bumper restoration

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM

bumper restoration

I am having a hard time finding a rear bumper for my 64 Jetstar 88....all have the typical rust out at the mounts....who is the best shop to contact about welde/rechrome repairs? This is a driver not a show car so a repair is ok if it is decent...I am in central florida..thanx
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I hit a couple yards when I was in Arizona this week, and two of the yards said they never had that car com in at ALL!! The other couple crushed them.

Maybe try the Bumper Boyz out of California... http://www.bumperboyz.com/main.htm Have not heard good or bad about them, I know they travel to nearly every big swap meet in the country so they must be doing something right to afford that kind of travel. They are coming to the Food Lion Auto Fair in Concord. NC April 12-15. I can see if they have one.

See ya in a few weeks..

John
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I'm finding out the same thing..just keep your eyes open thanx eric
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:28 PM

I checked with bumper boys to do mine and they said 12 weeks to get it back and they dont do there own plating they send they out to someone else. So your paying bumper boys to straighten it and send it back to you but some one else is plating it,and you know if there charging bumper boys you know bumper boys is going to mark it up. just my 2 cents worth.
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM

I was told by the Bumperboys theat they send them to Mexico, less regulations with the re-chrome chem... process vs. the USA
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

try westcoast sheet metal or billions & trillions. Both of those have alot of olds parts.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Hey, i got an Olds price sheet from the Bumper Boyz I can mail you. PM me your address and I'll get it out to you. They are EXPENSIVE!!! I think $600 for your bumper.

John
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:28 AM

I have heard bad things about Bumper Boyz. I have heard the chrome changes colors after about 6 months. The prices aren't bad, but I hear quality just isn't there.
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Retrorocket88
I have heard bad things about Bumper Boyz. I have heard the chrome changes colors after about 6 months. The prices aren't bad, but I hear quality just isn't there.
You have not seen thier prices lately then. $500 to rechome my 72 Cutlass bumper. EACH!!!!! AND I woujld have to pay for shipping to send mine back to them as cores....I think they give like $75 or $100 back.....

I'll find a local person to do it first....

John
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Repair and paint... Just a thought

I am in the process of repairing the famous rust, and painting the bumper the same color as the body. I did a photo-shop mock up, and it looks great. The purist might not like it, but it can always be chromed by the next owner (40 years from now lol). For now, it will look good, and I can maintain it without the need for a chrome shop.

1964 Jetstar 88 convertible
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM

bumperboys are the jcwhitney of chrome bumpers. they a thinly plated junk.they appear to change colors because the plating is so thin that its nearly see thru. stay away from them. there are alot of "chromers"out there and the prices will range from descent to outrageous. beware of the cheap ones, their work usually is too. although, for a daily driver, one of those might be fine. i would gladly pay 600.00 for a quality rechrome of my 55 bumpers. but i suspect i'll be paying much more than that. any bodyshop should be able to straighten and patch your bumper. then you could send it too get chromed. it may cost less that way.
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Smooth
I am in the process of repairing the famous rust, and painting the bumper the same color as the body. I did a photo-shop mock up, and it looks great. The purist might not like it, but it can always be chromed by the next owner (40 years from now lol). For now, it will look good, and I can maintain it without the need for a chrome shop.

1964 Jetstar 88 convertible

That is exactly what I was going to suggest I have a 71 Cutlass that has a very rusty rear bumper, cut out the old rusty metal, strip the chrome off it patch weld a repair panel in the opening grind smooth sand, sand, sand, primer sand, paint.
Old December 1st, 2007, 03:43 PM

Ok guys here a question for you. My 63 dynamic 88 holiday has two spots on the rear bumper that are rusted through!! Is there any way to salvage it or do i have to shell out $1,000 for another bumper. I heard that you can fill in the holes and sand it down or something but i have no idea, im not a mechanic.
Old December 1st, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by chip_gikey
Ok guys here a question for you. My 63 dynamic 88 holiday has two spots on the rear bumper that are rusted through!! Is there any way to salvage it or do i have to shell out $1,000 for another bumper. I heard that you can fill in the holes and sand it down or something but i have no idea, im not a mechanic.
I'd take it off, and send it to a chrome shop
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM

had a local chromer tell me that he does not recomend bumper boys. he said they take in any bumper on exchange wrecked or otherwise. they straighten them best they can and chrome and resell them. problem is the new bumper rarly matches up or bolts up right because it was wrecked and not straighted right, so then you have to straighten it more and ended up rechroming it again. he always recommend fixing your old one and rechroming it.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:06 AM

I found a reasonably straight bumper without rust for my 64 98. The one on there is too far gone to be repaired. Remember if you weld on a bumper there is a chance that the rust will just start again. Better off just to find a bumper that is in decent condition and have it rechromed.