'63 Dynamic 4door

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Registered Lunatic

'63 Dynamic 4door

Just another noob checking in...

I'm Brian, born and raised in California, hanging out in the mountains near Yosemite. I recently picked up a '63 Dynamic 88 4 door off of ebay. The car is in amazing condition for what I paid, and I feel like I ripped the guy off... (I think he's on this forum too, haha). It does have issues as it was stored for many many years. Seems that I may need to replace all the brake lines, and I think the gas tank needs cleaning.

I saw on another post that "Inline Tube" is a good source for brake lines. Are there any other sources? Also I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place that cleans gas tanks in central Cali?

I'm also wondering where I might be able to find a 4 barrel manifold for the 394? And if there are any prefab exhaust kits that work well on this car?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to getting to know you guys.
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Welcome Crazy have fun There are good deals on the bay from time to time.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Check out our parts for sale and of course Flea -bay
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Welcome aboard!
Try Performance Suspension Technolgy for other sources on brake lines.
That's who I went through for my project.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Registered Lunatic

Cool, thanks guys!
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Registered Lunatic

Ah I can put up pics now! Enjoy...

Oh..does anyone know if thats an original interior? Seems impossible, but theres burlap under the upholstery, and the padding/stuffing looks pretty old...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
colossis068.jpg (58.5 KB, 47 views)
colossis030.jpg (56.0 KB, 30 views)
colossis033.jpg (49.2 KB, 32 views)
colossis074.jpg (75.1 KB, 65 views)
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Right Stuff Detailing should carry lines for that car.

Gas tank shouldn't be too hard to do yourself with a kit. Check out the POR-15 web site.

-JJ
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:13 PM

i have a 394 4bbl intake. i will talk to my dad about it. he is thinking of getting an old starfire and may want me to keep it till he gets a car. if you don't hear anything from me in the next week you may want to send me a PM. i have the carb for it also. it is off a 62 starfire.
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Oldsdruid

Be aware that changing that car from 2-bbl to 4-bbl may upset the carb-to-transmission linkage adjustment. That adjustment is critical for the transmission to work right. You need a 1963 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual to guide you thru it.

Your interior has been redone in non-original velour cloth. The original was a woven cloth with metallic threads in it, or could have been vinyl.

Inline Tube has brake and fuel lines for your car. I used them on a 64 Starfire and they worked well even in stainless, which were tough to get sealed at the fittings. I don't think Right Stuff has much if anything for full-sized Olds.

Exhaust will be a custom bend job and to do it right, you need the factory left-hand dual exhaust manifold, which is quite different from the single exhaust LH manifold. The one you need was used on 1963-64 88/98/Starfire except 1964 Jetstar 88.
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Registered Lunatic

Awesome info...thank you very much!
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Registered Lunatic

I assume there's a classified section? Where do I find it?
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM

Cant see pics yet but do know for sure they used burlap way back when underneath seat covers....you can buy do it yourself kits that has burlap as part of the re-upholstering system
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Captain of my ship

Smile Welcome

As you see this site is full of usefull info. The top band under the Cassic Oldsmobile banner has ...forum...gallery...encyclopedia etc. If you click on the forum then scroll down you will find the parts for sale and parts wanted sections. cheers
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:00 AM

places to get brake lines

Yes, Inline Tube is an excellent source of new brake and fuel line components. Their parts are close to original appearance. Just watch the pricing. Not sure of the gas tank place to get it boiled out. Maybe you could check with a transmission shop...
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO crazy...
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Talking Welcome to the site

Another land yacht joins the fold. Several large Olds guys on this site and we have a land yacht president as well, he will show of soon and welcome you aboard.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Registered Lunatic

I do love me some Land Yachts, especially when they aren't the kind you see every day...(Impalas)... So I've been digging in to this thing... rebuilding the carb, tune up, brakes are proving to be a mess, so I'm just replacing everything and building my own lines. I hope the booster isn't gone..I've heard they're not available..?
Old July 12th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Captain of my ship

Booster

Not sure if you can get a new one that would work for you but it is possible to find a good used one somewhere. Post an ad on the parts wanted site or check the parts for sale??? One of my favorite cars that I have owned was a 1966 Chev Impala SS. It had the 327 pumped up to around 350 hsp. and had the indestructable 2 speed glide.
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:33 PM

You might get lucky and find the booster at AutoZone. Mine was bad in my 64' F-85 and when I checked they had a rebuilt of the original including master cylinder as a kit ready to install.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Location: Beaver Dams,NY (just south of Watkins Glen-you know,the race track)
Cool We've got 'em surrounded!

We came into the group at the same time,me (Brian)on the east coast, you on the west...now we have the rest right where we want them!HAHAHA!!Just kidding...as a teenager I had a 63 98 convertible,and as a little squirt I spent a lot of time in the back seat of a 98 luxury sedan,both the same color as your 'new' 4dr.Enjoy a fantastic car,and keep us posted on your parts search,if you don't find a manifold easily,I might have something buried around somewhere...Check out my newbie post(the land Detroit forgot)to se what I'm currently up to(or up to my neck in).Welcome!
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy88
Ah I can put up pics now! Enjoy...

