'54 324, heater hose connection to engine

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2014, 02:21 PM

'54 324, heater hose connection to engine

Need to connect heater hose to (facing front of engine) upper left rear of block.
I've just installed a rebuilt 324, but where the heater hoses connect they had installed those square plugs. And I forgot to take a picture of my old block at the rear where that hose connects. And do you think I can find that part in my parts piles?? Does anyone have a photo of where the connection is on their 324? So I can at least know exactly what I'm looking for.
This is the first time I've ever done any kind of engine stuff on a car, and I swore I'd photo everything......and I didn't.
Thks for any help you guys can give, Craig
Old November 19th, 2014, 09:45 AM

One attaches at the rear of the engine passenger side, the other comes off the water pump. I have a picture of the rear hose and if you need one of the water pump let me know and I'll get you a shot. The water pump side has a 4 inch nipple that extends it out and allows the hose to be over the top of the generator ...Tedd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
324 engine and others 008.JPG (125.1 KB, 38 views)
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:16 PM

Many thks Ted, that's exactly what I wanted to see. Next week (I'm away for a last deer hunt) I'll re-paw through my parts boxes and see if I've missed it. If not, I have the plate, just the pipe that attaches to hose is missing. The rebuilders of the new engine blocked the centre hole with a 4 sided nut in 11mm. Not NOS I fear.
As for the front conx, I've the pipe for that. Just whiling away the hours plying that front nut(11mm) with wd40 and next week a wee bit of heat.
If I can't find the part , it'll be off to the marine hardware for a bit of pipe construction.
Once again, many thanks.
Still trying to post photos.....followed your advice but I suspect that I'm still missing a. Step. Next week country I reckon.
Craig
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:23 AM

Just an update......I found the part finally. Filed with carbureter linkage parts. No wonder I missed it. Still working on the front plug. I've successfully rounded the square plug, gonna file it square and then apply a heat wrench at the shop, or drill and tap(yikes).
Once all that done......hook everything up, install new rad and tune er up. Really looking fwrd to hearing that 324 burbling away.