What is this and where does it plug into?

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2008, 11:25 PM

What is this and where does it plug into?

I have a few ports that have been either capped off or just not being used. I have a Chassis Service Manual, but I just can't seem to it figure out.

1. On the Thermostatic vacuum switch you can see two of the hoses blocked off in the picture below. It looks like one of the hoses should plug into the carb and the other one into the mani. Is this correct? When I bought the car they were blocked off and the guy I got it from didn't know why.

2. I need a new wiring harness for my coil. I found one on summit, but it will not be delivered until Sep. 3rd and the delivery is about as much and the product. I need to get the car ready to have it shipped back to the states by the end of Aug.

3. I don't know what this is and I can't find it in my manual.

4. I think this has something to do the A/C but not sure. Again where should the other end of the hose go?

Thanks for you help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG33_0686.jpg (86.6 KB, 83 views)
IMG44_0689.jpg (78.7 KB, 70 views)
IMG11_0687.jpg (82.3 KB, 67 views)
IMG22_0691.jpg (77.4 KB, 60 views)
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:43 AM

the third picture is of your vaccum canister set up for your heater. the first picture i suspect relates to the third picture. there is a hose that comes off the intake manifold, which looks like it might be part of picture one and plugs into the vaccum canister which is picture three. then there is a hose that runs from the vaccum canister and goes through the firewall and goes to your heater control in the dash. at least that is the way its set up on my 65 olds dynamic 88. I cant tell from the pictures what year and model you have. when i get my manual back i can take a detailed picture of it and send it to you if yours is in the same year,model as mine. they pretty much were set up the same way. im not sure on the other two pictures. chris
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:04 AM

Thanks for the info Chris.
I forgot to put the year. It is a 69 cutlass.
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Just the facts...

first pic is the thermostatic vacuum switch. center port goes to the distributor vacuum advance can. top hose goes to manifold vacuum the bottom hose goes to carburetor ported vacuum(driver's side front). the connections on the tvs should be marked. "m"=manifold vacuum, "d"=distributor, and "c" or "p"=carburetor ported vacuum.

second pic-i can't really tell what i'm looking at other than possibly ignition coil wiring. i don't see any unconnected terminals. if there are 2 terminals, they go to the "+" side of the ignition coil. the single wire from the distributor is connected to the "-" terminal on the coil. the coil is marked.

the third and fourth pic are inter-related. as stated, the larger port on the vacuum reservoir gets connected to intake manifold vacuum and the smaller port gets connected to the open line in pic 4.

bill
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Bill has it nailed on the thermostatic vac switch. This was used to apply full manifold vacuum to the vac advance if the engine started to overheat.

The item in pic 3 is a vacuum reservoir. It simply stores vacuum to operate the A/C flapper doors. Without the reservoir, the A/C doors would close if you stepped on the throttle and manifold vacuum dropped. There should be a check valve in the line that goes to the manifold.

If pic 4 is pointing to the vac operated valve, that is the heater control valve. Again, this is A/C related. It is supposed to shut off the flow of hot coolant to the heater core when the A/C was switched to MAX. It appears that all of your A/C vac hoses are disconnected and/or missing.
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Just the facts...

the check valve is integral to the vacuum reservoir in pic 3. there is no external check valve.

bill
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:28 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I will make the changes A.S.A.P. Bill in pic two I was asking if anyone knew a good place to get new wires for that connect to the coil. If you look closely I have electrical tape on the wires because they were burned in the fire. I did find wires on the Summit site, but the shipping cost is the same price for the wires. Thanks again