!964 88... Front air dam worth it?

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2014, 04:26 PM

!964 88... Front air dam worth it?

During the last days before putting the car away for winter I gave it one last high speed drive down a nice even and secluded road. I noticed again (this time more due to high speed) the front coming off the road. You could almost feel the steering getting easier. Yup its 50 years old and a BOAT but with a heated garage (first time) I want to do a few things this winter. 1. Is it worth it 2. any ideas as to a supplier that can provide something that works. I know there is nothing original but any suggestions.
Thanks
Old November 13th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Administrator

That's what these cars do at higher speeds they raise up. The only supplier you'll find is what you can fab up, I highly doubt there is anything off the shelf. You might consider lowering the front a little. I carried my mother in law in mine for the extra weight, but the exhaust nor the radio couldn't drown out the screaming.
Old November 13th, 2014, 05:01 PM

Wow I will skip the Mother -in-law and let the car fly off the road first. I have been surfing the web and have found a few I might make work. The new 15 inch tires and the front end work along with shocks/ springs being done this winter will help.
But I got to tell ya.... when I went drove the overpass on the highway the 4000lbs boat almost took to the skies... I know it left the ground. ( 101 mph to be exact)
Old November 13th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Lol...
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I carried my mother in law in mine for the extra weight
This had me on the floor laughing!
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Many years back I drove my mother in law around every weekend and I had to rotate the tires...they went bald on one side. Ha ha.. Seriously is it worth the effort
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by navvet
Many years back I drove my mother in law around every weekend and I had to rotate the tires...they went bald on one side. Ha ha.. Seriously is it worth the effort
Ummm...NO
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:33 PM

If you are only going to drive as a teenager once a year, before you put her away, it is not worth the effort.
Old November 15th, 2014, 01:32 PM

yup is was nice driving like a teen. But even during normal highway driving @ 55-70 mph it is like driving down Edwards Airforce Base runway preparing to take off.I don't mind the effort and costs for the part don't seem to crazy
Old November 15th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Administrator

You got a pic of what your looking at?
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:53 AM

A Superbird wing will help. LOL!
New shocks make a big difference, too. Worn shocks are loose in both travel directions.
But yes, they lift and get light at speeds over 100 mph. Been there in both a '64 Dynamic 88, and a '64 Jetstar 88.
Old November 17th, 2014, 09:57 AM

It's funny how we get used to the handling of newer cars. Here in Texas freeway speeds outside of the cities are 75-80 mph and even your average high riding truck or SUV cruises without drama at those speeds. Then you get in a mid 60s car and try the same thing and Whoa!! Even though folks used to drive them that fast they were never really designed for it. While an air dam might help a little these are probably more important:
  • HD springs
  • HD shocks
  • Suspension bushings and alignment
  • Steering rag joint
  • Low profile radial tires
Still don't know if that will help the sphincter factor over 100 mph, good luck!
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:49 AM

OLDCUTLAS.. I am trying to find a photo to download...most likely something along the lines of those found on 70's mustang. and DON.R... I have the springs and shocks.. ( bad family year to get them put on last summer) I am researching front end parts now. I know what I have ( a boat) and I am not going to go overboard on cost. But new front end parts will do a lot to improve basic highway driving. I have new 15 inch tires (again bad year) and will put those on.
True about todays cars...... If you do not continue to watch your speed you can get in trouble.....80mph feels like 40 in the old cars. Bottom line, I want to have better control and in those moments you need to react to a curve or quick change of lanes I have a better chance of keeping the boat on the road
Old November 17th, 2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by navvet; But even during normal highway driving @ 55-70 mph it is like driving down [B
Edwards Airforce Base[/B] runway preparing to take off.
Well, it is a rocket!
When the speeds were slower the idea in these cars was not to feel the road and float. Now you need the control more and the downside is feeling attached to the road. Maybe not a downside, but different.
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Administrator

I would install the parts you have and get a good alignment. I've driven these old cars most of my life even though they do lift at higher speeds, they are still a comfort to drive.
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Yup when driving @ 55 on the highway they do drive nice. I drove a new Honda the other day over a road I drive many times with my 64...my car was quieter and smoother then the new honda. But You could turn the honda on a dime. No question updating the front end will make huge change. Looking foward to seeing the change next spring. The thing I realy want to improve is the roll as I make curves or make quick lane changes
Old November 19th, 2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by navvet
Yup when driving @ 55 on the highway they do drive nice. I drove a new Honda the other day over a road I drive many times with my 64...my car was quieter and smoother then the new honda. But You could turn the honda on a dime. No question updating the front end will make huge change. Looking foward to seeing the change next spring. The thing I realy want to improve is the roll as I make curves or make quick lane changes

How are your sway bar bushings? I had a '64 Dynamic that rolled over like the Titanic in a cross wind. A sway bar bushing kit cured it.
Old November 19th, 2014, 09:30 AM

That is in the plan for updating the suspension. I was looking on line they are inexpensive....do I need to change out the sway bar or just the bushings
Old November 19th, 2014, 04:37 PM

I guess the front end work should help braking as well. Back on the subject of the air dams.. I am still going to add one. I am finding a dozen differant places to purchase.
I was at a junk yard and found one from a 1970's monti carlo. . Its under snow so It may be awhile 'till I take it off .