Alternator Bracket for 54 Olds 88

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2021, 05:19 PM

Alternator Bracket for 54 Olds 88

I'm working on a 54 Olds 88 for a friend. The engine is stock with the exception of a 3X2 intake. The alternator is mounted on the driver side with a custom made mounting bracket and adjuster. The problem is that there is not enough adjustment with the current bracket. Has anyone else done this type of conversion, and did you have to make all the brackets, or are there some aftermarket ones available? I have been searching the web, but haven't found anything that would work.
I will try and get some pics. tomorrow if that will help.
Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2021, 03:05 PM

Alternator brkt adjustment

I made my own bracket. I have a 324 with a 3 X 2 setup also and moved the alternator to the drivers side to free up the space on the passenger side to mount brackets for the Vintage Air unit. Without seeing what you have, have you considered using a longer or shorter belt in order to utilize the bracket adjustment that you have? Chuck
Old January 13th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The generator was originally mounted on the passenger side. I have an alternator on my 54 and made a bracket which was pretty simple. I have a Sanden compressor mounted above it and power steering on the drivers side in the original location. I used the original bracket on top of the alternator to keep it tight. It took a little modification to work under the AC brackets. I do no have 3x2's.
Old January 13th, 2021, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. Tried a longer belt, but with the adjusting bracket that is there, it is not possible. Do you have any pics. of your setup? I'll post some pics. of what is on there now.
Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2021, 04:41 PM

Here are some pics. of the setup.

Old January 14th, 2021, 11:00 AM

Alternator brkt 54 Olds

It looks to me like the problem is that the alternator is mounted almost directly above the driving pulley. It doesn't appear to be mounted in a position where the arc that the alternator pivots on, matches the curved slot in the brace. I think what you mean is that when you rotate the alternator to tighten the belt, the curved hole in the brace doesn't line up ? One possible easy fix might be to put a spacer under the alternator bracket, raising it upward. If the slot in the brace still doesn't line up you still might have to modify the brace, or make a new one.
I made a wider base from aluminum to attach to the intake manifold. This allowed me to move the alternator mounting more to the side where the belt adjustment is more horizontal than vertical. and align the arc of the slot in the brace. Hope this will give you some ideas, attaching pics of my unit. Chuck

Old January 15th, 2021, 05:20 PM

Thanks! I'll look into that. You're right about the way the adjustment bracket is mounted. maybe by moving the alt over as you suggested will do the trick.
Thanks!
Old January 15th, 2021, 09:29 PM

Glad to help

Hope it works out for you, glad to offer suggestions. Chuck