1963 Dynamic 88 New Control Arm Bushing Issues

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2022, 09:05 AM

1963 Dynamic 88 New Control Arm Bushing Issues

Good morning,

New guy here and obtained this 63 locally about a year ago. Saved up my pennies and now have the resources to get some things fixed. The car came with a bunch of extra parts for suspension etc etc.....All of the control arm bushings are ACdelco from Rockauto and I've never had issues with them, so I took the car to the shop in complete confidence. Low and behold these bushings do not fit. The inside diameter is to small for what's needed. This even goes for the stabilizer bar bushings. Too small! I took the part number and ran it through Rockauto and it matches for a 1963 Dynamic 88. So what gives??? Those parts were free with the car, so those were tossed aside and I ordered new stuff from Fusicks. Again, the bushings and stabilzer bar bushings listed specifically for this car are too small!! The stabilizer bar for this car is just over an inch in diameter. I'm getting 3/4". A week has passed with delivery and now I must get my car out of the shop. Total bummer! Who has the correct parts and why are companies out there selling the wrong stuff??? This car is awesome and we are looking forward to driving it this Spring, but this setback is baffeling. I've read that some of these 63 late models ran 64 suspension, but I'm really hesitant on going through a buy this and that, just to return it over and over again. Some guidance would really be appreciated!!! Thank you!!!
Old March 15th, 2022, 10:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ColoradoOlds
So what gives???
The factory part number for your sway bar bushings is 383868. This appears to be sized for a 3/4" bar. It's possible that your car has a larger bar from a later Olds (the one on my 67 Delta is 1", for example). The Moog number is K8204.
Old March 15th, 2022, 11:34 AM

Thank you....the Moog part you referenced is also too small 3/4" K8204. Mine is the larger one at 1 1/16". I did find one on Ebay that is similiar for a later year. I'm going to give that a shot......These control arm bushings are my biggest problem. Thanks again!
Old March 15th, 2022, 11:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thank you....the Moog part you referenced is also too small 3/4" K8204. Mine is the larger one at 1 1/16". I did find one on Ebay that is similiar for a later year. I'm going to give that a shot......These control arm bushings are my biggest problem. Thanks again!
1 1/16" is not a stock front sway bar for a 1963. I said the Moog part number was 3/4", which is what the stock front bar was.

The factory upper control arm bushings for 1961-63 full size cars is P/N 5675062, which is the same as Moog BR88. The Moog kit number is K5171, which is long out of production. Bushing OD should be 1.688".

Note that 1964 is different - P/N 388213, which is the same as Moog BR76.
Old March 15th, 2022, 12:34 PM

Sorry, my miss understanding about that sway bar. It just dawned on me that this car is equipped with a tow hitch. Maybe why that bar is larger and maybe the suspension is beefier? Thank you for the numbers. I'll look in to these. My new Uppers from Fusicks ID are 11/16" and lower ID is 27/32", I don't have the right measuring devices here at work to check the OD. The mechanic stopped when he noticed the ID on the uppers were too small and wont fit on the bar. I can only assume that the lowers are ok. The search continues. Thanks again.
Old March 15th, 2022, 01:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Sorry, my miss understanding about that sway bar. It just dawned on me that this car is equipped with a tow hitch. Maybe why that bar is larger and maybe the suspension is beefier? Thank you for the numbers. I'll look in to these. My new Uppers from Fusicks ID are 11/16" and lower ID is 27/32", I don't have the right measuring devices here at work to check the OD. The mechanic stopped when he noticed the ID on the uppers were too small and wont fit on the bar. I can only assume that the lowers are ok. The search continues. Thanks again.
Once again, there was only one sway bar offered on the 1963 full size cars from the factory. Contrary to what people may say on the interwebs, there was no factory "tow package" offered. In fact, Olds never even offered a factory tow hitch.
Old March 16th, 2022, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Once again, there was only one sway bar offered on the 1963 full size cars from the factory. Contrary to what people may say on the interwebs, there was no factory "tow package" offered. In fact, Olds never even offered a factory tow hitch.
Do you know which years carried that size of a sway bar? The previous owner towed an airstream trailer with the car for a very long time. Could it be possible that he requested beefed up suspension? Once I get the car back from the shop, I can get measurements for myself, so I can get a visual and an understanding on what's going on.

