Adding tranny fluid to fuel crazy or not

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by wmachine
I did not mean that the article was totally correct, and I'm sorry that was misleading.
Okay, Kurt, but you do get my point, right? In my mind, at least, you're Mr. Primary Source, who runs the Font of Automotive Accuracy at WAC. You work really hard hard to get top quality bottom-line information up and available so that we don't have to rely on hearsay and opinion. I'd have expected you to have posted a link to a GM study we were unaware of, or something cool like that.

I agree, from all that I've read, that tetraethyl lead provides valuable upper-cylinder and valve lubrication, and would say that those who are very concerned about it should just use Octane Supreme and be done with it.

- Eric
Old August 26th, 2014, 08:02 PM

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I guess I will hold off on ATF. The final conclusion I get from all of this is.... ATF does have some backers but all the info you all gave me and the info I have learned about the ATF chemical make-up makes me shy away from its use.
I will continue to use lead substitute ( because I can).It has its backers and for me it gives me some comfort. Glad we had some great feedback on this topic...and we kept it friendly. ...
Old August 26th, 2014, 08:22 PM

"When my father started work on farms in the late '30s a lot of tractors ran on Tractor Vapourising Oil (TVO), which was essentially kerosene, or paraffin this side of the pond.
They were spark ignition engines, you started them on gasoline, and as they warmed up the TVO was heated by the exhaust manifold to vaporise it, then the engine was switched over to run on it.
These engines had something like 4.5-5:1 compression ratio, after WW2 they were superseded by diesel engines.
I remember Dad telling me how they would heat up the manifolds with blowtorches to get them to run on TVO as quickly as possible during the war years, gasoline was very strictly rationed and was a very precious commodity."

Makes total sense Roger and fits with everything I've read on the subject. Thanks
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:27 PM

An old timer was showing me some of his old tractors siting behind the bar and he pointed out the old tank he used to torch the manifold of his tractors...now I know what the hell he was talking about....and yes I am thinking of getting one to rehab. 1930 Farm-All.... like I need this issue in my life!!!!
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:06 AM
Oldsdruid

Farmalls made W30's...

Re Lucas fuel treatment: the stuff works. My 93 F150 will get roughly 2 mpg better fuel mileage using it and it runs much smoother. Non ethanol fuel is not an option since the closest pump is 30 miles east and I rarely have need to go that way.

MMO and trans fluid have been used as fuel system cleaning agents for decades. In the correct proportions, they work well, but as stated, if you get smoke or oily deposits on the bumper, you're using too much.

Trans fluid has also been a standby oil additive for engines with noisy hydraulic lifters for years. The stuff is thin and very high detergent so it cleans gunk out of lifters. Rislone does the same thing but trans fluid is usually cheaper.