Any luck with seat covers??

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2023, 02:55 PM

Any luck with seat covers??

Hi all.

I have a 1972 Delta 88, 2 door hardtop. Split bench, no armrest.
Anyone have any luck buying seat covers?
I've gotten covers in the past that were nice, but don't seem to be able to find any more my car.
I even got nice rolled & pleated ones for my 59 super 88.

Let me know!
Thanks
Old December 23rd, 2023, 03:35 AM

You can buy generic seat covers from suppliers like Kanter:

https://www.kanter.com/

LeBaron Bonney used to be their supplier, but they've since gone out of business. I don't know who their supplier is now.

I got seat covers from Automotive Interiors online. They work great and look good if you aren't doing a concours restoration. You can even remove your old seat covers and send them in to ensure an OE fit.

https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/

Finally, here's a well reviewed "slip-on" style seat cover.

https://www.wetokole.com/
Old December 23rd, 2023, 04:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you are looking for pre-made factory replacement upholstery, there isn't enough of a market for any company to make and warehouse them for the Olds full size cars. You will need to have them stitched by an upholstery shop. If you want correct material, SMS Auto Fabrics sells it. Be sitting down when you get the price quote.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 08:49 AM

I just bought the Vinyl about 2 yards only $200 and last year the 2 types of cloth those were about $600 for 3 yards. USD for the front seat.
Canadian $$$ is about 30% more with duty.
These were for my 72 olds 98 from SMS.
The cost I got up here around Toronto to stitch them up was $2000 and another for $2600...
basically like reupholstering a victorian couch labour only, and they both refuse to keep the car in their shop.
I'm going thru with it anyway, because I want to. Not because it makes financial sense lol.

Cheers

Old December 27th, 2023, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nutmeg 72 Olds 98
I just bought the Vinyl about 2 yards only $200 and last year the 2 types of cloth those were about $600 for 3 yards. USD for the front seat.
Canadian $$$ is about 30% more with duty.
These were for my 72 olds 98 from SMS.
The cost I got up here around Toronto to stitch them up was $2000 and another for $2600...
basically like reupholstering a victorian couch labour only, and they both refuse to keep the car in their shop.
I'm going thru with it anyway, because I want to. Not because it makes financial sense lol.

Cheers
I feel the pain, the exchange on the CDN dollar really bites these days. With that we were given a few yards of really nice leather and found material locally for pretty cheap for our 66 LS Sedan. But, as Joe said, sit down for pricing. We were quoted about the same amount to do the front seat. Sorry, food comes first. A couple of piano bench covers from Amazon will have to do for now! The telephone camera makes this look like a horrid match, but, in daylight in the sun, it is a lot closer, close enough when on a tight budget!

Old December 27th, 2023, 07:57 PM

Covers tastefully done.
I'm still so reluctant to turn over the front couch to an upholstery place. What if I never see it again. I don't trust anyone with it really.
Going out tomorrow to check up on a lead for the work see if it works out?

There are absolutely NO seat covers for these large cars. You would think the world only has A-Bodies. Well my 77 Grand Lemans needs the front driver's bucket seat repaired.
The piping split at the seatbelt holding thing above your left shoulder where everyone snagged their hand or coat shirt etc... I had to rip and cut the cable to make it safe.
The cushion although in good shape also has the metal ring that holds the shape split and sag. The upper insert inside the horse collar shape seems to have discoloured and turned black.
The seat covers are available for the Grand Am or Trans Am with GA or GP seats from Ames but only in red vinyl, not the velour Firethorn I need.
I do have a spare drivers seat in the same material but its crispier than the original. Will probably tear removing it never mind wrestling with it to reinstall it.
What to do.... Its only money right.

1977 Grand Lemans Firethorn Velour & Vinyl Interior

1972 98LS Complex Seat Upholstery with Tears

Grand Am Seat Covers
Old December 28th, 2023, 04:59 PM

Stated by Nutmeg 72 Olds, to quote: Covers tastefully done.
I'm still so reluctant to turn over the front couch to an upholstery place. What if I never see it again. I don't trust anyone with it really.
Thanks, being on a budget means being creative with non-safety related items. This one worked out. Did your lead work out? I love the old interior colors, and the Colonnade cars are starting to get the attention they deserve. Yes, I feel that way sometimes too, there is a lot more to Oldsmobile then Cutlass (yes I can say this, my Vista Cruiser is a stretched Cutlass) but of course suppliers are going to go with where they can make the most money from bringing out a product. Thus the scarcity of repro stuff for the big cars, as has often been said on CO. So we need to be ingenious to come up with answers. And take pride in we fixed up these big cars with our brain resources rather then building one out of a catalog. Even that is expensive when you add things up!

Last edited by Olds64; December 29th, 2023 at 04:32 AM.
Old December 28th, 2023, 07:56 PM

You are right. Its easy to build a car from a catalogue, harder with NOS, satisfying finding used parts in a wrecker or donor...
Do as much as one can yourself, that is the point. I also keep my limitations in mind going only so far not to screw things up.
I see your in Burlington...! Hope you can make it out to the car shows Saturdays late afternoons at the Dixie Outlet Mall...
Mississauga Car Club... starts around Victoria Day weekend I think...
The upholstery shop was closed I will check it out in January.
Put up more pix...!
Old December 29th, 2023, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nutmeg 72 Olds 98
Covers tastefully done.
This is a legitimate concern. The only thing I can suggest is make sure you pay with a credit card. Also, be clear with the interior shop that you want your car (or seats) back by X.

When I had the interior in my 71 98 redone by a local shop years ago the owner took an extra week or two to finish. I actually had to track down a short in the package tray lighting that was draining the battery. Overall, I think he did a good job, but I recommended him to a coworker with a classic Chevy Impala and he really dropped the ball that time.