1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Gas Tank Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2020, 01:48 PM

1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Gas Tank Alternatives

My gas tank developed a leak at the front seam.
I plan on either fixing or replacing with the 71-72 Buick lesabre model GM61A if it will fit.
Can anyone confirm fitment? Tank is unbaffeled.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-tank/spectra-premium-fuel-tank-gm61a/797060_0_0
Old March 28th, 2021, 03:34 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Have you replaced the tank with the GM61A and did it fit well or were modifications necessary?
Have you also replced the fuel sending unit with the one for the buick, or was the original kept and did it fit to the tank?
Old March 29th, 2021, 06:46 AM

I recently ordered one (GM61A) via Rockauto and it should be delivered this week. The dimensions look like it should fit including mounting strap location of 9.5 in (from center of strap to edge of tank).
KUDOS to another member just recently posted this info on a related post, noting that he had spoken directly with the Spectra Co. about strap location measurements of 9.5 in which I then confirmed were identical to my car. I don't know if the gas gauge will fit or not but will post back.
Old March 29th, 2021, 09:21 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

sounds good - keep us in the loop !
Old March 30th, 2021, 05:53 AM

Gm61a

Tank arrived.

GM61A

Old April 4th, 2021, 05:36 AM
RWK

Looks good, I have one coming also, anxious to see how it fits. especially the neck.
Old April 10th, 2021, 06:45 AM

Just a brief update on the status of my gas tank install which has been delayed due to other priorities. My local mechanic has this on his schedule for April 20th. He estimates it to be a two hour job which translates to $100.00.
Fingers crossed that the GM61A will fit without any major modifications. Will post back later.
Old April 10th, 2021, 06:50 AM

Thinking now that Ishould probably have new rear shocks installed at the same time while the car is on the lift. Any recommendations for rear shocks? Front shocks were replaced last year along with Pittman arm bushings.
Thanks.
Old April 10th, 2021, 07:22 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

When I received my 69 2DR HT here in Germany after it was shipped from the SF bay area, I brought her to a local garage for doing the conversion to German regulations and a complete check, tune-up and "big service".

At that time, also all shocks heve been replaced by new ones from KYB (can not say the exact type, but I assume just standard shocks have been installed) and I am happy with them, at least I can not complain.

I think you can get KYBs for a very reasonable price from Rockauto.

my 69 Delta88 Custom Holiday-HT
Old April 12th, 2021, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by snail
When I received my 69 2DR HT here in Germany after it was shipped from the SF bay area, I brought her to a local garage for doing the conversion to German regulations and a complete check, tune-up and "big service".
I know German regulations ensure a safe car, just curious what upgrades had to be done to a 69 Olds to meet German regulations?
Old April 12th, 2021, 09:29 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

there are a lot of things to be considered
e.g. headlights must comply to european standards and have to have for example "e"-mark on the glass (sealed beam not allowed).

the sidemarkers must not be illuminated with active parking light. Indicators must be yellow instead of red,
Cat´s eyes/reflectors needed on the tail. Hazard lights are mandatory (69 already has this), CO2-emissions have to be correct (all cars up to 68 don´t have to fulfill),...
AC must be converted (type of freeon).
Of course for some of them special permits are possible (like for the Delta there are no yellow lenses available for indicators at it is the same lens for light/indicator, or if
the conversion would cause costs that exceed a reasonable range.

Additional to these things also the car must fulfill all requirements regarding safety (no cracks in the gass, brakes will be tested on a stand (must be strong and equal (left/right)),
suspension must be good (no play, no worn bushings), steering must not have to big play, shocks must not to be weak, no rusted throgh areas (even on body).

And to get the chance to register as a historic vehicle, there are also requirements regard appearance (paint, interior, ...).

Therefore a car that is in fair to average condition (not too bad), will cause a well noticable amount of work and money until you can register and drive it over here...

I assume in US my delta would be rated at least good/above average but anyhow it took me 3 grands to have it ready for the roads here (if you do the work on your own
I assume you can save two thirds of that, but you need the space, the tools/equipment and the time...
Old April 13th, 2021, 06:41 AM

Thanks. All very reasonable. I remember many years ago a friend from Germany told us how rust holes in the body had to be fixed before the car would pass inspection. I think he also said no oil leaks allowed. Here in the US as long as there is enough body to hold the lights in place you can pass inspection. Frame has to be good, brakes, suspension etc...In NY cars earlier than 1996 don't need an emissions test.
Old April 13th, 2021, 09:49 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

It is correct - any leaks are also critical.
I mean if téngine or tranny is slightly wet, this will be accepted but if there are any drops visible, this is a "no go", too.
Old April 13th, 2021, 12:16 PM
RWK

Up date on gas tank GM61A, It's close!! It will require some mods, the mounting locations, the stamped protruding pieces welded to bottom of trunk are too wide, (2") on the car to fit the tank indentations, they would have to be modified, or moved, The tank straps will also be ok AFAIK, maybe a slightly longer bolt, Tank center to center about 15", car is about 17", IMHO, I think its doable, filler neck seems ok also, but did not have tank all the way up do to the interference, I think I'll send mine back, knowing it's an option, and continue repairing my og. tank my new sending unit fits this tank and the tank is baffled,FYI

GM61A Outside to outside mount slot

72 D88 outside to outside mounting pads

72 D88 center to center mounting pads

Possible to modify mounts by narrowing here, Remove narrow and replace??

72 D88 tank mounts.
Old April 20th, 2021, 07:59 AM

Just a brief followup to let everyone know that the GM61A gas tank fit perfectly in my 69 Delta.
It took my mechanic 45 minutes to do the swap. I found the original build sheet on top of the old tank although it was mostly illegible.
Old April 20th, 2021, 11:00 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Really good news !
Maybe I should also check whether I can also find a build sheet on top of my tank, too
Old April 20th, 2021, 11:47 AM

Much to my surprise, I was able to clean up the build sheet. It was mainly very dirty/dusty

Before cleaning

After cleaning with a brush.
Old April 20th, 2021, 02:25 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Originally Posted by 1969 88 Convertible

After cleaning with a brush.
Cool !
Old September 22nd, 2021, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1969 88 Convertible
Just a brief followup to let everyone know that the GM61A gas tank fit perfectly in my 69 Delta.
It took my mechanic 45 minutes to do the swap. I found the original build sheet on top of the old tank although it was mostly illegible.
Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I had a couple of questions on this swap. Were you able to reuse the original sending unit, or did you gat a new one to suit the GM61A tank?

I see in another thread that Joe has stated the tanks are the same for 67 through 69 Delta 88s, so I am assuming that this swap is just as straightforward in a 68? Has anyone done this to confirm it's as simple for the 68 as it is the 69?
Old September 22nd, 2021, 04:32 AM

Gm61a

Originally Posted by Tokyo Delivery
Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I had a couple of questions on this swap. Were you able to reuse the original sending unit, or did you gat a new one to suit the GM61A tank?

I see in another thread that Joe has stated the tanks are the same for 67 through 69 Delta 88s, so I am assuming that this swap is just as straightforward in a 68? Has anyone done this to confirm it's as simple for the 68 as it is the 69?

I was able to reuse the original sending unit.