Thanks.
Old March 16th, 2022, 01:42 PM
Phantom Phixer

The '63 88 models had a 3/4 in sway bar.
The 98 models had a larger diameter sway bar ( 1&1/16 )'
This larger bar was also installed on the 88 police package.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; March 16th, 2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old March 16th, 2022, 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=Charlie Jones;1413398]The '63 88 models had a 3/4 in sway bar.

[/QUOT

Excuse my ignorance here. I'm just trying to have a nice driver car here. Do you think the 1963 98 control arm bushings are bigger than the Dynamic 88?

Thanks!
Old March 16th, 2022, 06:22 PM
Phantom Phixer

[QUOTE=ColoradoOlds;1413422]
Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
The '63 88 models had a 3/4 in sway bar.

[/QUOT

Excuse my ignorance here. I'm just trying to have a nice driver car here. Do you think the 1963 98 control arm bushings are bigger than the Dynamic 88?

Thanks!
The parts book shows only one number for all '63's (except

F-85)
I put a 98 sway bar on my '63 Dynamic.
When I installed it, the first set of bushings I got did not fit. (Moog I think ?)
The second set were AC / Delco. They worked, but a very tight fit.
Old March 16th, 2022, 06:30 PM
Phantom Phixer

Does this car have a rear sway bar?
If it does, then it may have been ordered with police suspension.
If not , then someone must have installed a 98 sway bar.
Old March 17th, 2022, 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=Charlie Jones;1413484]
The parts book shows only one number for all '63's (except

F-85)
I put a 98 sway bar on my '63 Dynamic.
When I installed it, the first set of bushings I got did not fit. (Moog I think ?)
The second set were AC / Delco. They worked, but a very tight fit.

Thanks for the info.....Were the AC/Delco control arm bushings for a 98? Interesting that people swaped sway bars. Did these cars have a lot of roll up front from the factory? I'm still trying to figure out if there's a different size control arm bushing shaft that is larger out there? That is larger than 3/4". The inside diameters are to small for the shaft.
Old March 17th, 2022, 08:26 AM
Phantom Phixer

Here's a few pics from my build thread;
This is the Moog bushings installed;

This is the AC / Delco bushing installed;

And this is a pic of the bushings along with the boxes with the part numbers;

These cars handled pretty good for a large heavy car.
The installation of the larger 98 sway bar was an upgrade to make it even better.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; March 17th, 2022 at 08:35 AM.
Old March 17th, 2022, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Here's a few pics from my build thread;
This is the Moog bushings installed;

This is the AC / Delco bushing installed;

And this is a pic of the bushings along with the boxes with the part numbers;

These cars handled pretty good for a large heavy car.
The installation of the larger 98 sway bar was an upgrade to make it even better.
Thanks,

I've got one coming similiar to the right bushing pictured. 1 1/16" Saving this photo for future reference if needed.

You have never experienced control arm bushings needing a larger inside diameter? Larger bushing shafts with thicker outside diameters? Since the shop is refusing to take the control arms apart because they claim my bushings are too small, I'll probably have to try and dimantle them myself. Not what I want to do with cold weather and space restrictions. I need to know for my self and learn something new about these cars.
Old April 6th, 2022, 05:21 AM

Have you tried to look into polyurethane bushings?
Old April 6th, 2022, 10:51 AM

I have the front end pulled apart in my garage right now. Not something I wanted to do due to space and I have the money to farm it out. It is what it is.....From what I can tell right now, the parts from Fusicks will work. The mechanic was worried about the bushing "bar" being to thick and not accomodating the bushing. As you can see, it reduces in size.

