1962 Dynamic 88 Vacuum/Fuel Line Help

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2015, 04:52 PM

Dave, you from Milwaukee-Kenosha area? My 62 came out of climate controlled storage in lake Geneva. The previous owner was John Shonts from Appleton. I'm from that area too with a lot of family history.
Old September 19th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
Dave, you from Milwaukee-Kenosha area? My 62 came out of climate controlled storage in lake Geneva. The previous owner was John Shonts from Appleton. I'm from that area too with a lot of family history.
Milw is where I have hang my hat for the last 15 years. Before that a long time OH (Cincinnati) resident, and before that IN (Gary/Indianapolis/Ft. Wayne).
Old September 19th, 2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by tlowc34
I also tried contacting David Yaros, he has a restored 62 and an old website (doesn't look to have been updated for 7 years, but his Facebook picture (Yes I tried to add him as a friend) show his 62 in the background. I was/am hoping he had it figured out! Still no response though.
So, did you get my email(s) and pics; sent on 18 Sep?
Old September 19th, 2015, 09:43 AM

I got involved in the vacuum line questions on another post from TheRobski and have followed this one because I have also had (and continue to have) similar problems with my 63. This post has been educational for me also in pointing out the vast number of differences between a 62 and 63 car! Due to the complexity of the vacuum systems on all these cars everyone seems to run into trouble at some point. I would suggest making this post into a sticky and if there is a similar post on the 63-64 cars doing the same with that.
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:30 PM

Dave Got the pictures and figured it all out, thanks a bunch. My problem is: this car doesn't have the correct fuel filter cover. Shows part number AC Delco 5850381 it only has 2 outlets. I need to find the correct cover. Figured out all the rest from the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3384.JPG (47.8 KB, 32 views)
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
Dave Got the pictures and figured it all out, thanks a bunch.
I am glad the pics were of help to you. Glad it worked out for someone.

I thought Todd L was the one with the problems and who I was helping. As you know, I sent him the same info/pics. I do not even know if he rec'd it all, as have had no word?
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:42 PM

I posted in the parts wanted section-needing the correct 59-62 fuel filter bowl. Do you know if their a cross reference chart where maybe Pontiac-Buick may have used the same part? I ran a new line from the fuel pump through the firewall and connected up under the dash and discovered some of those other vacuum lines are just hanging there not connected-crazy-will have to figure out where they go.
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:16 AM

The numbers I have for the 1962 2 bbl fuel filter assy are Group 3.890, Part 854566.

I am not aware of any cross-ref source. At the same time I would not be at all surprised to learn that other GM lines used this same part. You may want to check out Chevrolet and Pontiac parts suppliers. You might also try Fusicks and Desert Valley Auto Parts.

As for the under dash vacuum hoses, good luck with that! I am not aware of any vacuum routing diagram. Purely speculating, I would suspect to find that the vacuum hose from the engine compartment goes to a junction block of some type to feed the system. The other vacuum ports/hoses on a junction block would go the the various Heat/Ventilation components being operated; such as the air vents in the kickpanels and the heater control valve. Take a look at the buttons on your Heater & (Summer) Ventilation panels.
Old September 20th, 2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
The numbers I have for the 1962 2 bbl fuel filter assy are Group 3.890, Part 854566.

I am not aware of any cross-ref source. At the same time I would not be at all surprised to learn that other GM lines used this same part. You may want to check out Chevrolet and Pontiac parts suppliers. You might also try Fusicks and Desert Valley Auto Parts.
I take the "not aware" statement back. The part might be listed in a Hollander Interchange manual? - hollanderinterchange.net/
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:22 PM

As for the under dash vacuum hoses, good luck with that! I am not aware of any vacuum routing diagram. Purely speculating, I would suspect to find that the vacuum hose from the engine compartment goes to a junction block of some type to feed the system. The other vacuum ports/hoses on a junction block would go the the various Heat/Ventilation components being operated; such as the air vents in the kickpanels and the heater control valve. Take a look at the buttons on your Heater & (Summer) Ventilation panels.
There is no junction block, just a T fitting (is available price listed is $45) that devides the input vacuum to each respective control unit. My system is intact and works as designed. I can draw a diagram of the various line routing, I wouldn't expect much change between the 61 and 62 model years. The heating and ventilation control units look the same.
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:48 PM

