'55 olds replacement heater core.

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM

'55 olds replacement heater core.

My heater core started to weep into the cab last spring ( thats November for me) so given the weather I just turned it off and didn't worry about it. over my holidays I did pull it out and took it to a radiator place and they put it in the tank and couldn't find a leak??

Anyway a mate said check the ends of the hose, sometimes if they are cracked thats where your leak is coming from. well they were, so new hoses and it all back together and it has been fine, except the other day I turned it on during a cool morning to defrost the windscreen. Didn't notice a leak, but when vacuuming the car, sure enough a wet patch under the front mat.

I can get it re cored here but the cost seems steep. as in near the price of a radiator. Does anyone know of a place that sells the heater cores off the shelf? I did a search on a few sites and have had no luck.

would really like to buy one outright. If I can't I might just have to go to a japanese heater or some other small car one that I can retrofit. Have done this in other older cars, but I really don't want to in the Olds.

tried fusick
tried ebay
tried doing a search on google

seems you can buy replacement ones but they start for early 60's olds.

Help greatly appreciated.

thanks.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM

leak

check the heater control valve, mine was leaking onto the floor too.
I ended up with a ford P/U valve, in one of the hoses
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:31 AM

X2 on the control valve...I took my heater -'57 Olds- to the rad shop ( York spring and rad service ) and had mine re-cored...cost 204.00 in 2009
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:22 PM

will admit I haven't checked the valve, as I assumed that it wouldn't be it, as I thought if the valve was no good that it would leak all the time? it only leaks when the heater is too the 'on' position.

the valve is up in the firewall is that correct? as it certainly wasn't anywhere near the core when I pulled it. would be happy if its the valve as I'm pretty sure Fusick sell them , and the core I was going to replace the OG one with was smaller. the OG core pumps out some heat that is for sure.

thanks.