I'm looking to get a press and just do this myself. More to come. Thanks!!
Old April 6th, 2022, 11:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have the front end pulled apart in my garage right now. Not something I wanted to do due to space and I have the money to farm it out. It is what it is.....From what I can tell right now, the parts from Fusicks will work. The mechanic was worried about the bushing "bar" being to thick and not accomodating the bushing. As you can see, it reduces in size.
This is why there was a question? I'd be skeptical of that "mechanic". The inner sleeve of the bushings is designed to bottom against the step on the shaft so it clamps into place. The mechanic didn't think to look at the open end of the old bushing for comparison?
Old April 6th, 2022, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This is why there was a question? I'd be skeptical of that "mechanic". The inner sleeve of the bushings is designed to bottom against the step on the shaft so it clamps into place. The mechanic didn't think to look at the open end of the old bushing for comparison?

That's the thing.....I don't know what his findings were or how he came to these conclusions. I've never taken an Olds apart, so I knew this was going to fall in my lap and be a good learning experience for me. Better than possibly having the car stranded in a shop and getting a tow.
Old April 6th, 2022, 06:01 PM
Phantom Phixer

That's the thing.....I don't know what his findings were or how he came to these conclusions. I've never taken an Olds apart, so I knew this was going to fall in my lap and be a good learning experience for me. Better than possibly having the car stranded in a shop and getting a tow.
Glad to see you're on the right track with your lower control arm bushings.
Do you have the 1963 Oldsmobile Service Manual ? If not, it's the best investment you can make.
Original printed copies are preferred. There are several on E-Bay now;
1963 oldsmobile service manual: Search Result | eBay

Here are a couple of photos from my build thread that may be helpful'
I used pieces of PVC pipe and large sockets to push them in place.
I bought a 1 ton Harbor Freight arbor press and it was barely adequate for the job.
I would recommend a two ton arbor press, maybe get a used one on E-Bay.

If you also decide to do the lower arms ( which I would recommend ) I do have the special tool (plate) that is used to press those in.
I would loan it out for a $50 deposit. PM me.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; April 6th, 2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old April 6th, 2022, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Since I've never owned a press, I've always used a shop hammer, a vise, and the appropriate socket or piece of pipe to install the bushings. Takes about 15 minutes to bang them in.
Old April 8th, 2022, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the tips and those arms look nice. I'll be painting mine up as well. I definitely don't have the correct tools other than a Harbor Freight ball joint press. Which doesn't work very well with the bar going across the middle. I banged out several lower arms bushings enough to get the bar out. Still frusterating without the right stuff laying around. I reached out to a friend of a friend who will take them on Monday and finish off all of the bushings and balljoints. Hopefully have it all back together in the next few weeks. In the meantime, I think a new radiator and water pump gasket will be in order. I'm not a stickler on keeping things OEM. I have a nice Champion aluminum radiator in my 62 Impala. Is there a nice aluminum match out there for these cars? I haven't begun to look yet.Thanks!!!
Old April 8th, 2022, 08:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

The trick to installing those UCA bushings without a proper press is to use a bench vice. Open the jaws to just clear the opening in the arm. Lay the arm on top of the jaws, position the shaft as needed, and install the bushing using an appropriate-sized socket or pipe and a hammer. You might need a spacer under one side of the arm to allow it to sit flat on the jaws. I apply a little grease to the outside of the bushing sleeve to help it go in. Note that in some applications, there is a specific dimension that the bushing needs to be pressed into the arm, so pay attention to the CSM. And of course, do not torque the fasteners on the ends of the shaft until the weight of the car is on the suspension.
Old April 8th, 2022, 09:29 AM
Administrator

All of the bushings I have ever worked with have stop molded into the metal shell for positioning. They are pretty much stupid proof to install.
Old April 8th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
All of the bushings I have ever worked with have stop molded into the metal shell for positioning. They are pretty much stupid proof to install.
I thought that at one time also...
Old April 14th, 2022, 04:49 PM

Hello, I too am having issues finding lower control arm bushings for my 64 dynamic 88. I have located front upper part # from moog. K6108. However i cannot find a replacement part. any help will be appreciated