Oh..does anyone know if thats an original interior? Seems impossible, but theres burlap under the upholstery, and the padding/stuffing looks pretty old...
WOW very clean! Welcome to the CO, I to love them land yachts!! Keep us posted!
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Registered Lunatic

Yikes, I've been moved! Haha. Thanks guys...I'll try to keep up the ride info. So far I've flushed the oil and cooling system, rebuilt the carb, tune up, new master cyl., and about to replace the front brake system. I may have some further tuning..when I reved it, it puked black smoke and it was unfortuantaley smoking (looked whitish/blue and stanky) the entire 15-20 mins I ran it...seemed to taper off towards the end...I hope.. But I and the previous owner had pre-oiled the cylinders prior to starting. Hope thats to blame. And I'm thinking maybe Tri-Power and stickshift eventually...
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Captain of my ship

fuel

the lack of leaded fuel could also be to blame for the smoke. If you do not use a lead addative you may want to look into it.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Registered Lunatic

Well..previous owner claimed the engine was rebuilt in the 80's..and it is painted blue...Olds motors are orange, yes? And I'd assume the valves would be updated to unleaded fuel. But we all know about assuming...
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM

In 63' the 394's were blue. All other Oldsmobile colors from 61' to 77' are red, gold and bronze.
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the fuel filler on the '63 is in the left quarter panel like on a '64. If you are going to pull the tank, be extra careful to free up the rubber boot around the neck so you don't tear it when you drop the tank. I didn't and I did. . . and they are hard to find. You have to have it because it seals the trunk area where the neck passes through. Good luck!
DW
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Captain of my ship

Rebuilt

If you still have contact with the previous owner you could ask him who rebuilt the motor. Blue is the right color so it is hard to tell what may have been done.
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

Inline Tube has brake and fuel lines for your car. I used them on a 64 Starfire and they worked well even in stainless, which were tough to get sealed at the fittings. I don't think Right Stuff has much if anything for full-sized Olds.
Right Stuff had stainless lines (and OEM) for my '62. Cheaper than I.T.

I don't think I'd get stainless again. They were a b*tch to seal. They're also too shiny in my grimy engine compartment

-JJ
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Registered Lunatic

So how can I find out if my engine is the high or low compression model? I shall be sad if it's the low one...

So I used that crazy search function thingy... The number stamped on the head starts w an "H"....High comp. correct?

Ok, I kept browsing the posts...and one said "23" stamped on the corner of the head means Low comp...arg.

Last edited by Crazy88; July 16th, 2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Registered Lunatic

GRRR....dropped the gas tank today only to find a hole rusted through it. Anyone know where I can get a replacement? IF anyone even makes one for this thing??
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by justinj
Right Stuff Detailing should carry lines for that car.

Gas tank shouldn't be too hard to do yourself with a kit. Check out the POR-15 web site.

-JJ
x2 on Right Stuff Detailing....bought a bunch of stuff from them at the Nats! Great service and selection! Ask for Pat, tell him Erik with the Vista Cruiser told you to call!!!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Registered Luser

If your car is not a super 88, (it is a 2BBL), then orig color should be red....I had a '63 88 Fiesta w/42,000 orig I just sold! Wish I hadn't....
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Registered Lunatic

Appears the orginal color is blue..very close to what it is currently. As far as the brakes...I've got the front done, and I hope just the cyls are gone in the rear. The only real issue I'm facing now is the gas tank. If I can't get a replacement...can I have it repaired? Or is there a way to mount a fuel cell in the trunk with no fear of fumes?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Registered Luser

If it isn't red, then it is turquois(green according to my '63 olds dealer brochure)...red is 4bbl, sorry!

Last edited by ent72olds; July 23rd, 2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Inline Tube has brake and fuel lines for your car. I used them on a 64 Starfire and they worked well even in stainless, which were tough to get sealed at the fittings.
Which were tough to get sealed, the brake lines or the fuel lines (or both)? I just ordered a fuel pump-to-carburetor line from Inline, and I sprung (for a whopping $5.00 extra) for the stainless steel version instead of the OEM steel version. Will I have a problem getting this to seal? What did you do to get them to seal? Thanks.
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Registered Lunatic

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Which were tough to get sealed, the brake lines or the fuel lines (or both)? I just ordered a fuel pump-to-carburetor line from Inline, and I sprung (for a whopping $5.00 extra) for the stainless steel version instead of the OEM steel version. Will I have a problem getting this to seal? What did you do to get them to seal? Thanks.

You should probably PM that guy, he probably isn't watching this thread.
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks. I'll probably give him a day or two and then do as you suggest if he hasn't responded.
Old July 25th, 2009, 10:14 PM

Thumbs up Check this out if it helps!!

GRRR....dropped the gas tank today only to find a hole rusted through it. Anyone know where I can get a replacement? IF anyone even makes one for this thing??

Take it to a rad. repair shop and if they're any good at all they should be able to fix it if only to weld on a patch. I looked for a '63 gas tank for over three years and all I found was tanks in the exact same condition, so be patient and get her fixed. You were asking about it being hi or low compression engine and all two barrel Carbs relate to low compression engines.
Old July 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Registered Lunatic

Well...I looked deeper in to the tank, and the rust hole is even bigger and I found another large hole. Not to mention the enormous amount of rust everywhere in the tank, it may not be salvagable. As far as high/low compression, I thought I read that there were 2 2bbl versions. 260 HP low comp, and 280 HP high comp. And the 260 HP was an option. Option for less HP??? WHAT?!
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Horsepower!!!

Well...I looked deeper in to the tank, and the rust hole is even bigger and I found another large hole. Not to mention the enormous amount of rust everywhere in the tank, it may not be salvagable. As far as high/low compression, I thought I read that there were 2 2bbl versions. 260 HP low comp, and 280 HP high comp. And the 260 HP was an option. Option for less HP??? WHAT?!

If you find another Tank you'll still be fixing it as well, but as far as H.P. is concerned Starfire 394 w. 4 barrel is 345 H.P., and 394 w. 4 barrel standard Cam Hi compression is 330 H.P. so I think you have to read up on more accurate literature that reflects the specs of these Engines !!! I'm curious as to where you got your H.P. ratings.

Quick Reply: '63 Dynamic 4door