1st Timer: Meet grandpa's "65 Olds Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2023, 11:29 AM

1st Timer: Meet grandpa's "65 Olds Delta 88

Hi All,

First time poster here now that I have taken ownership of my wife's grandfather's 1965 Delta 88. He passed in 1968 and this sat untouched in grandmas garage since then with 17.8k miles on the OD. It was driven and parked last in 1992. Aside from some minor dings and scratches it got in storage (grrrr), it's 100% as it came from the factory. The tires completely rotted flat, so I replaced those to get it rolling.

Since I got it into my garage, I dropped in a fresh battery and have just been geeking out over all the original details. Everything except the clock works. The engine turns over like new and has compression (have not tried to start).

Here is my punch list to startup day.
  1. Drain 25 gallons of 30y/o gas that smells like varnish from a house away
  2. Drop, clean inside and (maybe) line the gas tank.
  3. Rebuild master cylinder (plunger seal deteriorated and leaked onto driver side floor. Thank goodness there's no carpet damage; the original rubber floor mats caught it)
  4. Disassemble and rebuild the 2 barrel Rochester carb (de-gunk insides from varnished gas and use ethanol-proof gaskets/rubber)
  5. Flush all fluids and lines. (However, thanks to Gramp's service records recorded in the owners manual, the oil and trans fluid has 200 miles on it from a few decades ago - it looks, smells and feels new)
  6. Inspect and replace any rubber that shows signs of deterioration or hardness. Amazingly, everything from vacuum hoses to brake lines remain pliant and uncracked. Thank California weather and covered garages, I guess.
  7. Remove and repair radiator - core is seeping from lower left.
I will get more pictures uploaded when I can. Here are a few.

Over 30 years here, but nothing heavy was piled on it

425 Ultra High Compression - Rochester 2 barrel

Engine will clean up nice with mild soap and TLC

Leaving grandma's garage

About to enter its new garage

Dash and OD (17,850)

Fawn interior

Old January 24th, 2023, 12:04 PM

Awesome!

Souns like a good plan of attack. I suggest having the OE radiator re-cored, or replace it with a 100% aluminum aftermarket radiator. I recently had trouble with a plastic/aluminum parts store cheapie radiator.
Old January 24th, 2023, 12:19 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

What a time capsule and treasure. Will be waiting for updates. Congrats.
Old January 24th, 2023, 12:24 PM
Oldsdruid

Recore the original if a rad shop can't stop the leak. An aftermarket aluminum radiator has NO business on a car that original. Hard for me to believe anyone even suggested it.

You have a good plan. Rebuild the wheel cylinders while you're about it. I'd also be inclined to replace the brake hoses.

There are Oldsmobile Club of America chapters in both Northern and Southern California as well as several AACA groups. Any of them will welcome you and your time capsule Delta.

Last edited by rocketraider; January 24th, 2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old January 24th, 2023, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Recore the original if a rad shop can't stop the leak. An aftermarket aluminum radiator has NO business on a car that original. Hard for me to believe anyone even suggested it.
Jeez!
Old January 24th, 2023, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I suggest having the OE radiator re-cored
Exactly - This is the plan.
Old January 24th, 2023, 01:20 PM

@rocketraider Brake lines were a definite "yes, no brainer" - until I saw how perfect they are. I will deeply inspect them again along with all brake hardware and cylinders as well before hitting the road at all. With the single-circuit master cylinder, there's no backup for a burst line or cylinder.
Thanks- I will def will look at a local chapter of OCA!
Old January 24th, 2023, 01:49 PM

VERY NICE ride!!! A coupe in a nice color too!!!

Consider going to a dual master, it's reversible and is a dramatic safety enhancement.