Here is the 61 shop manual picture will work on it next weekend, thanks
Attached Images
vacuum lines (3).jpg (667.0 KB, 32 views)
Old September 24th, 2015, 06:31 PM

After fixing my pinched vacuum line my fuel pump started leaking oil out the vent. I just got a new aftermarket replacement pump but it doesn't have a tube for the vacuum line that goes to the instrument panel. The outlet port is there but no tube. I think it is a steel tube that is held in position by friction. I have not removed the old pump yet, maybe the tube can be removed and reused. Have not located a steel tube of the proper size. Anyone had a similar problem?
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:08 PM

Larry, I have an old friend that will contact me when he gets back to Dallas over the weekend. He has several Oldsmobile's baking away in the Texas sun, one of them is a 62 Starfire. He's going to see if the fuel filter bowl is still on the 394 for me. I will check and see if the pump is still there-maybe as a back up plan. Rebuild kits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3812804...chn=ps&lpid=82
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:39 PM

Hopefully your problem will be solved. Discovered my new fuel pump needs a steel tube to fit in a hole that excepts a #29 drill. I have not found the correct size tube yet. Thinking the manufacturer of the pump couldn't either. Next week is the Hershey auto show, only about a 1/2 hour drive. PM me.
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:51 PM

Can you remove the old one? Apparently they are removable because your new pump has a "cover" over where the tube should go? I will get on this Friday and over the weekend.
Old September 30th, 2015, 12:42 PM

TODD, I have sent you 2 emails with a bunch of pics. Study the mails/pics and we'll go from there.

You may post pics here if you wish for others to review, but there are a lot of them.
Hard to believe/understand why there has never been a response from tlowc34 to my emails and post?
Old September 30th, 2015, 03:14 PM

Hope hes okay? The pictures got me me fixed! Thanks again.
Old October 8th, 2015, 06:03 AM

Went to the Hershey Auto Show, I was disappointed. Car parts; Chevy, Ford and Chrysler were the most represented. Toys; there were more old toys than anything else. Oldsmobile parts, what Oldsmobile parts? Came home and ordered my fuel pump rebuild kit on line. The AC fuel bowl assembly part number #854566 is correct for 1959 through 62 Oldsmobiles. Search shows one available. I probably will never go to the Hershey car flea market again.
Old October 8th, 2015, 09:15 AM

I saw one that was sold on E-Bay but cannot locate another one.
Old October 9th, 2015, 09:29 AM

Try this place for fuel pump kits and parts. They will also rebuild your pump for a reasonable charge.

http://then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/
Old October 21st, 2015, 11:17 AM

Got the kit now all I need is time to accomplish rebuild. Hopefully will start next week. I have the manual and the kit came with directions. See how it goes.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:44 AM

When you get to it, do provide a follow-up report on how the rebuild went.
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:05 PM

When you get to it, do provide a follow-up report on how the rebuild went.
I will with pictures. I set the engine for pumps' removal. The distributor has to point towards the cowl. So far so good.
Old November 7th, 2015, 02:01 PM

I finally have the pump disassembled. Darn thing came apart hard. Took me a week to get the fuel pump diaphragm rod detached from the actuator. Dirt and crud prevented the assembly from releasing. Now to clean and inspect. I will post pictures and my thoughts/procedures when it is finished.
Old December 28th, 2015, 02:24 PM

been reading this post , got some help from it , still need a little more on my vacuum lines , none of my heating or vents are working , the guy that owned the car before me had passed away so don't know why he disconnected the vacuum line to the heater , need help on were line come from to heater valve , and what caped tank is for ,thanks for any help. can't seem to get pic to show hervacuum pic 1a.jpge , its in my albums ,
Attached Images
vacuum pic 1a.jpg (173.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by ripper27; December 28th, 2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: add pic
Old December 28th, 2015, 03:50 PM

