'64 Jetstar suspension/brakes/cooling??

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:52 AM

'64 Jetstar suspension/brakes/cooling??

I'm trying to order parts for my '64 Jetstar, & have been given a lot of info I'm not sure about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SUSPENSION; I've been told that some parts are a-body, not 88 series. I need to know what is a-body/what is 88. Can I use parts listed for F85/Cutlass?

BRAKES; Pretty much the same situation... I want to put discs up front.

COOLING; My radiator needs replacing. It is a downflow, w/ intake on Top/Psngr side, & Outflow on Lwr/Drvr side. I have not been able to cross reference one that will work. I don't beleive that the intake is critical, using a flex hose. I<ve had it sugested that if I change my water pump to a'65 type, that I can use a '65 radiator, which I have located.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DonL
I'm trying to order parts for my '64 Jetstar, & have been given a lot of info I'm not sure about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SUSPENSION; I've been told that some parts are a-body, not 88 series. I need to know what is a-body/what is 88. Can I use parts listed for F85/Cutlass?

BRAKES; Pretty much the same situation... I want to put discs up front.

COOLING; My radiator needs replacing. It is a downflow, w/ intake on Top/Psngr side, & Outflow on Lwr/Drvr side. I have not been able to cross reference one that will work. I don't beleive that the intake is critical, using a flex hose. I<ve had it sugested that if I change my water pump to a'65 type, that I can use a '65 radiator, which I have located.
First, do you have a Jetstar 88 (with the 330) or a Jetstar 1 (with the 394)? The suspension and brakes are different. I assume you're talking about the Jetstar 88. The suspension arms, bushings, and ball joints are the same as all other full size 1964 Oldsmobiles. The spindles are unique to the 1964 J88 and mount the smaller (9.5") A-body brake drums. The rear axle is also unique to the 64 J88 but it is the same 8.2" center section used on the A-body cars. It also mounts the smaller 9.5" A-body rear brakes. The control arms and supsension bushings are the same as on the other full size 64s, however.

I don't know if the 65 radiator fits in the 64 core support, but you can swap the water pump. Unfortunately, it is not that easy since the accessory brackets (particularly the PS pump bracket) may need to change also.

Why don't you just have a new core installed in your current end tanks by a good radiator shop?
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Registered

Welcome.

That '64 radiator deal is brought up often, best thing to do is have the radiator re-cored as Joe said.

On the parts deal go to rockauto and they have a cool cascade type catalog with all the years and models. Have parts nobody else carries and real good deals.
I recommend them a lot here and don't even get kickbacks, a lousy discount at the least.

http://www.rockauto.com/