1978 Delta floor shifter handle upgrade

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2022, 12:09 PM

1978 Delta floor shifter handle upgrade

Looking to confirm the floor shifter handle for a 1978 Cutlass is the same as a 1978 Delta .....I have broken multiple shifter handles on my 1978 Delta 88 over the years - very poorly designed all plastic . GBodyParts.com has an upgraded assy. made out of aluminum , appears to be the same but is listed for a cutlass.
Appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

They are the same P/N for all A- and B-body applications for each color.

Old January 20th, 2022, 06:24 PM

Ok Thank-You
Old January 20th, 2022, 08:21 PM

If you're talking about the "upgrade kit" that gbodyparts.com sells, that isn't going to do what you think it will do.

The body of the shifter handle is plastic and covered with the colored vinyl to match the interior. Over time, with use and abuse, the internal plastic body cracks/breaks and now you have this wiggly shifter handle that just simply sucks because it's neck was broken. Most of the time it gets bumped hard with a knee or not palming the entire shifter handle to apply steady force to the center of the handle area. But, sometimes it just breaks because as you say, it crummy plastic. Only way to fix is with a new T-handle. I will say this again- those Gbodyparts.com aluminum parts kits WILL NOT FIX THIS ISSUE if your core body is busted. Even the new reproduction handles have the plastic body inside. So those aluminum slide pieces, etc., won't matter. Unless the inner body shell is made of aluminum, which I doubt, you'll always be running the risk of busting the T-handle. JMO.

They do have an aftermarket all-aluminum handle, but IMO it looks out of place. You may like it, though.
Old January 21st, 2022, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the reply , I ordered the handle assy. last night I think you may be right but for $80 I am willing to give it a shot . I am trying to stay away from an aftermarket shifter .
Old January 21st, 2022, 10:21 AM

Everything 69HO43 said and then some: I had this set and I ditched it. I placed the alum inner parts in an NOS handle and it proved to be a bad move. Nothing fit or worked right. And, the parts on either end and the bottom are brushed aluminum instead of chromed plastic, so they just don't match or look right with the rest of the interior's brightwork. I had them in my car about 2 weeks and removed everything.

I did however buy one of their shifters (not the extra cost shorty shifter) since I have a 200R4 in my 79 Calais a few months ago but I've yet to install it. Looks like the real deal though, and the chrome shaft is really well done. And Joe P nailed it, these are the same for the Delta 88 as with the Cutlass, the D55 option. Same shifter, same console, etc., 100% interchangeable.