1984 Olds 88 Cruise Control Switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM

1984 Olds 88 Cruise Control Switch wiring

We just recently took possesion of my wifes greatgrandfathers 1984 Olds Delta 88...(He bought it new...she's the fourth generations) At some point the multifunction lever had been broken off...(the turn,wiper,cruise control switch...it was glued back together with the cruise control wires broken off at the base of the lever and un accessible...I plan to replace the lever so I can regain the use of the cruise control...however before I do I want to make sure it works...I am looking for a wiring schematic or diagram.....or someone to tell me which of the four wires to touch together or connect to activate the cruise control....once I verify that it is functionable..I will spend the $75.00 for a new lever at Napa....there appear to be four wires. that are hanging approx 2.5 inches out of the steering column by the lever.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
car guy

I have a used switch in as 84 Delta. Chrome is TX sun heat damaged nut is nut broken. Car is about to go to the crusher so if you need anything else let me know. I will pull and ship the whole switch assembly 40.00 shipped to your door.

LKM
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Skip584
We just recently took possesion of my wifes greatgrandfathers 1984 Olds Delta 88...(He bought it new...she's the fourth generations) At some point the multifunction lever had been broken off...(the turn,wiper,cruise control switch...it was glued back together with the cruise control wires broken off at the base of the lever and un accessible...I plan to replace the lever so I can regain the use of the cruise control...however before I do I want to make sure it works...I am looking for a wiring schematic or diagram.....or someone to tell me which of the four wires to touch together or connect to activate the cruise control....once I verify that it is functionable..I will spend the $75.00 for a new lever at Napa....there appear to be four wires. that are hanging approx 2.5 inches out of the steering column by the lever.
Ok, as far as the wiring, there is a connector that it should be attached to. The multi lever has the other connector that joins up. Are you sure this is a 1984? It sounds more like a later model if it has four wiires (blue red yellow and green, right?) The 1984 model should have a connector like the one you see in the link I've attached below.

Second, why would you pay that much?? Not bashing NAPA, just that 75 bucks is a lot for a part you can get for a LOT less. Also, have you checked the local wreckers? It will give you a chance to practice taking the part out and replacing it. I've found lots of parts at wreckers that look like NOS because some people never use them. And, I didn't damage my car accidentally taking parts out or putting them back.
Check out this link, it's for brand new multi function switch with cruise and it's less than half what you wanted to spend.
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/cruise-cont...CC00002/703240
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I have a used switch in as 84 Delta. Chrome is TX sun heat damaged nut is nut broken. Car is about to go to the crusher so if you need anything else let me know. I will pull and ship the whole switch assembly 40.00 shipped to your door.

LKM
Hey Richard,
One more post and you're going to be a 442 (posts that is), just like LadynRob.
Git R done bud.