Regards Javier
Old April 14th, 2022, 05:35 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by hundayguy
Hello, I too am having issues finding lower control arm bushings for my 64 dynamic 88. I have located front upper part # from moog. K6108. However i cannot find a replacement part. any help will be appreciated

Regards Javier
Rock Auto has them;
More Information for ACDELCO 45G9012 (rockauto.com)
Old April 14th, 2022, 07:11 PM

Lower Control Arm Bushings

The 1961 - 1963 OLDS Full Size UPPER Control Arm Bushings are the difficult ones to find from conventional channels, and I have mentioned many times on this site, that I keep four sets in stock , from California.....

The 1964 OLDS and up UPPER Control Arm Bushings are still commonly available from MOOG ---
K6108, and very inexpensive.....

The 1961 - 1964 OLDS Full Size LOWER Control Arm Bushings have been,, for years,, in the same difficult to find Bushings from conventional channels...
It appears that, as Charlie Jones indicates above ^^^, that the " A C Delco Chineseum line now has them, *** I F *** they are correct ?!?!?

At $ 27.79 each , that is $ 111.16 for a set, to FIND OUT,, if they are correct ?!?!?
(Has anyone tried them ?!?!?)
I have the Definitively Correct ( I have sold 40 sets) of the California made 1961 - 1964 OLDS Full Size LOWER Control Arm Bushings, that I usually sell @ $ 35.00 each = $ 140.00 / set....
If anyone wants proven, many times tested, U.S.A. made Bushings, (I have 4 sets in stock)
I will do them for you for $ 30.00 each = $ 120.00 for a set..... How is that ??

As ever, always best to simply call me --- 516 - 485 - 1935 --- Craig......

Last edited by mpolds; April 14th, 2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old April 14th, 2022, 09:08 PM

Mobileparts Craig,

I will let you know if the Chineseum bushings will work. unfortunately, I ordered them before you posted reply.

regards Javier
Old April 14th, 2022, 09:46 PM

Javier,
If I were you, I would be in a hurry to cancel that order..... if they are wrong,, and you've opened boxes and / or ruined them --- now you are out over $ 130.00 --- $ 111.76 + tax + shipping.... and you won't get a refund....
Craig....
Old April 15th, 2022, 06:19 AM

Craig, I took your advice and cancelled order. I guess I will be needing one of your sets of bushings. How do you want to receive the money $120.00. ?
Old April 15th, 2022, 06:56 AM

Javier,
SMART MOVE.... you get them, they're wrong, now they won't take them back, it is a nightmare, and you are out that money....

It is already Friday morning, and I am off to Spring Carlisle on Monday, so call me immediately....
Heck, if you are near me, you can pick them up today !!!

I am in West Hempstead, Long Island, New York.... 516 - 485 - 1935..... Craig....
Old April 15th, 2022, 02:52 PM

Javier is in California,
He paid for U.S.A. Bushings today, I gave him extra discount, and expedited shipping, and
Sent today / Friday from New York; Javier will have them on Monday !!!

Javier is a Great Guy and a gentleman... I will service you anytime....

Thank you again, Craig.....
Old April 15th, 2022, 06:11 PM

Thank you very much for the kind words and also for the extra discount and prompt service. Wow!! really good service.
I will be installing these bushings and new coil springs in all 4 corners this coming weekend.

Thanks again Javier
Old April 27th, 2022, 08:56 AM

Update....I was able to tackle most of these bushings and ball joints on my own. The mechanic pressed in the lower ones with ease, but would not touch the uppers. The uppers would kick off to the side on the press. I said screw it and purchased a grinding wheel set from Harbor Frieght and rented a bushing press from Advanced Auto and began my quest. I very gently honed out the center slots of the upper control arms. It didn't take much sanding to see a difference in the way the bushings would settle in. I used the press and air impact gun to get them in and I was very happy with the result. I learned a lot and will have much more confidence if I need to do it again for a friend or myself. About a month wasted, but the car is mobile again!! Thanks for all your insight!!!
Old April 27th, 2022, 08:57 AM