1975 Delta 88 - Convertible switch removal ++

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2017, 07:59 AM

1975 Delta 88 - Convertible switch removal ++

I recently acquired a 1975 Delta 88 convertible. Just came out of a barn after 20 years storage. 72,000 miles with a 455 engine in it, and the original engine (350) up in the barn.
I've replaced tires, brake lines, manifold gaskets, and the gas tank. The door and top seals are in progress.
Last week the convertible top switch quit working. (I disconnected under left side dash connector and can jump it to run the top.) I want to replace the switch, but cannot figure out how to remove the old one without full dash disassembly.
Is it bolted into place?
Held with Clip?
Does it push in from the front, or from the back?

Other items of interest:
Dead clock replacement?
Cruise control replacement, or repair?
Old August 9th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Oldsdruid

Remove radio ***** and then pull the woodgrain trim panel towards you. It's mounted with splined pegs and may take a little umph to remove if it's never been off. Once the panel is out the way you should be able to get at the top switch. Pry it out of the dash structure and if you're lucky there's enough slack in wiring to unplug it.

Same switch used 74-75, and 74-76 Custom Cruiser tailgate (or window, can't remember for sure and parts books are packed up) switch is the same.

Clock can be removed from inside the glove box. Reach up under it and wiggle till it comes out and drops out into the glove box. It's held on with same type splined peg as the dash trim plate. There are several companies that can repair your clock or convert it to quartz movement. I use Auto Instruments in Martinsville VA mainly because they're close by. They're converting my Cruiser wagon's clock to quartz now. Expect to pay in the $175-225 range,which shocked me at first till I remembered I paid $115 to convert one 25 yrs ago.

Check with your parts guy to see if he can get you a CC regulator. If problem's in the turn signal lever switch it's gonna get expensive. Check all the vacuum lines, wiring and fuse to make sure where the problem is.

Strongly recommend purchase of a 1975 Olds factory service manual and Fisher Body manual. Those will be invaluable for working on this smile-inducing beast.
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:23 PM

Thank You for the response. I'll be working on it soon.