Good luck!!!
Old January 24th, 2023, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Congrats on becoming the caretaker of some of your family history. It looks well preserved and should easily become drivable.
Old January 24th, 2023, 02:04 PM

Very nice, and a two door.
Old January 24th, 2023, 02:18 PM

Beautiful original car, best of luck!
Old January 24th, 2023, 02:41 PM

Wow! That's just gorgeous.
And SOOOOoooooo original.
It should be fun cleaning that up a step at a time.
Get it driving and fall in love with it...then start the other projects.
Good luck!
Old January 24th, 2023, 03:27 PM

Welcome to ClassicOldsmobile. WOW, that car is a "Class" act. I am envious !!!!! Repair the radiator and definitely clean the gas tank.
Old January 24th, 2023, 03:48 PM
Bfg

Very nice! You are very fortunate to have it in the family yet. Your wife’s Grampa would be very proud of you. You are on the right path to keep it as original as possible. A set of the optional wire wheel hub caps would really set it off too!
Old January 24th, 2023, 04:06 PM

"your only original once" rebuild or restore everything you can, wow very nice
Old January 24th, 2023, 04:49 PM

What a beautiful car and true time capsule! My only suggestion is to only replace the parts that are needed to make it safe and road worthy. Anything that does need replaced I'd try and get NOS parts for the replacement. Then I'd drive it and promote it as a "True Survivor". Best of luck and please send us updated pics as you move forward.
Old January 24th, 2023, 04:54 PM

Thank you for sharing with the group and keep the updates coming. Congrats being Grandma and Grandpa's Old Olds new caretaker what an honor, actually a bit rare, lucky their granddaughter found ya. Good for something anyway... Many more smiles left in that car. Enjoy them all

Many here willing to share what they have learned over the years and help out.

Keith
Old January 24th, 2023, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
lucky their granddaughter found ya.
Truth indeed.
Old January 24th, 2023, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
My only suggestion is to only replace the parts that are needed to make it safe and road worthy. Anything that does need replaced I'd try and get NOS parts for the replacement. Then I'd drive it and promote it as a "True Survivor".
Thank you - Exactly the plan. Only light cleaning/detailing of the engine compartment and I will polish the lacquer paint because I know it will come back to life amazingly well.
Old January 24th, 2023, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
"your only original once"
My favorite line.
Old January 24th, 2023, 06:59 PM

Consider installing a fuel filter before the fuel pump temporarily after rebuilding the carb and cleaning things up. The filters in the carb are small and can clog quickly, plus the less the fuel inlet nut is disturbed the better.

Good luck!!!
Old January 24th, 2023, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oldster65
Thank you - Exactly the plan. Only light cleaning/detailing of the engine compartment and I will polish the lacquer paint because I know it will come back to life amazingly well.
That's great! 👍 One final suggestion, I know you said the oil and tranny fluids looked/smelled/felt alright. However, you have a pretty special car there, and if it were mine, I wouldn't take a chance that either the oil or the tranny fluid hasn't degraded some after all that time. For the price of the fluids, filters, and a little labor, I think it would be very prudent to change them both before start-up. Just my 2-cents.
Old January 24th, 2023, 07:58 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Very nice score. Hats off to the previous caretaker. Your turn now.
Thought Id share this attachment with you.
Steve
Old January 25th, 2023, 09:22 AM

@droldsmorland Thank you for this excellent resource!
Old January 25th, 2023, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
That's great! 👍 One final suggestion, I know you said the oil and tranny fluids looked/smelled/felt alright. However, you have a pretty special car there, and if it were mine, I wouldn't take a chance that either the oil or the tranny fluid hasn't degraded some after all that time. For the price of the fluids, filters, and a little labor, I think it would be very prudent to change them both before start-up. Just my 2-cents.
I agree --- all fluids and filters is low cost insurance at this point. Thanks.
Old January 25th, 2023, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Consider installing a fuel filter before the fuel pump temporarily after rebuilding the carb and cleaning things up.
Great idea, thank you!
Old January 25th, 2023, 09:36 AM

This is truly my happy place.
Carb disassembled and soaked in a mild (eco) diluted degreaser / dish soap mixture. It keeps all the original gold(ish) patina that harsh carb cleaners can remove. For the tag, soap and water only, as its gold coating is easily washed off. A good rebuild kit is on it's way from Mikes Carburetor Parts (nice resource for proper carb parts). Master cyl kit from Summit is behind that.

carb and master mildly cleaned and prepped for rebuild

Gold carb tag...still gold....

Old January 25th, 2023, 11:26 AM
GCH

Wow what a nice car and i love the 2 door model more than 4 door. I guess you have the same
engine that i have in my Dynamic 88.
Old January 25th, 2023, 11:38 AM

You may already know this...it will have a THM 400 transmission with a "switch pitch" variable vane torque converter. It's a nice feature, like having two different torque converters built into one.