I'm working on mine as well, non AC car 2 barrel, so the routing is different. All my vacuum lines are hanging loose from the summer ventilation and the heater. I don't think I can re-connect them with new hose without removing them from under the dash. I know the vacuum line off the fuel pump operates the system-I have both 61 and 62 shop manuals.
Old December 29th, 2015, 06:44 AM

thanks for your feed back , I do have both manuals too , I did get some help looking at Larry's picture of his set up from master cylinder to that tank that is capped off on mine , looking thru both books didn't find any thing about that tank and what its for , have car in storage now , just trying to get as much info as I can , little to old and with my bad back can't get under dash that good , hoping to find some one that can get under there and check things out for me , the one I have marked in purple comes from fire wall ,don't know what that one is for way to small to hook up to the water valve that is capped off , after looking at fig 16-29 on page 467 I see I'm missing wires to the master off and on switch , its such a great car would like to get every thing working I can , had to rewire every thing under the hood this summer ,
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ripper27
thanks for your feed back , I do have both manuals too , I did get some help looking at Larry's picture of his set up from master cylinder to that tank that is capped off on mine , looking thru both books didn't find any thing about that tank and what its for , have car in storage now , just trying to get as much info as I can , little to old and with my bad back can't get under dash that good , hoping to find some one that can get under there and check things out for me , the one I have marked in purple comes from fire wall ,don't know what that one is for way to small to hook up to the water valve that is capped off , after looking at fig 16-29 on page 467 I see I'm missing wires to the master off and on switch , its such a great car would like to get every thing working I can , had to rewire every thing under the hood this summer ,
I looked at your picture. Your brake master cylinder isn't original, the vacuum tank is for the original power brake system (look at the green engine pictures, they show original vacuum system). The capped water valve comes from heater control under the dash (picture 40). You should have two vacuum lines coming from under the dash one goes to the heater air mixing box on the right side of the firewall, the other to the heater control valve. That line is also pictured on green engine. The vacuum line from the fuel/vacuum pump connects to a T fitting (picture 33) under the dash connecting both environmental control units. The green engine pictures are correct, vacuum line positions and the heating and summer ventilation controls work. I will have to sort the vacuum lines under my dash to give you correct line attachment positions. I will look after the holidays. I was just thinking, you should get or have access to a hand held vacuum pump. The vacuum actuators on the actuators need to be checked for operation. Replacement actuators are available if needed.

Last edited by Larry/car; December 30th, 2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I looked at your picture. Your brake master cylinder isn't original, the vacuum tank is for the original power brake system (look at the green engine pictures, they show original vacuum system). The capped water valve comes from heater control under the dash (picture 40). You should have two vacuum lines coming from under the dash one goes to the heater air mixing box on the right side of the firewall, the other to the heater control valve. That line is also pictured on green engine. The vacuum line from the fuel/vacuum pump connects to a T fitting (picture 33) under the dash connecting both environmental control units. The green engine pictures are correct, vacuum line positions and the heating and summer ventilation controls work. I will have to sort the vacuum lines under my dash to give you correct line attachment positions. I will look after the holidays. I was just thinking, you should get or have access to a hand held vacuum pump. The vacuum actuators on the actuators need to be checked for operation. Replacement actuators are available if needed.
Thanks so much Larry , talked to the guy that did my rewire ,he said he would be willing to see what he could do getting it to work , he said same as you about the actuators , just trying to get as much info before I take it to him , printed and enlarged the vacuum schematic for him , probably wait till closer to spring and take it to him when its about time to get it out of storage , do you know were you would get the actuators ,parts for this car are hard to find ,plus they want big bucks , seems every thing for this car is twice as much as other cars , glad I found this thread really help a lot , thanks for your help Dennis
( Larry I don't think you live that far from me , tried to Goggle your town looks like your up around Harrisburg would be nice come summer time take a ride up and see your car )

Last edited by ripper27; December 30th, 2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: add some text
Old December 31st, 2015, 11:24 AM

Actually live just up the PA Turnpike from Philadelphia, take Rt 72 exit towards Manheim. Goggle 1961 Oldsmobile parts, actuators are available and sell for around $160. Maybe yours are ok? It is a very over engineered system, it does work nice. My car has been in the family since new. Age is just starting to catch up with the rubber components. Currently replacing fuel lines from tank to carb. Originals are dry rotted.

Last edited by Larry/car; December 31st, 2015 at 11:26 AM.