Can a stock delta 88 do a burnout?

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:49 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Reminds me of my first car, a 1968 Vista Cruiser with 350 2bbl, TH375, and open 2.78 rear. The only way it would leave rubber is if I went in reverse for a short distance then slammed it into Drive while still rolling backwards and nailed the gas.

Kids, do NOT try this at home.

Surprisingly, the trans never broke. I first swapped the intake and carb to a Qjet. When I got tired of being beaten by my friend's 67 Mustang, I went for a 425.

MUUUUUCH better.

We use to do that all the time ! It's amazing how durable those old cars were ! The funny thing is , I NEVER had a tranny problem until we bought a newer car .

Remember the Rockford Files ? I use to love pulling those maneuvers with my 67 Cutlass in the mid 80's

Last edited by oldsguybry; June 4th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:39 AM

When I was 16 my dad had a 76 cutlass with a 350 4brl and for some reason that thing was just plain fast,with about 4 other friends in the car too. If you manualy shifted it it was a beast! Couldnt kill that thing it ran forever..
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Question Hmmm...

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
I’m with the "tune" guys. You need to super tune this thing. Timing (all 3 events) plugs wires etc...Bump the timing up until it knocks then back it down...It most likely has points/cond replace them with high quality blue streaks (if still available) or Echlin’s. Are the centrifugal weights under the rotor free? The carb may need a rebuild. Hell toss the 2BBL and get a 4BBL. Even a 2BBL should break the tires if driven correctly and in an optimal state of "tune."
You think the points could make a huge difference? I did replace them last year with a cheap set. New wires/plugs/cap/rotor seemed to make very little difference in how it performed. Rebuilding the carb helped quite a bit but still no rubber smoke. Timing at 12° made an improvement over the stock 8°.

The car is a 455 4BBL with dual exhaust. I just expected it to smoke em with ease with that setup. I know it's got J smog heads, but I didn't think that would kill the low end so badly. Maybe I am overlooking something... Any other suggestions?
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by kndllmtt
Yep, same here. I've got a 69 4 door hardtop with the same 455 2bbl and if I don't pay attention when I pull out of work I'll recreate a scene out of Tokyo Drift
My first car!
That thing would burn rubber for 30 yards in 1st and 2nd
with bias ply tires!!! Of course only the pass. side. .
And we used to do the what we called 'the reverse burnout'.
Back up a little and slam it in low! Can't kill a longtail 400 turbo!
Man, you guys are bringing back some good memories.
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I actually had the very same setup as the OP ... as one of my first cars was a 70 D88 with 2bbl 455.

With an old set of points needing replacement ... it had zilch off the line.

Not only would it not break traction ... it was quite slow from a dig - period.

After a new set of points gapped to spec .....

It would roast the RR tire well into 2nd gear.

In fact I'll never forget the 1st time my father drove it after I did the points.

Him - "Ummm ... what the hell did you do to that thing ?".

Me - "What are you talking about ?".

Him - "A stubborn squirrel wouldn't get out of the road & I'd thought I'd try to scare him. So I stomped on it at like 25 mph ... & the RR wheel broke loose !".

Of course' after him owning a both a 425 & another 455 powered Oldsmobile he should have simply said ..... "bout' time that car runs the way it's supposed to".

And power braking (at least that's what I always called it) that some people have eluded to here previously .....

Would create clouds of smoke that would make most people think the world was coming to an end.
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by AZ455
You think the points could make a huge difference? I did replace them last year with a cheap set. New wires/plugs/cap/rotor seemed to make very little difference in how it performed. Rebuilding the carb helped quite a bit but still no rubber smoke. Timing at 12° made an improvement over the stock 8°.

The car is a 455 4BBL with dual exhaust. I just expected it to smoke em with ease with that setup. I know it's got J smog heads, but I didn't think that would kill the low end so badly. Maybe I am overlooking something... Any other suggestions?
See the /\above/\ post about how something as simple as a set of points can rain on a parade.