​​​​​
Old January 25th, 2023, 12:19 PM

Thumbs up

it will have a THM 400 transmission with a "switch pitch" variable vane torque converter​​​​​
I did NOT know this! Awesome info. Thank you.
Old January 25th, 2023, 12:28 PM

@Sugar Bear You got me digging and look what I found...

"In the May 1963 CAR LIFE test of a ’64 Starfire with a 394 rated 345hp at 4800rpm and running a 3.42 axle, the old Hydramatic sprinted the quarter mile at 17.2 seconds at 89mph. Gas mileage range was 11-14mpg. An April ‘65 CAR LIFE ’65 Delta 88 with THM 400 variable vane only used a 2bbl carb and single exhaust and was rated 310hp at just 4400rpm. It had about 180lb lower curb weight than the Starfire, but used a far milder 3.08 ratio axle and carried air conditioning, another major disadvantage. Still, it was actually quicker in the quarter with a 17.1 et at 82mph yet MPG range jumped markedly to 13mpg - 16mpg."

https://www.gminsidenews.com/threads...idered.218545/
Old January 25th, 2023, 01:51 PM
Olds Fever

Super clean looking 65... Great piece of family history... Good luck with your punch list and hope everything goes well with your efforts...
Old January 25th, 2023, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oldster65
@droldsmorland Thank you for this excellent resource!
I was going to comment and send an atta boy to drolds for quoting that link. Very thoughtful.
Old January 26th, 2023, 09:52 AM

I would replace all three rubber brake hoses whether they look good or not, replace or rebuild/sleeve all four brake cylinders. Even with great storage conditions, brake fluid absorbs water and rusts whatever it touches.

Once you start it check the oil and level carefully and often. Sometimes a fuel pump diaphragm leaks and adds fuel to the oil (so the oil level will rise and feel thinner). If that happens you'll have to replace the fuel pump too.

Beautiful car. It's amazing it's so original I've owned three 1966s and worked on several others since 1966. 1965s are mechanically very similar. Glad to answer any questions.
Old January 26th, 2023, 11:33 AM
GCH

Consider installing a fuel filter before the fuel pump temporarily after rebuilding the carb and cleaning things up. The filters in the carb are small and can clog quickly, plus the less the fuel inlet nut is disturbed the better.

Good luck!!!
Yes , have a filter before the carb on my 425 engines , have seen the tiny threads at the fuel inlet
Old January 26th, 2023, 01:34 PM

A filter before the carb can/will help but I'm only comfortable with it before the fuel pump. FWIW, on the pressure side of the pump I'll only use a rigid bent and flared tube.

Old January 26th, 2023, 03:08 PM

A filter before the carb can/will help but I'm only comfortable with it before the fuel pump. FWIW, on the pressure side of the pump I'll only use a rigid bent and flared tube.
^^^x2 100%^^^
Old January 26th, 2023, 10:16 PM

What great help! Exactly what good forums are all about!

Added to the punch list thanks to y'all's advice:

8, Replace all (3) brake hoses even though they all look great (save the originals) - I found great OE type replacements at Inline Tube.
9. Replace all fluids even though they look new (don't save )
10. Install in-line fuel filter upstream of fuel pump (temporary, or permanent TBD)
11. Forgot to add - remove wheels and drums, inspect brakes and wheel cylinders/rubber (likely replace or rebuild wheel cyls.)
... more to come, and bring 'em on!

Old January 27th, 2023, 09:33 AM

When inspecting the brake shoes if they are riveted and have plenty of lining I'd leave them. If they are bonded/glued I'd be concerned about the glue not being any good causing the lining to separate from the shoe, in short I'd replace fifty year old bonded shoes sooner than later.

Brakes of that age may contain asbestos. Protect yourself from airborne particles.

Good luck!!!
Old January 27th, 2023, 04:44 PM

When inspecting the brake shoes if they are riveted and have plenty of lining I'd leave them. If they are bonded/glued I'd be concerned about the glue not being any good causing the lining to separate from the shoe, in short I'd replace fifty year old bonded shoes sooner than later.

Brakes of that age may contain asbestos. Protect yourself from airborne particles.

Good luck!!!
Thanks and I fully agree - I had a bad / dangerous experience with bonded on another vehicle - never again.

Quick Reply: 1st Timer: Meet grandpa's "65 Olds Delta 88