nice job, I don't think he was happy with the install when he was done.

As far as the center vent and the other vents, the VA unit uses the stock vents. So you would have to get a stock center register and turndown ductwork piece. The VA ductwork attaches to that. You could use the side heat vents but the A/C vents move up down and side to side. You would also need a lower valance vent piece for the lower vents. If you don't have these pieces, I know oldspackrat has all these pieces, at fair prices too.
I'm working on swapping mine to passenger side. My alternator was already on passenger side which now I know is wrong since battery is on driver side and ac lines come in from passenger. Alot less lines to run. My ac fitting is at 12 o'clock and is hitting inside of hood. Vintage air told me to clock the compressor but how? There's no more adjustment left in bracket. Have no choice but to swap em and see if that works better.

Old February 12th, 2023, 09:37 AM

Old Thread, new customer

Wanting to upgrade my 69 Vert AC system. Anybody doing this with GREAT results? Other kits? Thanks
Old February 12th, 2023, 10:24 AM

drivers side and passenger dash vents for 70 Olds Cutlass

Having a tough time finding these. Checked many places. Anyone have these for sale?

Last edited by LuxMuscle; February 12th, 2023 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 12th, 2023, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by LuxMuscle
Having a tough time finding these. Checked many places. Anyone have these for sale?
Check with Scott Winn on Facebook

You can also post in the Parts Wanted section on here.
Old February 13th, 2023, 06:23 AM

Let me reword this. Is anybody using/installing the Vintage Air kit? Thanks

Quick Reply: Vintage Air Conditioning