While a stock 74 455 won't see results as dramatic as my 70 did ..... you should still be able to make some noise with the 2.73's.

I had a 79 D88 350 with what I'm pretty certain was the stock 2.41's ... & that could still break the RR tire loose w/o too much trouble.

A lighter car for sure ... but quite a difference in torque, not to mention having to breath thru a single exhaust with a catalytic converter.

Any idea what temp it runs at when warmed up fully ?.

I'd imagine it runs pretty warm with you being in AZ.
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:26 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Hmm, maybe the points I got are crap or something. I will try and get a good set soon. The temp stays between 190 and 210. This part of AZ rarely sees in excess of the high 90s in the summer time. I also will be replacing the radiator with a new aluminum core very soon.

Pretty impressive story of your 70, I hope I can change something simple and be surprised like that.

What's a good brand of points? A poster previously mentioned Blue Streak or Napa's Echlin. I can't seem to locate Blue Streak points.
Old June 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
That thing would burn rubber for 30 yards in 1st and 2nd with bias ply tires!!! Of course only the pass. side. .
Funny story about a one-wheel-peel. Had a guy at work bet me my olds wouldn't do a burn out, so I took it out to the street and laid a line about 10 yards long. Went down to the corner, turned around and came back. The guy was waiting for me on the side of street.

"You didn't do a proper burn-out. It should have 2 lines down."

So I backed up, put my LR wheel where the previous line ended and laid another strip going the other way
Old June 4th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Blue Streak is the performance line of Standard Motor Products.

- Eric
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:13 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Cool, so I found what I need through Standard's catalog, finding it for sale is harder. Blue Streak p/n DR-3575CX. Seems like mostly available on eBay. RockAuto only has the cheaper grade CT version.
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:58 PM
68 Delmont 88 Convertible

Hey everyone, new to the site, really enjoying it!

My stock 68 Delmont Ragtop has not problem lighting them up. 455 2bbl.
Old June 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM

I like sharing my video of getting rid of the old POS tires on my old Delta.

Tires sucked SOOOOO BAD, I could spin them off the line, with the 307 running on 2 barrels

http://youtu.be/wGnLHR4EX1k
Old June 9th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Trying to remember member

Frankly, I've never been a fan of this type of tire burning. What is the point of losing traction? A true performance car will hook up. Burning rubber is more a measure of traction than power.
Anyone wanting to run me can look at my tail lights while they are burning rubber. And most recently, that was last weekend.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The only way it would leave rubber is if I went in reverse for a short distance then slammed it into Drive while still rolling backwards and nailed the gas.
Joe, we used to call that "reverse curls". It sent many transmissions to the junkyard.
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by wmachine
Frankly, I've never been a fan of this type of tire burning. What is the point of losing traction? A true performance car will hook up. Burning rubber is more a measure of traction than power.
Anyone wanting to run me can look at my tail lights while they are burning rubber. And most recently, that was last weekend.

Joe, we used to call that "reverse curls". It sent many transmissions to the junkyard.
I guess we were about 17. Buddy had a 71 Toro, I think
we broke the chain doing that shat.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:31 AM

There is nothing that cant do a burnout in the hands of a rubber chunrning smell of smoke loving mnaiac driver. My 67 has a posi & a 2 speed that the switch pitch dont engage on & i can power brake that till it looks like a 4 alarm fire. You also claim that u cant spin on wet pavement ? Something is really wrong or u need me to show u how. LOL...Ive down burn outs in 4 banger Toyota's...
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:36 PM

My 64 Dynamic 88 has had a few unintended tire spins..honest. Last week I was showing the little lady how great the beast has been running since I rebuilt the carb.
I gave the pedal a good push down when the light turned green...unknown to me my rear tires were sitting on the painted cross walk markings.Well when I realized the tires were spinning I kept it going. I haven't done that since high school. To be honest it was a bit fun especially since the smoke the tires made lingered all over the cars behind and beside me.