Chugging uphill

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM

Chugging uphill

My '97 LSS (88) begins to chug when it's climbing an uphill grade. Runs great on the flats, but sputters on any type of uphill grade. I've already changed plugs, wires, air and fuel filters... any other ideas?
The car has 3.8 V-6 (non supercharged) 105, 000 miles and could it be time for new injectors or coil packs? Help please, thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
My '97 LSS (88) begins to chug when it's climbing an uphill grade. Runs great on the flats, but sputters on any type of uphill grade. I've already changed plugs, wires, air and fuel filters... any other ideas?
The car has 3.8 V-6 (non supercharged) 105, 000 miles and could it be time for new injectors or coil packs? Help please, thanks!
Is the transmission downshifting properly when the engine goes under load? Sounds more like a transmission or sensor problem than anything else. Really need a bit more info about exactly what is or is not happening.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM

Now that you mention it, I remember hearing something about a transmission/sensor problem on this model. I'll go find the nearest hill and check it out.
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM

I found a slight up grade yesterday and the car did downshift okay with no hesitation. The problem seems to develop on longer hill climbs. Does anyone know what the duty cycle of the fuel injectors are? Had them removed and cleaned once and usually run some fuel treatment when I change the oil. Trans has been serviced too... fluid and filter.
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:32 PM

I WOULD CHECK THE FUEL PRESSURE AND COIL OUTPUT IF THE PRESSURE IS LOW OR COIL OUPUT IS WEAK COULD GIVE YOU A MISS UNDER LOAD SELDOM HAVE I FOUND INJECTOR ISSUES ON THESE MOTORS.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
........ chug when it's climbing an uphill grade .........
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com...hp?f=48&t=1683

Norm
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM

Great link... thanks!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm going to second the coil pack or ignition module. I've had a couple of cars now that have exhibited this behavior. It feels like the TCC is locking and unlocking, but in reality it's a misfire that is magnified by the fact that the TCC is locked up. In both cases it ended up being ignition that was causing the problem.