'58 EightyEight paint...

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM

'58 EightyEight paint...

Hi All,
If I want to repaint and get close to the original paint as possible.. where would I find the original paint codes etc?.. I've looked for/found the body tags such as at the door jambs and under hood, but don't see one with paint color/codes..... and if trying to keep with original, what was the type of paint used back then?..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sm_IMG_2219.jpg (35.8 KB, 17 views)
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:54 AM

There is a way to determine what color your car was painted. However, you probably won't be able to use the same paint formula that was used in the 50s. They were probably using lead paint then. Today there are far superior paints anyways. A good paint supplier will easily be able to match color for you.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Oldsdruid

Samson, there should be a body data plate underhood with all this info. Look for one that says "Oldsmobile Division" at the top, and look down a few lines. There should be a line "Paint No __" which gives the original two-digit color code for the car.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Registered

The TCP color chip library show it was PPG/Ditzler paint. The original chip sheet has the codes for lacquer and enamel on some colors and others are exclusively lacquer?

Check it out.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:52 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The TCP color chip library show it was PPG/Ditzler paint. The original chip sheet has the codes for lacquer and enamel on some colors and others are exclusively lacquer?

Check it out.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/
Thanks Guys, that helps out A whole lot.

I did attempt to have paint matched - took a good sample [chip] to a new [ for atlanta area] supposed 'high tech' Automotive paint supply company - the Company a national/ International Corp. ,Won't mention Name, with long history of supplying quality auto parts and equipment etc... - anyway, the paint was matched, look great at the shop, However when I did a sample painting [ painted one front fender...], it sprayed on good, look good when it was wet, but when it dried it wasn't even close to the original color on the car and/or the paint chip I used, and was a Metal flake paint. Thank God, I only painted a test section. [ and yes I followed exact manufacturer's instructions... however not saying I'm a skilled auto painter, learning as I go on some of the paint/body work... makes it more exciting and fun that'a way, right?]
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:32 AM

Well at least you are learning and having fun. Go to the supplier you bought the paint from and tell them their paint matching software is a joke. I had my house paint matched at Home Depot and they did an excellent job. If a national chain can do that then surely a specialty automotive supplier can do the same for a car.